Looking for reassurance (?)

MistersMom65
on 11/5/09 3:40 am, edited 11/5/09 4:05 am - TN

Hey all.
  Its me again, the post TT (15 days out now) with another question or maybe I'm just looking to see if whats happening is common.
  I went back to Dr Tuesday before coming back to work as I had about a 1 inch section of my incision that was draining & was looking white. I saw Dr Hagans nurse & one of his partners as he was out. They both said it wasn't infected & to just put antibiotic cream on it & use some gauze and just come in for my next post op appointment on Tuesday(next week). Well it looks worse & is spreading farther down the incision now. Also there the discharge is looking redder & some of the white is looking raw & red.
  I know I'm going in the morning but I wonder if this has happened/seemed normal/caused problems/you experienced it and there was a real issue.
 Thank you all for the replies.

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/09 7:01 am
 MM --

I had a short section of my incision near my hip bone seem to "open" -- it did not, but the scab fell away, and it looked like whitish hamburger, scaring the daylights outta me.  I packed it up nicely, called the doctor, and he met me at his office at 5:30 PM on a Saturday night to resuture it.

I won't normally tell people directly what I think they should do, but my personal opinion is, you should insist on seeing the doctor ASAP.  If the office stalls at doing that -- then shame on them, and exaggerate your symptoms.  I'm a huge advocate of not lying -- but this situation is getting worse, not better, and it REALLY sounds like you need to be seen.

Spreading redness and oozing IS a sign of infection, and it might not have been the case two days ago, but it sure sounds that way NOW!!!

Is the Dr amenable to taking a look at a pic online, at least, and a phone consultation?

BigCityGirl
on 11/5/09 12:55 pm - San Diego, CA
I had a wound separation with my brachioplasty.  I used antiseptic cream which ended up being a mistake because along with killing the bad stuff it also killed the good healing stuff as well.  Finally, I just kept it covered and clean for several months until it healed.  And about nine months later, I had it revised (closed).  It's not a big deal but more of an inconvenience.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
DrL
on 11/6/09 12:55 am - Houston, TX
Small open spots are a common occurrence in these types of surgeries.  Be sure your nutrition is good and your protein supplementation is adequate.  I am a big fan of emailed pics and use this tool frequently.

Ths issue of course is if you develop an open spot, we want to prevent it from getting infected.

I agree with Big City in that the antibiotic goo impairs the healing process.  I emphasize a "clean and dry" approach, and will use xeroform when some antibacterial action is needed.

Keep your doc in the loop of course since it seems to be changing.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active