Getting ready to have LBL - need some help from people who had it

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/09 1:12 am
Jana,
Thanks.  I do not have that much skin to be removed, but still.  It is good to knows the worst - and be prepared.  Thanks for sharing.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Loris
on 10/26/09 1:19 pm - Midlothian, VA
Tell your surgeon about your nausea problem.  Mine prescribed a pill that I took the morning of my PS that prevented it for more than 24 hours.  Tell the anes. too.  You can rent recliners and lift recliners from rent a center or medical supply rental places.

Be sure and take a stool softener with each pain pill, they are very constipating.  You still may need to use a glycerine suppository or two.

I slept in a recliner for a couple of weeks, easing back into my bed with naps.  For my second surgery I practiced sleeping on my back with pillows under my knees before hand to get used to it a bit.  It really helped.

Good luck, Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/09 1:12 am
Thanks Loris.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 2:54 pm
Regarding calories -- DO NOT .... do not do not do NOTTTttttt . . . . go short on calories before or after surgery!!!  My doctor told me that I would need about 2,400 KCal to heal after such a major procedure, and it was quite a while before I could get that in.  Go ahead and focus on fat and protein ..... however do not shortchange yourself.  Diet later.

As for recovery .... I'm about 12 weeks post-op and just now starting to feel "normal" because i WAS UNDERNOURISHED.  mOST FEEL MUCH BETTER, MUCH SOONER.  tHE MORE YOU REST, IRONMICALLY, THE SOONER YOU'LL FEEL GOOD.

cleo66
on 10/26/09 9:48 pm - VA
I had LBL/BL/BA last Nov.  I'm single too so stayed in hospital 2 days because I didn't want my friend taking off work to care for me, plus I knew I would be out of it (I take a looonng time to metabolize anaethesia).  I slept a LOT in the hospital. Once I came home, I was really fine on my own.  Pain was manageable and I had arranged things at home to avoid bending, stretching, etc.  I was able to stop pain med in advance of first dr visit so I could drive myself. I slept in bed immediately, on my back for several weeks propped up with plenty of pillows around and under me.  I pretty much stuck to protein drinks for several days because I had no appetite.

Since your surgery is so close, I wouldn't worry about losing more weight at this point. Pre-loading on carbs: don't think that's possible for much time pre-op because carbs are used first by the body, nor is it needed. Protein is what you need post-op for healing.  Find something you can stand with highest protein count per unit consumed.  If you like sweet, those protein shots are protein dense. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/09 1:16 am
Thanks. I am good on getting my proteins. Some days - I am scared that I get too many.  But there is still limit what I can eat.
carbs - can only have limited qty per meal or my BS would drop.  Some days - I just hate carbs (they make me tired) so I have to make myself eat them... fat and proteins - now you are singing my song... thanks.

L N.
on 10/27/09 2:40 pm - , CA
Well, I think that everyone is different in regards to how quick they heal and how fast they are doing things for themselves. I am 53 and have always recovered quickly from any surgeries in the past. I didn't recover so fast with the LBL that I had on 08-20-09....I stayed in an aftercare facility from Thurs ( day of surgery) to Sunday. Husband picked me up Sunday and for the next 10 days I did very little....I slept in a lift recliner for two full weeks, but I have a high bed that is also firm and it was easier and more comfortable to sleep in the recliner. I did not coo****il week three, although I was able after 5 -7 days or so to get myself what I needed. Also, even if you can do things early, you should be careful as to not do too much and cause stress to your suture line.. My plastic surgeon said many of his patients start feeling better day 10-14 and mess his work up by beginning to do things too early.  I think younger people heal quicker and "bounce back" easier. So don't count on being up and running like others. It could happen but it also might not...I'd be prepared and have someone lined up just in case. Please get a recliner ( you can rent at rent a center for $100.00 for a month) and get a toilet seat riser. If you won't have someone there after 3 or 4 days, make sure all your meals are made ahead of time...I just slept and relaxed for several days. As my primary care doctor warned me " whatever you think recovery will be, it will be much harder". I scoffed at him, at thought he was  just so conservative and unhappy that I was  having  ps, but his words rang true....I am not trying to be negative, but being prepared is your best plan and so I wanted to let you know what my experience was. Still extremely happy I had my ps.........good luck

LN

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/09 1:26 am
Thanks a lot. 
I already had my breast lift and reduction - and it was worst than I thought is should have been (and I do need a small revision)... lol.  So this time - I am trying to get ready - asking questions - being prepared for the worst - but hoping for the best...
I can practically live on protein shakes and I have no problem cooking ahead and just warming up the food.   Also my friends are great cooks - and I can count on them - to bring some food - if I need it.  i think the worst for me will be to have to depend on someones help.  I am so independent, and I like to "hide" when i do not feel good.  At least now I know (roughly)  that I may probably need help on and off for at least a week.... ouch...
All the advise i got so far are great.   Thanks for sharing.

Most Active