First appt, lots of questions

azreggie
on 10/12/09 2:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
I saw a plastic surgeon today for a tt consult.  He would like me to consent to have it done under sedation rather than general anestesia.  Is this ok?  

He would also like me to be off protein drinks and multi vitamins one week prior and one week after surgery.  He also wants me to take 5,000 mgs of Vitamin C and 2,000 mg of Rutin to add in the healing process. Anybody else have this experience?

I was wondering what you all did for compression garments.  They gave me a little pamphlet for a company called "Veronique"  They seem extremely costly.  Any one have a better idea or place I could pick one up at maybe half the cost these people are asking ($295.00)

They also mentioned that I wouldn't be in alot of pain so I would just need Tylenol, but if I needed something stronger, I could ask.  Does this seem right to you?

I guess I have alot of questions.  Thanks in advance for your responses.  Oh, and I'm waiting on Tricare approval before we move forward.  Again, Thanks

Reggie

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/12/09 3:43 pm
so he wanted you off the protein drinks a week before... did he say why?   I planned to drink a lot of protein drinks post op since I understand the tummy isn't always ready to eat solids.

I'm pre-op, so I can't answer any of your other questions!  Sorry!!!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

azreggie
on 10/12/09 3:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
Its just in his literature/instructions for not taking over the counter meds or vitamins a week before and a week after.  I think I'm going to ask my bariatric surgeon about this since we malabsorb protein and vitamins I don't think its a good idea to quit taking them.  I will talk to the PS about this too.

Reggie

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/12/09 7:02 pm
yeah, I wondered why -- since many up their protein intake prior to surgery.  I planned to up mine pre and post op. 

My PS will do my procedures under sedation also.  I think it's better than general since some of these procedures can take many many hours.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Anjail
on 10/13/09 12:48 am - Detroit, MI

I'm not sure about the anestesia but as fas as the protein drinks my Dr. advised the more I get in the better is would help with recovery. Yes she did advised to stop taking vitamins and other medicine prior to tt surgery.

I didn't have to buy a compression garment. They sent me home from the hospital with a wrap to keep me tight. That's the only thing I've used and I had the extended tt a month ago. If they are not going to provide you with one I definitely suggest you buy one but you can get one from Khols, Target, you can even buy a high waist gurdle.

Now about the pain. I don't know how in the hell (excuse my french) they can sit there and tell you you will not be in alot of pain. Trust me when I tell you TYLENOL is not going to work . I was sent home with 10-325 ml of Percoset and if I didn't take this on time I was in MAJOR pain. I can't speak for anyone beside myself but the lipo alone hurts like hell.  Don't know maybe it's just me but Tylenol doesn't even work from my monthly cramps (i know too much info). Depending on what typy of tt you have I would surely ask for stonger meds right from the start because once the major pain hits it sometimes takes a minute to subside.

Good luck and best wishes on your approval and surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/09 8:35 am, edited 10/13/09 8:36 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
HI!
I've had a number of procedures already and have never been told to stop taking protein.  I would ask him why he suggests this.....perhaps it has something with your specific health or blood work.  All surgeons I've met have been ok with me loading up on protein prior to surgery.

Compression Garments........every surgeon I met with (and I met with a lot of them) provided 1 compression garment with the price of surgery.  I'm sure it was built into my price (nothing is for free) but I've never been told I had to buy my own garment.  Many folks, me included, buy a second one to have something to change into but I came home from the hospital each time in a garment provided by my surgeon.
Here are some websites for you to check out.... (fyi - $295 is way high for just one garment...perhaps you are looking at the set of stage1 and stage 2 compression garments)

designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/855

marenagroup.com/store/entity/tabid/198/c-2-womens-body-suits .aspx

Pain.......I think you need more than just Tylenol for the first week to 2 weeks.  I have a high tolerance for pain and I needed to take my STRONG pain killers for 7-10 days.

So far as having the work done under twilight sedation I just heard of someone else having a lot of work done under "twilight" but I don't know anything about it.  I've always been told it is done under general anesthesia.

If this is the only consult you've been on I would strongly encourage you to go on a few more.  Everyone should have at least 3-5 consultations in my opinion.

Hope that helps some......

Best wishes on your journey.
Ruth

PS - I have a lot of tips and stuff about my experiences posted on my profile blogs if you want to read them....
Most Active