Gummy Bear vs. Saline

kamehanaokala
on 10/13/09 4:48 am - HI

Hi everyone! What are your thoughts and inputs on the two types.

I heard there is a costly aftercare with the Gummy Bears to check for ruptures. Requiring a scan that insurance doesn't cover and can start around $1K every year. But they are more natural looking....

Saline-no aftercare but so obvious if you have a rupture...deflation...but rippling.

Input please!!

Thanks...you are all a great bunch of people on here.

aloha,

michelle

dctlct
on 10/13/09 6:13 am
Hi Michelle,
I am wondering the same question. I have my PS consult on December 3rd. I am anxious to hear what others think. By the way who are you going to for plastics? I am also in Hawaii.
Aloha,
Linda
kamehanaokala
on 10/13/09 6:20 am - HI

hi linda,

i live on kauai. which island are you on? i've been to consultations with Dr. Tiner(in Pasadena), Dr. Phan(he's on Kauai and Maui), Dr. Quiroz(via email i sent him pics) and Dr. Sauceda(again via email). I even flew to Oahu and did a consult with a doc there but after speaking to him in person, I found out that he doesn't do breast lifts.

keep in touch! we can do this journey together.......

dctlct
on 10/13/09 9:31 am
I live on Oahu . My first consult will be with Dr Shim Ching. I love the pictures I've seen of Dr Sauceda's work but I am afraid to travel to Mexico. Well good luck and keep me posted on where you go.
               Thanks,
                Linda
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/09 12:17 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Hi Linda,

I live on the North Shore near 3 tables, and I am in Monterrey right now!  i can tell you that there is nothing to be afraid of at all!  Many people speak English, the hotel is fantastic, and I cannot rave enough about Dr sauceda.  I have a ton of info on my blog about him, my trip, etc.  www.livingtheskinnylife.blogspot.com .  You can do a search for Dr Sauceda or Monterrey on my blog, and you will probably get more info that you will need!  LOL! 

Happy searching!

Jessica
dctlct
on 10/14/09 6:30 am
Hi Jessica,
I just wanted to say thank you for the info and for posting all your pics. Your look wonderful...If anything seeing your pics will convince me to check out Dr Sauceda. How long will you be in Mexico? well here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
Aloha,
Linda
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/09 12:25 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Aloha Michelle!  I did not find any info supporting a scan every year for the new gummy bear silicon implants.  I would like to see that info if you did.  Dr Sauceda had some in his office and even one with a hole in it.  You could push on it and gel would come out of the hole, but go right back in as soon as the pressue was taken off.  He said it can handle 600 lbs of pressure before it would rupture because I was worried about what if i was in a car accident of something.  He also had one cut in half, and it looked just like the inside of a gummy bear.  It was way softer than a gummy bear, and mine feel so real.  Also, the implants do come with a free lifetime warranty in Mexico, but you would need to get the warranty work done in Mexico as well.  That wasn't a problem for me because I know I would come back to Dr Sauceda for that. 

Jessica
DrL
on 10/14/09 3:53 am - Houston, TX

Hi.  Let me clarify a few terms on the types of implants:

Saline: these are filled with sal****er, and if they rupture the saline is harmlessly absorbed by the body.

Silicone, cohesive gel: these implants are filled with a 3rd-generation gel that is much thicker than gel used in previous implants. As such, it does not travel out of the implant as readily in case of rupture.  Silicone migration was a problem with earlier generation implants.

Silicone, form-stable:  these are the true "gummy bar" implants and are basically solid.  The gel cannot migrate in these implants, and technically they cannot rupture. They are still awaiting FDA approval and they are suitable only for a very select group of patients. Dr Bill Adams in Dallas has done 500 cases as part fo a research study using "gummy bear" implants, and the special techniques to use them were discussed at a recent meeting I attended. 

Rippling, rupture rates, and the "most natural feeling" are all highly dependant on the women's tissue (or lack of it) and her anatomy. No single implant is the best choice for everyone...proper implant choice requires a lot of careful planning and decisionmaking by both doc and patient.

Presently, an MRI study is recommended for patients with gel implants at 5 to 7 years.  These scans may not be covered by INS.  Since implants have a known rupture rate that goes up each year (the rate of rupture varies for different types of implant) you have to think about detecting rupture and having it treated, if needed.  

The main manufacturers of the latest-generation implants, which have the lowest rupture rate of all, offer up to $3500 of financial assistance in case of rupture, and free product replacement (around $1900 per implant).

Implants placed outside of the U.S and Canada are not warrantied by either of the companies:

http://www.mentorcorp.com/breastsurgery/augmentation/cs_ba_w arranty-full-old.htm

and they have compelling reasons for doing this.

Hope this helps.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
susie64
on 10/14/09 4:19 am
Thank you Dr. L for the info.   Have you heard any information as to when they will be FDA approved?

Highest Wt 278/Surg Wt 246/Current Wt 148.6/Goal Wt 145 (initial goal)   
MirandaK
on 10/14/09 5:17 am - Richmond, TX
I let Dr LoMonaco know about your questions and the answer we have is

"any day now" from the reps.  Of course this is what we have been hearing for the last 3 months.
Most Active