Anyone have swelling in LEG post-op?

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 10/14/09 7:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I'm almost a year post-op my LBL and I get very bad swelling in my left leg only (since PS). The doctors here immediately blame it on my plastic surgeon saying he likely damaged my lymphatic system in my leg/groin. Anyone else have this issue?
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

mwy
on 10/14/09 7:39 am
It's quite common after a thigh lift but I've never heard of it after an LBL.  With the new way of doing thigh lifts it's getting better because they don't go deep enough to touch the lymph system.  I suppose it would be possible if the surgeon went too deep when in the groin area, anything is possible.  Are you getting therapy for Lymph Edema? 

Mary 
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 10/14/09 8:13 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I'm not getting therapy for anything since the doctors are quick to blame it on the PS. Anything related to PS, health care doesn't want to touch. I've never had issues with swelling before my LBL. :(
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

mwy
on 10/14/09 9:24 am
Yikes, sounds like your surgeon messed things up.  I did a search and this page has some good advice for self help measures.
http://www.bodymovesphysio.com.au/Page/lymphoedema-arms-legs -blockage-breakdown-mt-gravatt-brisbane 

You might also want to get in touch with a massage therapist who does lymphtic massage to help you get some relief.  I used one after my thigh lift and she did wonders for my swelling. 

Mary   
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/09 1:05 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Leg swelling is very common but I think it's a bit odd that it's only in one leg.  If I were you I'd go back to the surgeon and ask his thoughts and I think Mary's suggestion of a lymph massage is a good one.  You could also ask your PCP what he/she thinks.  Sorry I can't be of more help.
DrL
on 10/15/09 11:49 pm - Houston, TX
The lymphatic vessels that carry away fluid are located within the skin and fat, and when skin and fat are removed the vessels come with it.  The lymph nodes in the groin are also in the vicinity of the incision for an LBL and could be damaged...or not.

Thigh lift surgery seems to carry a higher risk of this problem, especially the longer scar lifts that remove tissue from groin to knee. 

Regardless of the proposed cause, one-sided leg swelling requires and explanation, and  a simple duplex doppler scan to rule out a blood clot is the first thing that comes to my mind. Otyher tests could be done too, so that proper treatment can be done. 

Making an assumption that it is one thing, when tretament for another is actually required is bad medicine.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active