I want to run!!!

Monica P.
on 10/9/09 2:13 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

As of today I am out 6 weeks from my LBL and am offically cleared to return to 'normal exercise'.  I've been on walks here and there but no runs yet.  Previous to surgery I completed four half marathons and countless 5k runs.

I am so excited to run without my belly!

I'm entered in this sunday's Long Beach Marathon 5k...I am so excited, I can see the course from my office window this morning. I WANT TO RUN!

Are there any post-plastics runners out there? How did you return to exercise and running? Any tips or advice? Thanks!

BigCityGirl
on 10/9/09 3:05 am - San Diego, CA
I run.  And I came back slowly and steadily.  For instance, I was running three miles a day prior to surgery and after surgery, I cut back to 1.5 the first week and then the second week I went to 2 miles and in the third week I was back to three miles. 

Good luck with everything.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/09 3:27 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Start slow!!!
I didn't and just pulled my stomach muscle.  I'm in more pain today than I was when I came home after surgery!!  So please go slow....
musicorrie
on 10/9/09 6:33 am - Houston, TX
So jealous of the runners!  I think I'm gonna start the Couch-to-5k program next week, because I want to be part of the club.  I'm post-WLS, pre-plastics, and I've got quite the panni and shaky jello thighs... did you ladies wear some kind of compression for running before you had PS?

Corrie
Monica P.
on 10/9/09 7:55 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

The couch to 5k is such a fantastic program, DO IT!!!  Even with my jiggly panni I ran four 13.1 mile races....and all the training required too.

I'm not a small girl either...I was at 250 when I began running..

Yes, I do prefer to wear compression garments when I run and a really good sports bra for the girls. You're more comfortable when everything is held down. :)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/9/09 8:14 am
Wow Monica!  I'm do proud of you!  That's wonderful!  Where can I find the details of the Couch to 5K?

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

O. Kufi
on 10/9/09 7:22 am
I'm jealous of runners. But God speed on your run!

I'm with you Corrie, I'll be joining you in that couch-marathon!

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Most Active