Scar cream/gel

aimee43
on 10/10/09 11:07 am

My TT was 10/1, I've had one follow-up with my surgeon, the next appt is in a few days. I understand that he recommends Nu-Gel for his pt's. I called my PS's office to ask the price, they said it's $75 for the product. It comes in sheets of apprx 6"x8" and they said it's reusable for several times. The person I spoke to didn't know if that price was for one or multiple sheets. I went online and found 3 sheets this size for $60 (no mention of reusable though). The office manager said she used this product and it worked wonders. Has anyone else used a good scar cream or gel or sheet or anything post surgery? Did you find that it helped? Also, how soon after surgery did you use it? He apparently wants me using it after the scabs have disappeared. Wonder when that is???

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/09 11:20 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Yes I've used the silicone sheets and love them!
Here's a link to a good website..... www.newmedical.com/purchases.htm

I've had good success with Mederma (put did not like scar zone).

Hope that helps...
workingmommy
on 10/10/09 1:55 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with

I have been using Kelo-cote per my PS.  He likes it because he said that it has the highest percentage of silicone (taking his word for it...I don;t have time to research!).  I bought a big old tube from Amazon and it has lasted a couple of months so far.  I am bad in that it says to use twice daily, but I don't always remember.  However, it seems to be working fine so far!  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

BarbD
on 10/10/09 9:22 pm - IL
VSG on 12/11/07 with
I used NewGel Silicone strips at night on my arms.  Used KelaCote during the day.
I'm very happy with how my scars look.   I used the blue and beige strips.
I soak/washed them every other day in mild detergent, then rinsed & dried smooth side up on a hand towel.  I started the scar therapy at 6 weeks post op; probably could have started earlier.
That was my choice.  But I agree, AFTER all incisions are healed and all scabs are gone.
They'll start losing their "stickiness" at about 4 weeks so I cut off the ends.  I can make them last about 6 weeks.  I ordered mine online at the NewGel website.  Yes, they're expensive, but I really think they helped.  Any more questions, pm me.  Barb
Renee2007
on 10/10/09 10:36 pm - Central, FL
Where did you purchase the NewGel strips? I tried to google it and I'm not having much luck.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

BarbD
on 10/11/09 12:31 am - IL
VSG on 12/11/07 with
Below is their website for ordering:
http://www.newmedical.com/purchases.htm
They have a wide variety of sizes.  I'm having a breast lift this Thursday so I'll be buying more
for those scars.  Continued good luck with your recuperation.  Barb

The following site gives you more information on their product and a good Q&A section.

http://www.newmedical.com/howtouse.htm
O. Kufi
on 10/11/09 2:43 am
I am prone to keloiding as I found out after my RNY. So when I had my PS I expected scarring and agrred for me it was worth the trade.

Anyhoo after my 2nd round of PS, my surgeon suggested I start using a silicone sheet. They can be pretty expensive. I found some post on this board where a few people were using the CVS brand scar treatment. I started using it about 3 weeks after surgery. Doctor said once I was healed without any scabbing. I wear them 24/7 except to shower. You clean them let them dry then put them back on. A box of 28 1.5 x 2.75 sheets are under $30.00.

I have also heard good things about Kele-Cote. After 4 months or so with these sheets I am going to use the Kele-Cote.

There is a difference between the scars that I have used the sheets and the ones I have not. 

God speed on your search for something that works for you.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Most Active