Swell Hell

MistersMom65
on 11/3/09 11:05 am - TN
I know you have words of wisdoms out here for me.
My first day back at my desk job(13 days post TT) and I am now SO swollen. Any words of wisdom as to what others have done to help this? I'm wearing my compression/girdle garment and a binder on top of that. I'm in my 6th hour at work & I'm SO swollen!!!

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 11:25 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
I just got your PM and responded to you......let me know if you have questions.
TTFN
Ruth
MistersMom65
on 11/3/09 11:29 am - TN
i'm at work and it won't let me see the message! would you post to this message?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 11:41 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
sure......I'll go copy and paste.....give me a couple mins.
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 11:41 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I have been very VERY fortunate and not had too much swelling in my tummy, very little.  BUT when I do get swollen I immediately put an icepack on my stomach.  I wrap it in a kitchen towel and stick it under my binder so it's between my binder and my compression garment.  The binder holds it in place for me.  I do this at the end of the day when I'm resting watching TV.  I'm laying down in bed now and am going to get an ice pack.  I was out all afternoon so I'm tired! 
Most of my swelling came right after surgery and it was almost all in my thighs and butt.  I wear a compression garment everyday to keep the leg swelling down.

OH - I have found that drinking at least 4 cups of green tea with some lemon squeezed in makes a big difference for me.  I don't know why but it does. 

I hope you get relief soon!!!
Try the green tea with lemon....

TTFN
Ruth
cbhjr98
on 11/3/09 5:55 pm
Ice packs were my savior. Also, I stuffed pillows under my butt and behind my back which relieved a little of the pressure. But definately ice packs worked for me!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
MistersMom65
on 11/4/09 1:39 am - TN
Thank you for your response.

DrL
on 11/3/09 11:15 pm - Houston, TX
Here is a big discussion on Swell Hell: 

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/tummy-tuck/swell-hell-wh at-normal-t57927.html

I read one post about using ice packs.  I discourage the use of those, and heating pads too because the skin below the belly button is numb and fragile after surgery. You can injure the skin using heat or cold therapy after surgery until your protective sensation returns.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Leah H.
on 11/3/09 11:56 pm - TX
The swelling progression pics are massive. In the 2-9 months pics it looks like she lost at least 10 pounds. Is that all from swelling? If we only typically wear the compression garments for 6 weeks how do we get the swelling down? What do you think of lympathic massage?

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

DrL
on 11/4/09 1:23 am - Houston, TX
That patient lost some weight but was a real "sweller."  I will try and remember to get some others up there too.

I am a huge fan of lymphatic massage and include a complimentary  massage for all my patients after surgery by one of the certified hopsital therapists up at Memorial-Hermann who comes over to my office. 

They make a huge difference esp. if patients will commit to a series of them over the first 3-4 weeks.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active