What are you doing to prep for your upcoming surgery

salinasyaya
on 11/3/09 4:05 am - Corpus Christi, TX
VSG on 07/29/08 with
Dr S. mentioned that I should start consuming more protein to better recover after the surgery.  What are your thoughts on this?  Also, is it a good idea to step up on the exercise/diet portion?  Thanks...

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 4:32 am - Haleiwa, HI
Protein does help healing, so I followed his advice and made sure I drank 2 protein shakes a day to help.  I started this 1 month preop.  I healed very quickly, so I must have done something right!  Also, exercise will also help in healing as well and will help you keep your energy levels up post op.  I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and really ready to get back in the gym!  I know it is too early, but I am so ready!

Jessica
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/3/09 9:20 am
Jessica,
Did Dr S say how long before you can return to working out?  I am thinking I need to put my membership on hold to save the money.  I was thinking maybe 8 weeks?  I swim laps at my club and work out at home. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:06 am - Haleiwa, HI
Dee,

I haven't discussed it with him yet because I knew it would be at least 6 to 8 weeks.  I plan on asking him soon though, and I will let you know what he says.  I think it will depend on what type of procedures were done.

Jess
O. Kufi
on 11/4/09 11:45 am
Dr S told me nothing heavier than 5 lbs for 6 weeks. Walking yes but strength training, hard workouts to wait for 6 weeks.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/4/09 11:56 am
Thanks Antonette!  I figured about 6 to 8 weeks.  I am doing strength training now that I've upped my protein.  I think with upping my protein and strength training my body will be in better condition.  I've also on a challenge to ride my bike 500 miles before surgery.  I've done 200 in the last 3  weeks.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

M B.
on 11/3/09 8:10 am - Warrensburg, MO
I am focusing on protein also and want to make sure that I stay well hydrated as well.  I tend not to drink as much water in the colder months so I'm trying to keep chugging away.

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

portmaster1000
on 11/3/09 10:16 am - Hickory, NC
How much more protein?  Is it based on body weight or lean mass?  As part of my normal diet, I'm getting about 1 g per pound of lean mass.  Just wondering how much extra is advised.

thanx
Mark
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/09 10:30 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
It is a fact that protein helps improve healing. I start packing in the protein 3 weeks prior and 4-6 weeks post op.  I normally have 80-100 grams of protein so I up my intake to about 120-150 pre op/post op.  It's easy to do by drinking Whey Protein Powder (each scoop with 5-6 oz water is about 25 grams of pure protein).
Definitely working out and being in good shape pre-op is important.  Prior to my tummy tuck I worked harder on strengthening my legs because I knew I'd need them to lift myself up out of the chair without using stomach muscles.  It worked, I was able to get up by myself just using leg strength.

Best wishes on your journey...
portmaster1000
on 11/4/09 4:10 am - Hickory, NC
Are you shifting calories away from fat and/or carbs as you take in more protein?  Or is the extra protein on top of your normal calorie intake?

thanx
Mark
Most Active