Still overweight TT

dhaworth
on 11/5/09 4:33 am
Have any of you had a TT while you were still overweight?

I have lost 100 lbs, but I am still overweight, but I really want a TT.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/5/09 4:40 am, edited 11/5/09 4:45 am
I'm probably one of the few here who hasn't reached goal.  I have lost just over 200lbs and still have 75 lbs to lose.  I'm extremely active.  I am a swimmer and a cyclist.  However, after losing so much weight I have a really large upper and lower stomach (not just pannus) and really bad arms.  My arms are the worst!  They hang very low and measure over 30 inches.  When I started my LapBand journey almost 2 years ago, they measured 22.  The more I lose the more they hang.  Understandable.  I am getting a TT - not for cosmetic reasons at this point, but for functionality.  If I can lose this lower and upper stomach, I can be more active.  I could run!  I am a nurse who works 12 hour night shifts and my lower back just can't handle the heaviness of my stomach.  I consulted last year and the surgeon here in Denver agreed he would be fine with doing a TT early and I'd just return for a revision as goal.  His price was very high, so I looked elsewhere.  I'm going to Mexico in 4 weeks.  I'm also having a Brachioplasty.  I understand I'll need a revision, but at least I won't be hit in the head and face with my excess arm skin while I'm swimming laps!

Oh BTW, if you do have surgery before getting to goal, you won't heal as quickly because you have so much fat still, also you're higher risk with the anesthesia and for blood clots post operatively and you will certainly need a revision when you do get to goal.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

dhaworth
on 11/5/09 4:46 am
Thank you so much for your response!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/5/09 5:05 am
You're welcome!  Good Luck with your decision!  I understand a good candidate is someone who's stomach doesn't sit above their ribcage when they are lying flat.  (does that make sense?)  Mine doesn't.  My tummy is concave and my ribs and xyphoid process stick out!  I hope my post helped!

LinR
on 11/5/09 5:51 am
Hijack

I am with the band

I've seen that you are going to Dr. S for your PS.  Does he give lovenox or another other blood thinner after PS.

Lin

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/5/09 6:10 am
it's not something I've discussed with him yet, but it's on my list.

BigCityGirl
on 11/5/09 1:01 pm - San Diego, CA

No. I waited until I had a BMI of 25 before I had my LBL.  I went on several consults and to a surgeon they all agreed that the best results are obtained on those who have normal BMIs.  And the healing is a whole lot easier.  I waited and I'm glad I did. 

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
M B.
on 11/5/09 7:54 pm - Warrensburg, MO
I am still what I consider "overweight".  At 5'8" I am at 168 that's a BMI of 25.5 just slightly into the overweight range.  I would like to be at 150.  I am almost 3 years out from my RNY and have been at this weight for 2 years.  So, I decided that I might as well get rid of the stomach.  I am hoping that perhaps the TT will spur some additional weight loss.  I know I will be able to be more active also (run, dance, bounce around, etc.) without having the massive stomach in the way. 

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Ms Shell
on 11/6/09 6:26 am - Hawthorne, CA
My goal weight is 185lbs and I choose to have my plastics at 200.  How much more weight do you intend to loose if any? 

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

caroline2622
on 11/11/09 7:50 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I have lost 123 lbs with 60 lbs to my goal.   I my gut and mon have dropped causing rashes and my skin has become quite thin in the bikini line.   Skin is spliting/bleeding.   Rather than continue with the rashes and potential infections,  I am having a LBL on 12/7. 

Not a bad idea to go for a consult now and the plastic surgeon will give you his thoughts on when you are ready.    Get a 2nd opinion.  Really helped me. 

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active