silicone for scars/ question

Wendy_Canada
on 10/21/09 8:47 am - Canada
I just purchased the silicone sheet for my scars on my arms.  I have read the instructions but still have a question or two so i thought i'd ask those of you who have tried this already. It says its good for 28 days and use bandaid for sticking it if needed.

The instructions say you are to wash this 2 times a day.  Also start with it on for 4 hours and increase the time .  Question is do you wear this stuff while your in the shower?  When you take it off do you put the backing on and then peal it off and reuse?  Any other instructions are appreciated

Thanks

Wendy

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/09 8:55 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Wendy,
From my experience I found that by the time they would not stick I could get them to stay on by using surgical tape but they didn't seem to do as good a job unless it was under some sort of garment.  Like on my arms I wore them under a compression garment...without the garment they just hung loose over the incision.

I never washed them twice a day.....I did it once every other day.
I put them on and kept them on basically all day until I went to bed.
I did not wear them in the shower.
I put them on a piece of wax paper (ordinary kitchen wax paper).

Hope that helps.....
Let me know if you have more questions.
Ruth

Wendy_Canada
on 10/21/09 7:32 pm - Canada
Hi Ruth
Thank you for getting back to me.  I cut them into appropriate sizes and applied them last night.  It surprised me  because my way of thinking was these have sticky backs so the medication must be the sticky side so once i remove it what happens to keep the medication on the side.  Then you realize its not medication and its the silicone itself that does the work. 

Did you notice a big difference in the scar?  I am using these on my arms and if i feel it works i will buy another one for my tummy scar from my anchor cut.  Again thanks for the reply I apprecitate your time.

Wendy

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/09 10:45 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Wendy,
Yes I think they did a GREAT job for me, expecially on my breasts.
I did have some trouble with them on my arms....they wouldn't stay on unless I wore the compression garment.  As long as I had the garment on it was fine.

I am a BIG believe in using them.  I'm not using them on my tummy tuck incision yet but as soon as the surgeon says I can, I will.

Best wishes on your recovery
Ruth
O. Kufi
on 10/21/09 9:19 am
Hi Wendy

Same here. I remove them before I shower. I also use sensitive skin cloth surgical tape to keep them on. The sheets have a little stickiness but it wont keep the sheets on. Once I started using the sheets though I went straight for all day. I imagine they suggest you start with a short period of time and then gradually increase the time in the event a person has a reaction to the silicone sheets. I dont put the backing back on I lay them on a clean surface until I am ready for them.

Antonette

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Wendy_Canada
on 10/21/09 7:40 pm - Canada
Hi Antonette

Thank you for writing.  I also went for the whole night in leaving them on.  Did you wear them 12 hours on 12 hours off? 

One thing i liked right away is that my scar on my arms was irritated somewhat from contact with cloths and this puts that coating on between and i don't have the irritation anymore.  That i noticed immediately.  ( my surgery is only 1 month old) .  They still had a little pinkness to them but not infected and i see that is gone already.  I hope these work well altho pricey well worth it if they work to reduce the scar in obvious places.  If they work i want to try it on my tt anchor cut from below my breasts to my pubic bone.  This package says you see results even in scars 20 years old but say newer scars respond best obviously.

Can i ask you what i asked Ruth...............What in your opinion was the results on your scar from using this silicone sheet?  Take care of yourself and thank you for being so helpful.

Wendy

O. Kufi
on 10/22/09 9:44 am
Hi Wendy

For me it is a noticeable difference. I have been using them on my arms and the difference between the arm scars and say my LBL scars it like night and day. My arm scars are lighter and not heavily raised like the other scars. They are fading nicely if I do say so myself.

They can be expensive but I wanted the arm scars done if nothing else.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Soaplady
on 10/21/09 10:32 am - Guilford, NY
So, I understand these things are expensive...where is the cheapest place to get them? I will have scars all over place and will need alot!! Any ideas.

Also, I understand the active ingredient is dimethicone, which I can get in liquid form from one of my wholesalers...((used to make soap and toiletrie). Do you suppose I could just use the liquid with like, saran wrap or something??

Call me cheap...this trip is getting more exensive every day. AND I will be out of work for 6 weeks and I am self employed. No work, NO pay. I am getting nervous!!

Teri
DS Facts
on 10/21/09 10:41 pm
Hey Wendy,

Looks like you got some but this is the info I can for purchasing in Canada.

http://www.keirsurgical.com/products_compression_garments.html#5

you can find the item under compression garments and its called Epi-Derm silicone strips by biodermis

Sheeting:

·        Worn for 24 hours at a time

·        Wash every 12 hours

·        Can last up to 2 weeks

·        Wear for 8 to 12 weeks or until scar visibly diminishes

·        Not to be worn in the shower/water

·        Do not put lotions or perfumes on or near sheeting

Wendy_Canada
on 10/22/09 4:02 am - Canada
Hi Bev THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I did find some at a local pharmacy but i do want to look into the ones you are telling me about and compare prices. 

It sounds like anyone that has used them likes the results.  I am thinking if these work well i will get some more for my tt anchor cut.  The lower part you don't care but its from the pubic area up to just under the breast area that you want it to disappear as much as possible. 

I appreciate the trouble you went to.  Wishes you well.

Wendy

Most Active