Slightly different question: where did you get your information about plastic surgery options?

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 6:44 am - San Jose, CA
Please feel free to give more than one answer, if you had multiple sources.  For example, did you get all your information from OH?  Other sites?  What other support groups do you use besides OH?
BigCityGirl
on 10/11/09 6:49 am - San Diego, CA
I went on consults and got information from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons - the best source IMO.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 6:54 am - San Jose, CA
True, that -- but how did you get THEIR names?  From the phone book?  From your bariatric surgeon?  From other patients of your surgeon in your support group, who were further along than you?  From OH ads?  From other patients on OH?  I'm particularly curious if there are other sites where people are getting information like this forum.  I couldn't find a general site -- at best, a couple of dead Yahoo groups.
BigCityGirl
on 10/11/09 8:26 am - San Diego, CA
I found a couple through my PCP.  Also found a few through other women I know who have had work done (not bariactric patients).   The surgical group I settled on was voted #1 in San Diego for the past several years.  I went on reputation.  I did not find any through OH. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 7:06 am - Haleiwa, HI
Diane,

I got a lot of info from here, but I also researched my local area,  locateadoc.com, makemeheal.com, plasticsurgeryjourneys.com, names that I saw on TV/weight loss shows, and mymexicopsjourney.com. I also read, read, and read.  I spent way too much time on the internet!  LOL!  I searched for reviews on all of the Dr's that I was interested in.  Google was a very good friend to me. 

Jessica
BonBon1
on 10/11/09 7:09 am - Somewhere, GA

I haven't had my PS yet, but soon, I hope.  I've gotten info from several places: people who've had plastic surgery in my support group,  www.makemeheal.com, and www.realself.com.     Also info about PS in other countries on www.plasticsurgeryjourneys.com
                      Hope that helps.                 Bonnie

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 12:39 pm - San Jose, CA
Thanks -- I didn't see those sites before.  That's the kind of thing I was looking for!
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 7:10 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I rely on OH more for learning about other peoples experiences post-Op and how they prepared for surgery.
For picking a surgeon I did research on City and State website and on places like ratemd.  I also checked out other sites like make-me-heal, Real Self, and a few more.  The best thing I did was at the end of each consultation if I felt I was seriously interested in the surgeon I asked for the name and phone number of 3-5 former patients who had the same procedures done that I wanted to have.  I wanted to speak to them.  FYI - the reason I asked for their number to call them was because if you rely only on "reviews" on a site you have no idea who is really posting them.  Face it, it could be the Dr themselves posting it or someone from their office.  
By going to the State sites you can see if there were any legal problems, malpractice, etc...(I saw one surgeon who was sued after a patient died).

I think it is important to do LOTS of research, don't make such an important decision solely based on reviews from one website (especially when Dr's are posting on the website),
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 10:06 am - Haleiwa, HI
I am just trying to figure out who the Dr is that is having others post for him. I know it was happening on psjourneys years ago, but I didn't know it happened on here too.

We were telling Dr Sauceda all about the boards on Thursday, and he had no idea that there was so much chatter about him!  He himself has never even visited the board.  He has been to the conferences, but that is about it.  I really could not be happier with my results, and I am very proud to be one of his patients.  His personality may be fantastic, but his skill far outweighs anything else mentioned.  This man is an artist, and he did an amazing job on my body. 

Diane,I don't think there is any sure fire way that is the best way to find the perfect surgeon.  You have to follow what you think is best for you and what you feel is right in your heart.  Everyone has given some great suggestions for you to consider, but it comes down to what you are comfortable with. 

I really wish you the best luck on finding the perfect surgeon for you and your situation.  When you do, I will be right there to support you in any way I can!  Isn't that what we are all here for in the first place? :)

Jessica
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 10:20 am
"We were telling Dr Sauceda all about the boards on Thursday, and he had no idea that there was so much chatter about him!  He himself has never even visited the board.  He has been to the conferences, but that is about it."

Most Active