Still not healed up!!!

Monica P.
on 10/26/09 4:52 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

It's been something like 7 or 8 weeks since my lower-body lift. I began having little open sores on my hip at week three, where internal stitches were working their way to the surface. First there was one, then three, and those have healed but more have srpung up in the same general area.

This is taking forever and they're beginning to really bother me! I keep them clean and bandaged but they leak fluid and puss all day.

I have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday and I have the option of him remiving them himself Has anyone done this? Does it hurt?

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 5:38 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
I had 2 small areas that I was "spitting" stitches.  The surgeon did a quick snip snip the stitch was out.  It did not hurt at all (and I'm a wuss with this stuff when I'm wide awake...I get knocked out for dental work!).  Anyhow........ I had to put neosporien on the little spots until they healed.  One took about 2 weeks to be totally gone and one that recently opened near my belly button is still a little open.  If it doesn't close by next week I might call the surgeon because I'm scheduled to see him until mid Nov.

Do you put some gauze on the area to help keep it dry?  I found it helped.

Hope you get relief on Thurs.

cbhjr98
on 10/26/09 7:25 am
My hip had the same thing (kinda like that's where he put the knots at and it kept rubbing through what would have been the new skin if it ever could grow!). The hole took 8 or 9 weeks to fully heal up completely. The bad part was the area where it was the scar ended up being like 1/2" wide right there (for about two inches). The surgeon had to do a scar revision two weeks ago (with my upper body lift) and it looks GREAT now.   It heals, just SLOW!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
liz73
on 10/26/09 11:32 am
Hi Cass,

Can you tell me about the scar revision.  How was the pain/swelling after? How long does the revision take to heal?   Is it a fairly simple procedure?  I need scar revison in 3 places that opened up but I'm  a bit nervous after having openings for so long.  I'd love to hear anything you can share.
-liz
cbhjr98
on 10/26/09 5:49 pm
It's very easy, very minimal. They just cut a sliver around the scar out and then sew it back shut using internal stitches then put a wide wound closure strip (think big piece of tape) over it until it's completely healed. No bandages or anything like that. Mine looks great.  He did my hip and the area right above my mons in front where the scar was a bit ropey.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
cleos_mom
on 10/26/09 9:27 am - phila., PA
I had the same problem & my PS just removed it snip snip didn'r hurt and was all closed up the next day
DrL
on 10/26/09 9:32 am - Houston, TX
The area over the hip bone can be an issue, and these stitches will work their way out esp. in thin individuals.  I am assuming your nutrition is good, and that's always my first concern with non-healing areas.

Otherwise, a small incision or sometimes just some forceps (a.k.a. tweezers) can be made to remove the irritating stitch.  I use numbing medicine, and it's not too painful for most patients.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active