"adjustable" saline implants?

juliemomto2
on 10/22/09 4:17 am
Hi, I posted a while back, had an internal hernia at that time, now repaired successfully and on the road to plastics.  I need a BL and BA and the surgeon I had a consult with had a few options for me, one of which is doing the BL and BA at the same time (my desire as I have limited time and funds to go through two stages and a life would leave me tiny until I could go back for implants which I might never get to do).

He said that I could choose a conservative implant size OR that there is the option of an adjustable saline implant that could be placed at the time of the lift and then filled to the desired size through a temporary port, which would be removed once the results were where I wanted them.

Anyone have info/experience? 

Dr. L - you there?  LOL!  Would love your input!

Thanks in advance!!

Julie

DrL
on 10/23/09 11:15 am - Houston, TX
Hi Julie.  The adjustable implants had their heyday (Hayday ? ) back in the early to mid 90s.  I used them for awhile, and found out a few things:

1. You can't adjust them all that much....say a C to a full C, or maybe a small D.  They get too hard when full, and can get wrinkly when underfilled. 

2. Compared to gel implants, they are not soft but may be OK if you have a little tissue of your own.

3. They are very difficult to adjust if the patient forms a tight scar capsule after a few months.

After I popped one (my bad) doing a "fillup" I decided that the  "last one was my last one" and I haven't really looked back.

Oh, and removing that port required a bit lower incision at the bottom of the breast than I like to use.  Just my 0.02...they could be an option in a doc who ahd good karma with them.

Wonder if he was planning in using the dual-lumen saline-gel types?  Not even sure they are made anymore though....
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
juliemomto2
on 10/26/09 4:02 am
Thanks so much for the response - I sure wish I could just come to you....but Houston is a bit of a hike from Indiana!

Most Active