Scar Gels, Scar Sheets - Your Opinions - When/Which Ones

lizzybear
on 11/6/09 3:08 am - Olympia, WA
Okay, so my surgeon took the big strip of tape off my incision at my 1-week post-op on Wednesday, but I forgot to ask about lotions/strips, etc..  Most of the stitches aren't showing - just the ones at the very ends over the hips.  All of my steri strips have come off and my husband did a close-up inspection and said except for two mildly red bumps it all looks smooth.

So, my question now - is it too soon to use a scar reducing/lightening aid?

If you've used the strips - which have you used and recommend.  Or is using a scar cream just as helpful?  I remember asking my surgeon pre-op about this, and he said that in his opinion it's not what you use, it's basically the massaging motion from rubbing in the lotions that is what actually helps the scar smooth out and thus lighten up.  Anyone agree/disagree with this?

I'd like to do what I can to make sure it stays smooth and lighten it up at the same time so hopefully it eventually fades more, but I don't want to do anything to it too early and do something to aggravate it.  After all, no one's going to see this scar except my husband and me, and of course the doc.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts!!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/09 4:27 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
First you need to ask your surgeon if he/she says it's ok to start using scar cream and/or silicone sheets.  Each physician has their own protocol.  I'm 8 weeks out and mine only want vitamin E on the scar, nothing else yet.  
My surgeon last year let me use scar cream and silicone sheets at week 3.....so you must check with your surgeon.

Here's what I've used and liked.

I used the CVS brand silicone sheets (cut them in half lengthwise) and Mederma cream on all of my breast incisions (once Dr said it was ok, which was around week 3).  It made a BIG difference....you can't feel or see my incisions they are beautiful!!
Here's a website with some silicone sheets...I've used them and they are good.
www.newmedical.com/purchases.htm

Hope it helps...
lizzybear
on 11/6/09 4:41 am - Olympia, WA
Awesome - thanks!  I'll be sure to ask my surgeon when I see him.  It's funny, I was typing this reply and my mom just called and I mentioned my question and she said that the doc told me he'd discuss a cream or sheets at my 3-week check-up.  Everything from before my surgery just seems so fuzzy in my brain.

I know I'm being super impatient on all of this - I keep forgetting I'm only at just over a week from surgery.  I just feel like I'm going crazy here at home and want to rush things and move on.  Last night when my husband got home to a full dinner and kitchen all cleaned up and other things done around the house, he threatened to send me back to my parent's house where I have nothing to do but lay around.  I feel weird being home and hanging out doing nothing.  I didn't have a problem with it after my RNY, which hurt way less, so don't know what my problem is this time.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

portmaster1000
on 11/6/09 4:28 am - Hickory, NC
I've been researching this exact same thing.  By far, the ScarAway strips have the best reviews.  I'd be interested to see if anyone on here has used them.

Mark
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/6/09 4:42 am
Mark,
Where do you buy the ScarAway strips?
Thanks!!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

portmaster1000
on 11/6/09 4:59 am - Hickory, NC
These are the best price per inch.  Search Amazon for Scaraway to see the other sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Packs-ScarAway-LONG-VALUE-PACK/dp/B001X072TS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1257540998&sr=8-5

Mark
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/6/09 5:14 am
Thanks Mark!!!

lizzybear
on 11/6/09 4:46 am - Olympia, WA
Our local Rite-Aid store has ScarAway in the first aid section.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/6/09 6:18 am
Thanks Lizzybear!
I love your name!  My friend and I call each other "Sister Bear and Baby Bear"  we all have nickanames for each other!

I have a Rite-Aid about a block away,I'll check it out tomorrow!

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/09 9:24 am
 Hi, Lizzy --

This is an issue I ponder a lot.  There are studies on PubMed saying that silicone creams and strips both have similar effectiveness -- and also a big meta-study suggesting that all the other studies are too biased to be worth looking at!  

Since my son's plastic surgeon recommended Biodermis for his keloiding scar, and it's been working ... I got some of this for myself.  I have no idea whether brand matters or not.  My own surgeon recommended KeloCote -- I suspect the price for either therapy (cream or strip) was going to be about the same.

So -- as to whether or not it helps, it's hard to say.  But I haven't read anything anywhere that suggests it HURTS anything (other than the pocketbook).

BioDermis can be found online, which is my source.   The idea is to use an "occlusive dressing" which keeps the wound moist, flat, and warm.  So I have no idea whether the brand makes any difference at all.  Wish there were reliable studies on this!
Most Active