Never too soon to start saving

Alli14ppfk
on 10/24/09 8:05 am - Buffalo, NY
I know I am a good year from getting PS but it's never too soon to start saving, lol! I just had a few questions. Did you Dr require you to have a certain BMI or be a certain weight? I've already reached my Dr's goal and am not far from a "normal" BMI. I know I definately will have a TT done but I still feel that even if I have another 30# I'm still going to have a lot of fat on my stomach, or maybe it's just skin? I don't know. How many pants sizes have you gone down since a TT? It's hard because I am tall and I know I don't have the frame to be a size 6. I currently wear a size 14 or 16 (mainly 16). I'm 5'9" and 193. Any advice for someone just starting to research it?
Open RNY Gastric Bypass February 16, 2009
Fleur di lis abdominoplasty June 5, 2010
Mastoplexy Scheduled for February 28, 2011

SW 296/Surgeon's Goal 196/My Goal 175    

FrancineG
on 10/24/09 9:19 am - Wilmington, CA
No advise. I have the same questions myself. I'm one of the lucky ones that my insurance paid for the WLS. I'm praying due to the fact that I had issues with my tummy pre op (rashes, pain in one part where it hangs, discomfort) that they will also pay for the TT. I was going to research Mexico just in case they deny me. I've heard lots of good things about the doctors over there. Some even offer package deals (airfare, hotel stay, hospital). I've got a long way to go. I don't believe they require a certain BMI, just that you lose all the weight that you intend to lose. They will sometimes fudge it a bit because the surgery itself will cause you to lose more weight. (Taking off the excess skin, sometimes a little liposuction)

Mendee M.
on 10/24/09 10:45 am - Mulvane, KS
The plastic surgeons I have talked to required a stable weight for 6 months. They did not require a certain BMI or weight. I had issues with rashes and such pre WLS, however I have not had them after WLS, so no hope of getting anything covered. I think I knew I was ready because I had maintained my weight within 5-7 pounds, but also experienced my "bounce back weight". Just about the time I was thinking I was getting too thin, I gained back 5 pounds and have maintained that weight for a while.

I will be going to Mexico for my PS. It is about 40% cheaper than what I would pay here, and I am in the mid west where PS is cheaper anyway. However, that was not my deciding factor, but only a contribution to the decision. I feel very secure in the fact that I will be getting excellent care there. So far, Dr, Sauceda has been MUCH more responsive and thorough than the 3 PS I met locally. He has answered all my emails within 24 hours, and scolded me when I said I was being a pain.  He has a wonderful track record with his previous patients. Besides that, what a great opportunity to visit beautiful Monterrey Mexico!!
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
avadoodle
on 10/24/09 10:59 am - MD
Hi. I did not have to be a certain weight or BMI but I did have other medical notes about yeast and also pictures of how far the skin hung down. I was close to 200 and 5'6" when I had the tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. i am now 185.  I was a size (mostly) 16 or (sometimes) 18 pants and an xxl shirt (to cover hanging skin). I went to the limited yesterday and got 4 pairs of size 14 pants. I was hoping to go down to a 12 since most of my prepregnancy clothes were a size 12 or 10 and wanted to be able to use the million pairs of pants I have stashed away. The biggest difference for me is in my shirts. I can now wear a large or xl. The way the shirts lay on me is amazing. I love being able to pick a shirt because I love it and not because it is a good shape to cover my rolls of skin. I wore a dress out to an anniversary dinner and looked so super cute with my new & lifted boobs and no excess skin hanging off my body. Good luck with your journey. I think it should be a part of the whole process when insurance approves the gastric bypass. Don't you wish I got to make the rules? Best wishes and let us know how it turns out.
bajahahamama
on 10/24/09 2:28 pm - CA

Did your insurance pay for the TT???  I've had some rashes, but not really bad, not sure if I will qualify.... I've got the hanging skin.  My doc wanted me to wait 1-2 years after reaching goal.

COngrats.  You might get into a 12 when all the swelling goes down.

Most Active