I haven't lost what they cut off me....how is this possible?

Jupiter6
on 10/12/09 9:19 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
They cut off over 9 pounds of belly skin alone, plus arms, plus breasts.

I was 154 the day of surgery and am 151 now. I eat far less than I expend. (I eat 1700 cal a day and spend 2000-2300.) So why can't I get this crap offa me? Can it still be swelling four MONTHS later?

I'm still in size 8 blouses and 12p pants!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

slowgoing
on 10/12/09 10:45 am - CA
Well, I know you're informed enough to realize that a lot of the weight that is showing is from fluid retention and tissue swelling - certainly still a possibility.  But also, I think SOME doctors exaggerate the poundage of skin/fat removed to please the patient - just a thought.
Jupiter6
on 10/12/09 11:45 am, edited 10/12/09 11:50 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My surgeon measured exactly-- 9.47 pounds in the belly alone. I wouldn't go to anyone who'd do that.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 11:12 am
Yes, you can too still be swollen four months post-op.  

I'm pretty sure you already know that ... but I'm here to offer confirmation of what you already are aware of, but find painfully aggravating.

You certainly have MY sympathies -- the good surgeon generously removed nine pounds from me, too -- plus plenty of liposuction ... and I weigh only three pounds less, right now -- more if I wait until the end of the day to weigh myself.  I'm still swelling up like a baloooooooooooonnnnnnnn .... and need occasional reassurance that it's not just me.

Frustrating, I know.  But it will get better over time.  By 6 to 12 months, most people have lost most of their swelling.  Honestly, you look absolutely amazing -- I'm so sorry that the scale isn't rewarding you with numerical verification of your remarkable success.
Jupiter6
on 10/12/09 11:47 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I knew I'd be swollen a few months-- but thought that meant two or three. I'm not really frustrated per se-- I feel well, just confused when everyone else is yelling "I lost three pants sizes!" and I lost a HUGE flap of skin and....nothin'! It's just kind of weird.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 12:09 pm
Shari -- pre-op my measurements were 37-29-41 (including that hideous flap of skin).  I don't have the nerve to post the pre-op pics, but they were shockingly hideous, and not a day passed without someone asking, kindly, when the baby was due.  Really.

Eleven weeks post-op, my measurements are 37-31-39 (unless I'm especially swollen, then the last two numbers are higher).  Not ONLY have I not changed dress sizes yet, but some of my waistbands are actually a little snug.  Yup -- still size ten.

HOWEVER . . . the shape of my body is entirely different.  Just as yours is.  I know, firsthand, that it seems to bugger the reality, when we don't look and feel ads we think we ought ... I mean, the data is there, nine pounds are nine pounds are nine pounds . . . it just takes an awfully long time for things to settle in place.

Except wow -- no one has asked me when the baby is due for the last eleven weeks!

BTW -- have I mentioned that you look fantastic?
Jupiter6
on 10/13/09 10:44 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Thanks-- I feel great. Just stumped by science, as always!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 11:32 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Shari,
I know you do a great job with working out and you eat very healthy....could it be that you are not eating enough calories.  You know how it is...if you don't eat enough the body thinks it's starving, the metabolism slows and stores cals.

Have you been doing more weight lifting since you had surgery?  Maybe it's muscle weight....??

Do you feel swollen......I know I can tell when my legs and gut are swollen after being more active.  Today we did a couple of errands and then ended up in Walmart for almost 3 hours!  I came home and my thighs are more swollen than when I left the house.  I've got them elevated now...hoping it goes down by the morning.

I know you don't want to hear this.. but some folks here have posted that they never really lose all the lbs that the surgeon cuts off.  Not sure why........kind of mind boggling to me.  I see my surgeon tomorrow, I think I'll ask him.

Hang in there...you look so good...don't let this get you down.
TTFN
Ruth
Jupiter6
on 10/12/09 11:48 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Not really down, just can't figure it out-- and wonder if it's actually swelling or not.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Renee2007
on 10/12/09 11:46 am - Central, FL
My surgeon doesn't actually weigh what he removes. It's laid out and a picture is taken of the removed skin and tissue with a ruler used as a pojnt of reference but it's not weighed. The picture is saved for documentation purposes. If you ask him what it weighed he gives you an estimate. Maybe your surgeon did the same thing, I don't know, just a thought. Don't let it mess with your head. You look amazing, your weight is perfect for you but most of all you are healthy!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Most Active