Surgery's done out of the country (Mexico/Dr. S)

Sahrramon
on 10/21/09 11:45 pm - Atlanta, GA
 My family is very weary about me going to Mexico (anywhere out of the country).  I didn't really think about going, until I saw some of the results. 

The number one questions is what if something goes wrong.  Where's the nearest hospital in proximity to Dr S office?  If  complication occurs once you get home, what will you do?  Will it be covered by insurance. 

How long do I need to be in Mexico?   What about follow up appts (Drains removal/suctures).

I'm sure I will have more questions.   I'm have some Plastic Surgery consults scheduled locally, but I want to keep this option opened. 

Norma

TammyGirl1
on 10/22/09 2:25 am - Oakley, CA
Hey there! My husband is extremely nervous. He isn't as nervous as he would have been if I didn't have my Sleeve done in Mexico. Only thing is this time I am going alone and he traveled with me last time. The hospital is 100 yards away I am told so it is just down the street. I called my Kaiser rep and asked if complications are covered and was told that typical followups are not covered but I would not be denied medical care if I had complications. Depending on what you have done 12 days is the typical stay and drains/stitches would come out before unless you have someone will to remove once you get back or Dr doesnt think they should be removed before you leave.

I will PM you with some of the info I have gathered (ie Hospital name/number, US Embassy info and such...

Tammy

TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

dawnspaints
on 10/22/09 4:06 am - Carlyle, IL
Would you mind sending me the info also. You said you had your sleeve done there are you happy with it? I had RYN done 18 months ago and I am wondering if i should have had the sleeve done. Can you tell me more about your experience and how it went for you. Wonder if anyone had one done and now have a revision on another kind. Thanks
Lisa0719
on 10/22/09 3:41 am - PA
Tammy, I just PM'd you for the info too.  Thanks.

Lisa Mc

104 lbs lost now Maintenance BABY!!!! 

johns-wife
on 10/23/09 1:29 am
There are several hospitals in and around Monterrey. Monterrey is the heart of business not tourism in Mexico. The San Jose hospital is where I went for my Fobi. It is, by far, the most luxurious hospital you will ever stay in. Here is some general info about the San Jose, but it cant begin to describe the beautiful rooms with Mahogony desks and travertine tiles with hughe walk in showers and porcelin sculptures and NICE nurses. I'd go there always if given the chance for any porcedure.

Here is a link

http://www.hsj.com.mx/

Here is some more info

Affiliated with the Institute of Technology of Monterrey, this private, academic hospital is one of the most prestigious in all of Latin America. For bariatric surgery in Mexico, including lap band surgery and gastric bypass surgery, the San José Hospital offers the most up-to-date facilities available in the world today. San José Hospital complies and exceeds the strictest hygiene and safety standards currently employed in the United States:

1 - The operating rooms are designed to protect all aspects of our patients and their personnel safety.

2 - The air-conditioning supply is equipped with EPA filters as well as ultraviolet exposure, which guarantees the air will be free of particles. In addition the OR is equipped with positive pressure ventilation from top to bottom and from center to the periphery of each OR. This equipment keeps floating particles away from the sterile area and the air is completely changed every 2 minutes.

Why is this important?

You want your surgery to be performed under the safest and cleanest atmosphere as possible. This is specially critical in implant surgery (lap-band). Your band will accompany you for the rest of your life and any contamination could later cause a higher rate of infection and erosion.

3 - Electrical energy supply has its own "airport like" plant that guarantees continuous electrical supply in case of a black out.

Why is this important?

Although power failure is not common in Monterrey, we are the only Hospital in all of Mexico with an emergency plant that kicks in immediately. This is unique technology, compared to other hospitals, who's plants require 5 to 10 seconds to kick in. These 10 seconds could be critical during any mayor operation.

4 - Supply gases to the operating room are regulated by a computerized control center that automatically detects pressure variations in case of a leak and sounds an alarm.

Why is this important?

The gases supplied during your surgery include oxygen and anesthesia and it is vital that these are administered with precision.

5 - All drinking water in the San José Hospital is purified and the water supply to the OR is sterilized.

Why is this important?

Our patients can rest assure that they will not be getting sick from the water they consume.

6 - There are alarms that detect and prevent power surges and short circuits.

Why is this important?

Electrocautery is used in every laparoscopic surgery. Skin burns at pressure points are known as a surgical complication, which is considered an "acceptable" risk, specially in small clinics. There have been NO cautery burns at San José Hospital.

7 - All the wall surfaces in the OR are made of Corian© Dupont©.

Why is this important?

Corian© is Nonporous and does not allows the growth of mold, mildew or bacteria, thus reducing the over all bio-burden in a facility.

For more information on Corian©:

www.dupont.com

8 - Sterilization is achieved by autoclave and Sterrad equipment. San José Hospital has the strictest protocol for hygiene and infection control after every procedure, including non reusable equipment.

Why is this important?

Reusing disposable equipment is not uncommon in Mexico. This could lead to port infections and erosions down the line. Our equipment is disposed of after being used.

9 - San José Hospital is a third level hospital equipped with a complete ICU (intensive Care Unit), where they perform liver, kidney & heart transplants and heart surgery every day.

Why is this important?

Although we agree that low risk patients can be operated in ambulatory (outpatient) facilities. Surgery on patients with higher BMI's and important health conditions should be carried out at a hospital equipped to manage any possible complication.

* Monterrey has been the site of two Summits of the Americas, the first under George Bush Senior and two years ago with George W. Bush. During both their visits to Monterrey, the San José Hospital was chosen by the White House to be the Hospital of choice in case of a medical emergency by the President and his staff. No other hospital met the strict criteria.

Further more the U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey has selected the San José Hospital for any medical assistance required by their staff.

Our institution has academic and medical exchange programs with such prestigious institutions as Cleveland Clinic, John Hopkins, Methodist Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine.

Anyway, here is a link.
Most Active