Getting ready to have LBL - need some help from people who had it

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/09 5:02 am

My surgery is outpatient – morning surgery – evening I will be at home.

Could you help me with some of questions I have:

Normally I am on a high protein - low carb diet.  Carbs are a trigger for me and I also have reactive hypoglycemia.  Normally – if I start eating more carbs – my body restocks on glycogen and water and I can gain 3-6 lbs in a matter of 3 - 5 days (still on relatively low calories).  I am planning to have the LBL on Dec 15th. I usually get nausea with pain pills and after anesthesia – so eating post op – especially for a few days – may be difficult.  I am now consuming app 1600-1800 cal, with 150 gr of proteins.

In your opinion:

1.    What do you think – should I make sure I am at my lowest weight so the surgeon can remove as much skin as possible   Or should I load on some carbs for a few days before surgery – so while I am recovering my body can use that?

2.    After LBL – how long did you have to rely on others to help you with “normal" daily routine: bathing, getting up and down, getting food – drinks? (I am a single person – and I would like to know how long did take you to become “independent" of others help?)  -

3.    Was the recovery very painful?  

4.    Were you able to sleep in a bed or did you have to use a recliner?

Thanks for your help.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 5:33 am, edited 10/26/09 5:33 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi.....
From my experience.... the pain was not too bad as long as I kept up with the pain killers.  I took them as prescribed (every 3-4 hrs) for the first 2 days and then started to wean off them slowly. I had morning surgery........ It was the really the first afternoon/evening and the next day that were the hardest for me.  I slept in a recliner the first 3 nights and then got into my bed with lots of pillows holding me up.
I needed help with my first 3 showers and then was fine on my own.  Slow! But fine.
You cannot bend so make sure you have everything you'll need within arms reach.  PLUS it was hard to stretch/reach too far so the shampoo way up on the top shelf needed to be moved down for me.

I need help putting the cream on the incision the first few weeks because I couldn't bend or see many of the incisions.

On day 6 I was up in the morning cooking breakfast and have done all the cooking and household chores since then.  I moved slowly and cautiously but I was able to do it.  Of course I took plenty of rest breaks to nap and elevate my legs.

OH - Loading up on protein pre and post surgery seems to be the best thing you can do to help yourself with recovery.  You are already getting in more than most people so I think you'll be ok.  If carbs trigger you I personally would not start packing them in.  Follow your normal eating habits and definitely follow your surgeons orders.

So far as the first few days post op....I too get nauseous after anesthesia and didn't want to eat so I had protein powder and shakes ready for me to drink and relied on them.

Hope that helps!!!
Ruth
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/09 5:39 am
Absolutely - it helps.  

I do not expect be able to eat much first week post op - but I can take protein drinks... Isopure are not my first choice - but are OK.

Thanks for making me realize about the bending and reaching.  I have to change that in my shower,  and a kitchen - doable.

Thanks a lot.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 7:18 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
FYI - I have a lot of my experiences pre and post surgery on my blog (on my OH profile)....feel free to read what you want.....
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/09 7:31 am

I did not find anything on your blog...- OH profile... was it deleted?  I found your profile - and pictures - but there was no blog...?

Monica P.
on 10/26/09 6:21 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

Moosie covered a lot of what I would answer.

I'm single too and went to stay with a friend the first week post-op. I'm glad I did because I need a lot of help the first few days. Everything from turning over to bending over needed help. As the days went by though I quickly got used to it though and got my mobilty back pretty quickly.

You will also need friends to drive you to the doc if you are still taking pain meds.

I would recommend stocking up on the protein too, it will help you heal quickly. I lost my appetite for about three weeks post op. It will come back.

I slept in bed propped up with pillows under my knees and behind my back to prop me up, Similar to a recliner position. When I got home I sat comfortably in a recliner but couldn't get a restful sleep in it. You might like the recliner better than me.

When you go in for surgery talk to the anestesiologist about the potential nasuea. If they know its going to be a problem they can be proactive about medicating you properly before you ever wake up. With my RNY I had horrible nausea, this last time it was awesome, no nausea...my only complaint was the morphine making me itch everywhere.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/09 6:29 am
Thanks Monica.
nausea is a real issue for me.  Anytime I have any sedative anesthesia - I get really nauseous.  last time I had a surgery - 1.5 month ago - even the nurses knew about it and when i woke up - I only got 2 small ice cubes in the recovery area "She is a hurler" they said.     I usually get some meds - but they only help a little.  O well... I got used to dealing with that.  (not really).

I think I will ask a friend to stay with me for a few days - not sure if I should buy a recliner or not (I do not have one - but I think I will get one...lol  - cheap)

ShirleyG
on 10/27/09 8:34 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
THere is a pill they can give you ,,,,ONE PILL and it costs $35.00 to take the am of surgery.  THey give it it cancer chemp patients I think to prevent nausea.    IT WORKS 
I have it each time i had surgery .
They give it to factlift patients especailly but i have it each time .It is called Amend if i remember right.
Ask your PS for the script for it ,  My cost on my insurance plan was $35.00 for the pill
Shirley
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/09 1:07 am
Thanks. I took it one time - before RNY - but the next morning - probably due to more pain medication including morphine - I had bad nausea.  But - in this case - it may be a great idea.... Thanks for reminding me.
FYI: I still get nausea almost every morning.... or if I eat too quickly, or If I do not eat, or - just because.   The pain meds or sedative make it so much worse though... 

ColoradoHusker
on 10/26/09 9:13 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Alright....call me goofy, but my experience has been waaaay different.  HOWEVER - I'm 44 years old, before plastic surgery, I had lost 225 lbs., PS removed over another 24 lbs and I've lost another 5.  My surgery weight was 440 and last time I knew (last week) I weighed 190. When I had RNY in 12/07, I was back to work in week and a half and I have also had both knees (two separate surgeries) COMPLETELY replaced since then and bounced back in 1 1/2 weeks and the other I was back to work in one week.  So I don't know if this plays into my experience or what, but here it goes....

I had LBL, full inner thigh lift and an butt auto-augmentation done three weeks ago.  I had it in my surgeon's surgerical suite.  I went to an aftercare facility afterwards.  I have about FOUR recollections from the first week of surgery.  I was out of it.  Oh, people tell me I was talking and making sense - I just have no memory.  I was supposed to come home from aftercare on Friday (surgery was on Tuesday); my husband was there for a follow-up surgeon appointment and he assessed what he would need to be doing with me at home (we have a 7 year old dd, too) and how I was acting and he opted that I stay in aftercare another night.  (I have no memory of it)  On Saturday, the weather was bad and dh couldn't make the trip to get me, so another night.  I came home on Sunday  - but I have NO memory of it.

We were back at the surgeon's office on Monday (reg. appt.) and my sister met us there to come home with us.  My dh knew he was in over his head - trying to work full-time, taking care of dd, etc.  My sister stayed two weeks and left this past Friday.  We made it through the weekend and today I went to work for four hours.  Our schedule looks like this:  Dh wakes me up before 6:30, he makes a protein shake and dd and I get ready to get out the door; I take dd to school and to the office by 8:15, I wor****il 12-ish and go home and get my lunch.  Dh picks up dd at school around 3:30.  We do homework,. karate/dance lessons, etc. -  around 8:00 p.m. (when dd is getting into bed), I take a shower with a bath chair.  Afterwards, dh helps me repack and inspect wound issues and helps me get back into my compression garmet.  Then I'm off to bed and we start all over in the morning.

In time I know I will wholeheartedly say I would do this all over again.  Right now?  Yes..........but THANK GOD I don't have, too - LOL.  Pain hasn't been a big issue.  I'm using Tylenol.  I have slept in our bed two nights - it's just easier right now to be in the recliner.  The wound issues are gross to me, but everybody tells me they're looking great.  Will I go back to have boobs and arms done?  We'll see......

Just be prepared for anything.  I havent heard a story like mine and don't get me wrong, it's not bad...it's just different.  I haven't had any complications or anything, it's just been different for me.

Best of luck!
Jana
Most Active