Starting the PS Journey and thoughts on going outside the US

dwpersel
on 10/24/09 3:42 am - Fredericksburg, VA
I have had my first consultation with a PS locally and he has recommended abdominoplasty and a lower body lift. My own personal preference is to have the surgery done where I had my lap-band surgery done.

I have been following everyone's postings when it became evident no matter how much exercising I am doing, my arms and stomach and thighs look like a relief map!

To be blunt , I'm afraid to leave the US and not have the facility and staff overseen by the AMA,  language barriers, or to have problems when flying back,  post op visits and any complications that I need to be seen for. I'm also not sure if I would want to stay at a motel the night I have my surgery rather than in a hospital where I could be observed by a trained medical staff.

Anyone else apprehensive to have any PS done outside the US? Or is it just me? Any that have had PS done that could quell my fears with your experiences?

Thanks.

Diana

Bonnie M
on 10/24/09 5:36 am - Sioux Falls, SD
My 1st round of ps, I stayed in the hospital 3 days.  That was too long for me, but the surgeon was worried about me being alone after a face lift--plus 2 other major ps.  The second time I also went alone (Rio), and had thigh lift, thoractic and lbl.  I was in the hosp 2 days that time.  I had daily visits to my hotel room by my ps or lymphatic massage therapist both times.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/09 6:38 am - Haleiwa, HI
Diana,

Hi there!  I used to live in Fredericksburg from 2003 to 2004! I can understand your apprehensions. I have been back from Mexico for 1 week now, and I had a lower body lift, breast lift with augmentation, medial thigh lift, and lipo with fat grafting to my butt.  The nice part about it that Dr Sauceda made everything so smooth, and it was actually pretty easy!  He has clinic rooms, and you do not stay in a hotel right after surgery.  You stay in a really nice room with a hospital bed, leather couch, flat screen TV, large shower and bathroom, and 24 hour nursing care.  It is just like a hospital.  I have a ton of info about my Mexico journey on my blog if you would like more info.  It will have probably too much info for you!  www.livingtheskinnylife.blogspot.com .

Jessica
Bonnie M
on 10/25/09 1:45 am - Sioux Falls, SD
Your blog is great.  I want to go to Dr. S for major lipo in May.
I'll be in Waikiki at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Love it there!
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/09 5:11 am - Haleiwa, HI
Thank you!  I won't be here at Thanksgiving, but I will be for Christmas.  How many days will you be here?  We should try to meet up for lunch or something!

Jessica
dwpersel
on 10/25/09 7:01 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Jessica,

I read your blog and your journey has been amazing and you look awesome! Your insight and posting your experiences really helped me.

Thanks again!

Diana

dwpersel
on 10/25/09 6:12 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Thank you both for your replies. I'll check out your blogspot Jessica. Small world. We spent a few weeks in Oahu and then Kauai last summer and loved it.

Diana

DrL
on 10/26/09 1:11 am - Houston, TX
There is a financial benefit to going out of the country, but lets look at the things you are not paying for. It's cheaper for some basic very reasons:

No insurance coverage for possible problems (some plans cover, many do not). Could take  out a travel policy that specifically covers cosmetic surgery complications. Many US programs have Cosmetassure, which for $200 covers all the usual complications, extended stay, etc that occur within 30 days of surgery. http://www.cosmetassure.com

No Legal protection: you have none unless you have dual citizenship.

No Longterm Aftercare or Revisions: without having to travel. Many hours are spent weeks and months down the road seeing to scar care, swelling, revisons, etc. You will have to arrange this back at home on your own, and many PS docs are reluctant to take this on. Call around before you decide though. It can be an added expense.

Limited warranty coverage on breast implants: implants in Mexico have to be replaced in Mexico, and the financial assistance is $1000 - $2000 less than what you get in the states.
No way around this according to implant makers Mentor and Allergan.

Limited Aftercare: I can't help but notice patients mention the flat screen TVs, leather couches, massages, attentive nursing care, and other nice "pampering" touches. They are important, no doubt but are not the same as having available a  24hr lab, blood bank, X-ray, respiratory therapy,  a staffed ICU, and all the other personnel equipment "just in case."

Blood clots or DVT/PE:  A regimen of blood thinners like Lovenox is probably indicated because surgery plus travel are both clear risk factors. These are an added expense. Get a hematologist's or your family doc's advice on this. 

Lack of comparable regulatory agencies: you will find it nearly impossible to find a regulatory agency in Mexico that you can research, either for their doctors or their clinics. These agencies are expensive and raise hospital costs in the U.S., but exist to protect patients. 

If you take these things into account, the low pricing makes a lot more sense. 

As an alternative to travel, a good stateside residency program is worth looking in to, as you can find an experienced surgeon who operates with residents and have the long term aftercare with insurance coverage, etc.

I have included some possible solutions to these issues, so as not to seem unhelpful in this post ! 

Like anything else, knowledge is power, and this is only intended to inform individuals of facts they may not be aware of. 

I intend no criticisms toward anybody or any program.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
shscharger
on 10/26/09 5:44 am - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
OK first let me say I have seen you most some very good information on this forum and I thank you for it . But as to this certain post I think it sounds more like someone who sees himself losing patients and wants to throw out as much as possible to change peoples mind on some things.

So first you think it would be better to use a RESIDENCY program over going out of the country to an actual surgeon ?  And if we were talking about a few stitches on my finger that would be one thing but after dropping 200 pounds you think it would have been better to let some practice on ME ?? I hope you really do not think that is right?

Second you talk like going out of the country is such a bad thing. And yes I am certain there are BAD surgeons in Mexico . But if you can tell me with a straight face that there are NOT bad ones in the US as well as any other country then I will think a lot less of you .  People just have to do their research . I stayed 18 days total out of the country -- and I know a lot of people could not and would not want to do that and I do understand . But also know I saw the doctor EVERY day at least once sometimes more even at the hotel plus had a nurse come by each and every morning I was at the hotel . Plus this Hampton was within walking distance to his office if I had needed or felt like going to see him at any other time.

As far as aftercare ,I had that all lined up before I left but felt well enough in my choice of surgeons that I was pretty sure I would not need to use them .

So trust me when I say going out of the country is not for everyone and I understand that but I will give you my word on this also.
I could have traveled to your town -- had you perform only one of the two things I had done -- spent a lot more money - then had to wait another year before I could take off work again -- come back to you to have the other done and would not have had any better results, been treated any nicer , given any better care by the staff and would not now be on my way to doing something I so want to do !!   Just live life to the fullest !

Hope you are able to find enough local patients without having to start  bashing the kind of care and surgery I received in Mexico because you may be able to equal service to your patients but I really don't think you or your staff could have done any better than what I received .

Have a good day
Tony
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 6:00 am - Haleiwa, HI
Dr Lomonaco,

I understand your concern, but it is not all entirely true.  Many factors do have to be considered when going out of the country or even out of state like some patients do when they travel to have you work on them.  

No insurance coverage
for possible problems (some plans cover, many do not). Could take  out a travel policy that specifically covers cosmetic surgery complications. Many US programs have Cosmetassure, which for $200 covers all the usual complications, extended stay, etc that occur within 30 days of surgery. http://www.cosmetassure.com

My insurance will help me if I have possible problems, and it is not costing me any extra for them to provide this to me.  Since cosmetic surgeries are mostly elective, then wouldn't this be true for surgeries done in the U.S. as well?  I don't think it would matter where you went to have surgery done , ie Mexico, New York, Texas, etc.

No Longterm Aftercare or Revisions: without having to travel. Many hours are spent weeks and months down the road seeing to scar care, swelling, revisons, etc. You will have to arrange this back at home on your own, and many PS docs are reluctant to take this on. Call around before you decide though. It can be an added expense.

I have my aftercare set up, and it is not costing me any extra to get it either.  I may be an added expense for some, but when they are paying many thousands less by going to Mexico, the extra aftercare cost would probably be minimal.

Limited warranty coverage on breast implants: implants in Mexico have to be replaced in Mexico, and the financial assistance is $1000 - $2000 less than what you get in the states.
No way around this according to implant makers Mentor and Allergan.

The warranty that is being offered right now in the States is changing by the end of the year because it is a promotional warranty and should be pretty much the exact same thing as the Mexico warranty after December 31st. This is for the Mentor implants.

Limited Aftercare: I can't help but notice patients mention the flat screen TVs, leather couches, massages, attentive nursing care, and other nice "pampering" touches. They are important, no doubt but are not the same as having available a  24hr lab, blood bank, X-ray, respiratory therapy,  a staffed ICU, and all the other personnel equipment "just in case."

Honestly, do you really think that Dr Sauceda doesn't have access to a 24 hour lab, blood bank, X-ray, respiratory therapy, etc???  Yes, he does his surgery in a clinic setting, and his patients are not around "sick" people.  This might be a different country, but it is still civilized and has the same things that the American clinics and hospitals have.  After the clinic stay, Dr Sauceda also provided a nurse to help us out daily at the hotel to get us showered and dressed.  He also came to the hotel at least once or twice a day to check on me, and he also called, sent emails, and sent personal messages to me to check on me or see if I needed anything or had any questions.

Blood clots or DVT/PE:  A regimen of blood thinners like Lovenox is probably indicated because surgery plus travel are both clear risk factors. These are an added expense. Get a hematologist's or your family doc's advice on this. 

I flew for 11 1/2 hours from Mexico to Hawaii, and I only took an aspirin.  Many people travel, including your own out of state patients, and this could be a possibility for anyone traveling.  It just doesn't include patients that travel to Mexico.  It also includes patients that just travel out of state.

If you take these things into account, the low pricing makes a lot more sense. 

The cost for all of my procedures was more than 60% in savings, and that does not include the reimbursement for my flight, hotel, stay, transportation, food, etc.  I also received house calls by my Dr, a nurse to come and help me at the hotel, and also supplies to keep my incisions dressed and clean. 

As an alternative to travel, a good stateside residency program is worth looking in to, as you can find an experienced surgeon who operates with residents and have the long term aftercare with insurance coverage, etc.

A residency program is a good alternative, but that this does not always give the patient a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon actually making the incisions on their body, or years of experience from the Dr that is cutting on them.  They may have an experienced surgeon that is teaching the residence and overseeing them, but the residents are still the ones that are learning how to do the procedures by practicing on their bodies.  I am not saying that they will not get a fantastic result or get a great surgeon, but they also need to consider years of experience as well.   A residency program wouldn't work in my case anyway because I was going to have to travel no matter what.  Many people travel out of state for their surgeries, so they would need to include gas, food, time, and possibly hotel in their cost when they go with a residency program.

I just wanted to include solutions to those dilemas as well, and I agree that knowledge is power.  I did my research about going out of the country and weighed the pros and cons for each.  I cannot speak for other non U.S. Dr's, but I do know that Dr Sauceda takes every precaution just like U.S. Dr's do.  

I know that you didn't mean any criticisms towards any certain program, but you did point out the pampering touches of Dr Sauceda.  That just takes me aback a little to think another Dr. would try to discredit another one.  

I also want other people to be informed about traveling abroad because it may not be the right decision for their situation.  I want them to know exactly what to expect and help them in any way.  I am by no means an expert on plastic surgery like you are, but I do know that I have gone to Mexico, had my surgeries, and had an amazing Dr give me a fabulous result and terrific experience.  I traveled only 1 1/2 hours more by plane to Monterrey than I would have had to travel to Houston. 

Sincerely,

Jessica Light

Most Active