Emotional rollercoaster after surgery

Sherry J.
on 10/11/09 7:02 am - Brooklyn, NY
 Hi all - I am 12 days past having a TT and a BL.  The first 10 days, despite being uncomfortable and in pain, I was so optimistic on the outcome.  Then today, I feel iike an emotional wreck.  (is it a coincidence that it's also my first 24 hrs off of pain meds?)  Now that my bandages have been off, I see more of the results and my rational brain says, calm down, your probably still swollen and the scars will fade. But my emotional side is saying,I still look like a marshmallow so what did I do?

Is any of this emotion normal?  Did anyone still feel blubbery after their TT?  Is that swelling or permanent?
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 7:16 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Being emotional is normal.  Besides the meds, you've been through a lot!
Swelling is expected.  How much varies with each individual but you can expect to swell some.  The good news is it is temporary!  It may last 2 months, 3 months, or 6 months....again it's different for everyone.
There are lots of things you can do to reduce the swelling....

Use an ice pack.
Avoid salt...especially hidden salt in canned food and pre-packaged frozen meals.
Drink more water
Drink 3-4 cups of green tea (I do this and it works).
Elevate your legs as much as you can
Wear a compression garment (with legs that go at least to your knees).  This did the trick for me. (I've been wearing the binder on top of my compression garment)
Walk, but not too much.

I'm almost 6 weeks out from my TT and breast lift......hang in there it does get better/easier.
Best wishes!!
Ruth
Sherry J.
on 10/11/09 9:20 am - Brooklyn, NY
 Thanks Ruth.  Very helpful.Reading the experiences of others is very helpful.  I will definitely try out some of your suggestions.   I am getting a binder tomorrow from the nurse.  I don't see the Dr until Friday.  Because I don't know for sure what's swollen versus not swollen, it makes me nervous about the results. It also hasn't helped that I am still the same weight on the scale as pre op - again I'm hoping it's all water weight but it's so confusing.  You always see after pcs 3 months out but I wish they would show it sooner out to ease expectations.
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 12:07 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I have after pics posted from about 4 days - 4 weeks...if you are a "friend" you can see my after pics...maybe it will help.

Also,
Don't be discouraged about weighing the same as pre-op....that actually puts you ahead of the game...most people weigh more when they come home!
Send a friend request if you want to see my pics....
DS Facts
on 10/11/09 9:51 am
Two of my friends had a really hard time post-plastics. It was an emotional roller coaster for them without a doubt. I think it helped that  they warned me it could happen, and so I have been able to better deal with it. You're early out, just went though anesthesia and surgery in addition to pain killers. You will feel so much better about it all when the swelling subsides and you can see the REAL results.
O. Kufi
on 10/11/09 10:52 am
Ditto to Ruths post. Swelling is a real bummer but the compression garments saved me. The one from just below my breast to just above my knees. And keeping my feet elevated too.

I remember one day after showering I decided to dry out and got online and forgot about putting my garments back on and before I knew it hours had passed and I blew up. By the time I put it back on it was snug but you believe I did knew better then to do it again!

I did not get the blubbers but I was anxious to heal as I'm sure we are all.  

I hope you feel better soon!

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

DrL
on 10/14/09 8:39 am, edited 10/14/09 8:40 am - Houston, TX
A few issues here.  The swelling may be with you for awhile.  Hopefully your doc gave you a heads up on this....I won't even consider taking an "after" photo for 3 months.

Skin wrinkling, creasing, and uneverness at the incision are also normal and will settle.

"Swell Hell" is just that, and it too will improve with time and some simple maneuvers (although I do not allow ice on the skin, which may be numb and can actually be damaged by heat or cold)

The emotional side is for sure related to anesthesia, sleep cycle disruptions, and pain meds/paid med withdrawal.

My observation from a psychological standpoint is that the happiness and satisfaction that many patients expect from their new bodies doesn't come for some time. Sometimes even many months.

I tell patients that the psychological baggage (insecurity, low self-esteem, body image issues)related to the development of obesity "doesn't come off with the skin."  It took years to for most people to come to the decision to have WLS and then plastics.  I think that although the physical change happens overnight, the mind requires a process to adapt to it.

Mary Jo Rapini and I have talked about this a lot over dinner, etc. The process can take time, and one useful tool I have used is to review the before and after photos at about 3 months. It helps to have signif. others on hand too (who may also feel frustrated that the patient isn't seeing the improvements they all see, or isn't happy after having gone through so much.)

I inform patients of this ahead of time, because they sometimes "feel bad about feeling bad !" and so I ask the to just be upfront about their anxieties if they have them. Its a process.

So what you're feeling is not uncommon, you WILL physically and emotionally improve.  It just takes some time, and simply being aware of the process will give you power to overcome it.

Onward !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Sherry J.
on 10/15/09 9:50 am - Brooklyn, NY
 Dr. John -this note is awesome and comforting. Thank you.  I am happy with my Doc but the one piece of feedback I plan to give him is they did not prepare me for the post surgery experience.  It has only been through these great people on this message board that I have been able to learn what to expect and how to handle it.  I had a good couple of days and actually do now feel that I am reacting to swelling that will eventually go down.  So happy days are back and I don't regret finally taking control and getting the body I always felt I deserved!
DrL
on 10/15/09 3:33 pm - Houston, TX
Glad you had a few bright days in there...but the swelling can be a real test of faith and delay the onset of your final satisfaction.  Remember how you got to where you are now, slow and steady wil win the race for you.  Seek and surround yourself with believers in your journey, and keep us posted ! 
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
sablouwho
on 10/18/09 6:14 am - La La Land, CA
Dr. L~

I haven't had my plastics work done yet, (waiting to hear from insurance, fingers crossed) but I have to say, your post above is VERY helpful. Thank you!
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Most Active