Can we use Flex Spending Account for Plastics?

susie64
on 10/28/09 9:28 am

Is it possible to put money aside for plastics into my Flex Spending?  I know I could use it if it were for out of pocket expenses not covered my my insurance if I get covered for a breast reduction/lift.  But one of the Dr's I consulted said my insurance company has been denying coverage for tummy tucks or pani.  If I got a TT done (and it was denied by insurance), would it be possible to claim some of those expenses under my Flex Spending?

Highest Wt 278/Surg Wt 246/Current Wt 148.6/Goal Wt 145 (initial goal)   
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 10:04 am
 yes
katiekat412
on 10/28/09 10:12 am
I wasn't allowed b/c it was "elective". If it wasn't (i,e the panni), it was covered by insurace, so there was no beneficial way for me to use the account. I called and talked to a couple different people and got the same story. Think it depends on your co.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 10:39 am
That's correct -- if it's entirely cosmetic, it's not allowed.  If it's cosmetic but also reconstructive, it maybe covered.  She should check first.  It depends on the procedure.

doreenh
on 10/28/09 7:39 pm - Meredith, NH
I'm not able to use mine for any type of plastics.

DrL
on 10/30/09 11:21 am - Houston, TX
Depends on the plan, as indicated above. 

Same thing with tax deductions...say your docs wrote all kinds of letters but you got  denied by INS. You could still claim it as medically necessary to the IRS, assuming you have the documentation. 

Check with your CPS...not all feel this is a protected enough deduction. 
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active