Disruption in lymphatic system caused by LBL - Dr Quiroz

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/3/09 12:21 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
New update:

The swelling in my left leg has gotten worse over the last couple of months. Rather than having noticable swelling by the end of the day, swelling is very pronounced by noon. I am having a lymphogram scheduled to determine if there is a blockage or if the system has been severed in my groin. This will tell us if further surgery is necessary to fix the damage or if it can be helped with therapy. As my doctor (and another PS I've consulted with in Canada) put it: if my surgeon had of been more careful with doing my procedure, this could have been avoided. I am very upset about this whole thing and I'm hoping I get answers soon.

When I first came on the PS boards, Dr Quiroz was all the rage. So I went to him. Now I want revisions done on Quiroz's work with Dr Sauceda and now SAUCEDA is all the rage. I really hope he deserves all the hype and that he is ACTUALLY as good as people say he is.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

katiekat412
on 11/3/09 12:42 am
Hi Laura,

That's horrible. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I will keep my fingers crossed that its just delayed healing and that you can get refief with therpay.

I just wanted to throw out there, that its so disspointing that Dr. Q was hyped up and then you had the results you did, and others have as well. I've heard that he had personal issues that affected his work, and that he actually did good work beforehand. Who knows! It's all hearsay at this point.

Anyway, I am going to Dr. Sauceda, and I have every confidence in him because of our personal exchanges, but I would be cautious to have faith in any doctor because of posts you've read. A lot, but not all of the people, including myself are pre-op- we are hyped that's for sure! And unfortunately, some people throw bad info out there intentionally. Also, everyone has a different definition of what good work is. Research whoever you choose very carefully, and for your specific surgery. 

Hugs and best of luck with your lymph issues.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/3/09 6:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Personal issues? Where did you hear that and from whom? If a surgeon has personal issues he should be taking time off, not ruining peoples bodies!
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

johns-wife
on 11/3/09 6:52 am
I heard something about that too.. one of the docs in his office had a horrible accident and he had to do the surgeries for both of them while the other guy was recovering or something and he was overworked and tired and may have been using "helpers" during surgery.
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/3/09 7:09 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I  wish I knew when this was taking place ....

What I can tell you is that I should have backed out right before the surgery was about to take place - when I was standing there being scrubbed down naked by some young woman with a bucket of iodine and a sponge.. in a surgical room that didn't appear to have a door.

I found out after the surgery that they gave me an epidural and did part of my surgery while I was awake - but I don't remember it because they gave me a ROOFIE TO FORGET.

Frick. I regret going there so much.

DrL
on 11/3/09 2:21 am - Houston, TX
Sorry for all your issues.  Lymphedema is a frustrating issue.

While removal of too much of the lymphatic tissue may have happened, I have seen (and caused) lymphedema after a perfectly done operation.  Obesity can affect the lymphatics negatively, and surgery can tip the scales to where the system will not work properly.  The lymphatics naturally travel in the skin and fat, which is removed during LBL.

Unfortunately, the person best qualified to answer your questions and be responsibly involved in your care...your surgeon... is not present and I am guessing has not been in touch with your docs at home ?  This is a problem.

Lymphedema requires a comprehensive and multidisciplinary plan of treatment.  Is there any way you can obtain care closer to home, where your doctors will assume responsibility for your case, and be available to provide you with the followup you need ?

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/3/09 6:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
My surgeon maintains that he has nothing to do with the lymphodema. He told me very specifically that he doesn't "cut down far enough to damage the lymphatic system". So is this bulls*t? Why would he tell me that there is no possible way that he is responsible, yet you even admit that it's happened to patients of yours?? This makes me very wary of him as a surgeon.

DrL
on 11/3/09 8:14 am - Houston, TX
As I said, a perfectly done operation can cause lymphedema in an individual prone to it, and obesity (even in the past) is a risk factor.

While I cannot comment on the specifics of your care, I just feel that complex cases such as yours require several approaches (one of which may be surgery, others are indicated by Jackie J's post.)

I understand your frustration at not getting answers.  My suggestion to help clear things up is simply that you insist on clear, and I mean crystal, communication between whatever doctors are caring for you.

Best wishes
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/4/09 11:23 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Quiroz called me last night and still insists that he has NOTHING to do with the swelling in my leg and that it's not possible that it's connected to the LBL.

Also, this is the info he sent me RE: Suture Material

TI.CRON (Blue suture, low reactive, good streght and 3"0") Use for very deep tissues facia to facia maintain the capacity of holding tissues use for Body Lift g/www.syneture.com/syneture/pagebuilder.aspx?topicID=326&breadcrumbs=0:66860%2C319:0 
  NYLON (black) 4 0       non absorvable, very-very low reaccion therefore low unflamation warranty low sacrig due to low inflammation http://www.demetech.us/nylon_suture_monofilament.php   MAXON 5 0   Absobable , transparent in color low reactive http://www.syneture.com/Syneture/pageBuilder.aspx?webPageID=0&topicID=95069&parentTopic=81662&breadcrumbs=0:81656,81659:0&endBreadCrumbs=MAXON™%20CV

DrL
on 11/5/09 4:02 am - Houston, TX
Can Dr. Quiroz talk with your docs ?  Mybe some increased understanding of your condition could come out of it ?

That all makes sense about the sutures now.  Ti-Cron, the blue stuff,  is for deep tissues and yet you are having it come out through the skin. So either you body is rejecting it or it was placed too close to the surface.

Unfortunately this means the blue material wil not dissolve and may require removal. Hope not !
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active