Well finally got the drains out. But......

Cindy F.
on 11/5/09 7:50 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
Finally a month after surgery got all the drains out.  I thought I would have to leave them in for life.  LOL  So nice not to have those hanging things anymore.

But once they took them out I have to wear this compression garment from hell.  It is so tight with butt cheeks hanging out.  So there is the thong thingy that presses on my tail bone.  Wow they said important to wear it.  But not very comfortable.  Were you garments this uncomfortable?

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
lizzybear
on 11/5/09 8:27 am - Olympia, WA
Wow - a month!!  OMG I bet you ARE glad to get rid of those things. 

My doc told me the best compression garments to get are the bike short/girdle type that go about mid-belly to be well above the incision and then to wear my binder over the garment.  So I got a pair of the Assets brand ones at Target.  I also got the tank top-type garment made out of the same thing, too, so I wear them both (they overlap at my lower tummy) and then have my binder over that.  It's all pretty comfy (other than being very tight - he had me buy them prior to my surgery and told me to be sure they were very snug then - which means they're way beyond snug now that I'm swollen). 

Is the thong thingy like an extra strip in a whole butt covering, or is that all there is to the butt area of the garment.  Can you ask them if you can wear something different that doesn't have that piece?  After having to put up with drains for a month, they should at least let you wear something tight but comfier in the butt area!  Or at least let you know if there is something you can do to cushion it where it's pushing on the tail bone.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

O. Kufi
on 11/5/09 8:31 am, edited 11/5/09 8:31 am
Cindy

I'm sorry your garment is so uncomfortable but at least you have a sense of humour about it.

For me, my garment was a body garment from the upper abdomen to just below my breast to above my knee so it was relatively comfortable except when I was really swollen. When I kept it on, except for time to take a shower, the swelling was kept to a minimum and was not bad. I must say that my first garment was a small and unbearable. Dr ordered me the next size up which worked well for a few weeks and then I was back in the small giving me just enough compression.

Congrats on riding yourself of the last drain.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

AbidinginHIM
on 11/5/09 8:54 am - Ontario, CA
I wore compression garments from mid June to November of 08 due to the complications and other surgeries I required to fix them.  While not comfy, - and my butt cheeks hung out, they do give a better result and allow for less problems than a non medical type garment.  Mine were from Design Veronique, but then I bought some from Make Me Heal that were Merena brand.  Both brands worked well.  I also wore compression for a long time following my thigh lift due to complications as well.  You will get used the them, and then once you don't wear them, you will feel strange underneath.
Mine didn't have a thong thingy, I just wore my own undies over the top.  I had a hard time going without some kind of undies over my garment.

I had my drains in a LONG time too for each procedure.  I'm encouraged this time that the drains from my arm lift/fland excision seem to be slowing down in a timely manner.  I think 1 or two will come out tomorrow, and then the other two next week.  I had the ones in my thighs for 6 weeks, and had continous drains in my belly last year for 87 days, and the total time for my drains last year was well over 100 days!  It helps to think of them as your friend preventing you from further issues.  I know that is hard to do!
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/09 9:55 am
 My garment was also extremely uncomfortable.  I hated having my privates bulging out of the thing, it was really disturbing.

Here's what you can wear UNDER it that makes it tolerable:  UNDERWEAR.

This really worked for me.  Hope it helps!

JazzysGirl
on 11/5/09 10:52 am - North, GA
YAY!! No more drains!! I am sure you feel Free!!!  I sure felt free after mine were removed and I only had 2 drains!! 

I still have the garment with the whole and my butt cheeks don't like it, but I really like that thing.  I think it has helped me a lot over the past 4 weeks.  My Spanks don't do nearly as much for me as the Merena.  I will wear it for a long time, but then again I don't have some sort of tail bone thing sticking into me.

You're doing great....just keep your eyes on the prize!!  You're going to look fabulous!!!

All the best-

Susan

iconsicons icons icons 

661jennifer
on 11/5/09 1:16 pm - bakersfield, CA
wow one month!!!! Are you happy with the results? thanks
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

cbhjr98
on 11/5/09 6:13 pm
Mine went from my ankles (had feet stirups) to right under my breast with shoulder straps. It was crotchless. It was very uncomfy!  But I didn't have the thong strap thing but the top of the legs rubbed my inner groin area where I had incisions and made it PAINFUL!.  The results were great! Looking back, I guess it was worth it. It was MUCH MUCH tighter than 'compression' garments from department stores though.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
M B.
on 11/5/09 7:39 pm - Warrensburg, MO
So glad for you the drains are out!  Happy day! 

I don't know about the compression garment yets - my surgery is next week though.  I'll be sure to find one without the thong thingy - I have enough tail bone issues without that!    Hope you find a good alternative!

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/09 3:09 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Cindy,
WOW I thought the drains came out a while ago.  You poor thing...you had them there for a long time.  Being drain is such a wonderful feeling!!

Yes the garments are very tight and constricting.  You should be able to breathe but that's about it...LOL  I know exactly what you mean about the cheeks poking out.  As the swelling goes down the garment will feel better (well they never feel really comfortable but it will be less constricting).

Hang in there!
TTFN
Ruth
Most Active