Drains fell out going on 3rd week from tummy tuck.. Experience with this?

Jadems
on 10/11/09 4:52 am - Cambridge, MA
I have been admittedly too active and busted a stitch in my armpit from my brachioplasty. My next trick involved  my remaining drains falling out yesterday morning and then today from my tummy tuck. I don't think the drains were due to activity for they fell out in the morning after sleeping. Tomorrow will be the beginning of the third week of reccovery. I was still draining 60 ml this morning and I was told the drains can be removed after the output was 30 ml in a 24 hour period. I am concerned that I will be at risk for a seroma. Does anyone recall have their drains fall out prematurely and did they get syringed at the physician office? What was the frequency of the doc visits and if a seroma did occur, what was the beginning signs? Appreciate the feedback.

cbhjr98
on 10/11/09 5:47 am
OMG! How scary - I think I would freak out though... My doc pulled all of my drains out at 36 hrs where the highest output of the 6 was at 25ml (his requirement is <30ml in 24hrs - surgery finished at noon and drains were taken out at 7pm the next night).  What would have freaked me out is my shortest drain was in no less than 6 inches and sewen in, so I can't imagine one of them coming out - OY!

On the other hand, with my LBL/thigh lift I got a hematoma/seroma the size of a ping pong ball (one doc said it was hema, my surgeon said it was a seroma) - it stayed the exact same size for three months then over about a week it POOF just went down like nothing flat - for no reason. (I was set to have it removed w/ this surgery since it didnt' hurt or anything). No one knows why it just disappeared but it's now totally gone.

Good luck!
Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Jadems
on 10/11/09 11:10 am - Cambridge, MA
Interesting.. These are not sewn in from what i can tell and it wasn't painful. They are pushed pretty far up there. It almost seems easy for them to work their way out over time. I had a lot of skin on the abdomen and a hefty scar hip to hip so perhaps my drainage was significant and warranted sending home with multiple drains.  I didn't realize that seromas could result in surgery so I am defintely glad I am seeing the doc Tuesday. Thanks!
Redhaired
on 10/11/09 6:01 am - Mouseville, FL
I had a drain fall out after my breast lift.  It was not a big deal.  I continued to drain from that site so I just taped a sanitary napkin over the little hole.  But by all means talk to your surgeon about it.

Red

Jadems
on 10/11/09 11:16 am - Cambridge, MA

I agree it didn't hurt but the entry points are scabbing over so I'm not sure how much draining I'll have. Seeing the doc Tuesday... Thanks!

Most Active