Recliner after TT???

L N.
on 10/9/09 8:43 am - , CA

I had an LBL in August. I am in my fifties, so feel that the healing process was a little slower. I slept in a rented recliner for 3 weeks and the fourth week started in my bed but  moved to the recliner during the night. I think it also depends on how firm your mattress is. I rented from Rent-a-Center and paid $100.00 for a month. They deliver and pick up. Do you have a rent a center in your area?? I definitely would make sure you rent a 'lift" recliner and have a toilet seat riser.....Just my opinion...Good Luck

LN

~ Robin ~
on 10/9/09 10:17 am - Muskegon, MI
Thanks so much for asking this!! I will have my TT (anchor cut) in December, and I bought a recliner before my RNY and slept in it for a couple of weeks. I KNOW I will need that again come December after my PS!! But, I have been wondering if I would want to rent a LIFT chair or if I would probably be ok in my recliner?? It was great for after RNY, but I know this will be a much harder recovery. I'm debating. I also have a shower chair, which was a Godsend when I was passing out during showers after RNY! lol (And has been borrowed by 2 relatives since, so I got my $25 out of it! lol ) I know I will use that again. I also plan to pick up a toilet seat lift thingy. Am I forgetting anything? 

- I will learn to let go what I cannot change, but I will change whatever I can. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Have you taken your vitamins today? 

Melissa M.
on 10/9/09 11:24 am, edited 10/9/09 11:34 am - Seabrook, TX
I slept in a lift chair for 2 weeks.  My bed was way to high to get into without a stool (I'm short). I'm pretty strong but you still use your legs and stomach muscles to push the leg part of a recliner down.  I wanted to make things as smooth as possible.  Better to have too much then not enough.  The nice thing about the lift chair is that it picks you up almost to an upright position and it made it much easier to get down too because you didn't have to sit too low to get to the chair.  One thing I liked is that you could control the recline and the legs moreso than a regular recliner.   Yes I could have managed a regular recliner, bit for me it was more a convenience thing more than anything. 
PamT
on 10/10/09 12:20 am - Downey, CA
I have two recliners and never used either of them. I wanted to be in MY bed!!!  Yes, I used LOTS & LOTS of pillows and getting in & out was not easy the first few days but, to me, the trade off was worth it--MY BED.

I arranged my pillows so my head & shoulders were slightly elevated, several on my sides for support & to keep me from turning on my side & some under my knees to elevate them & keep them bent. My husband called it my "hampster nest."   I had my TV remote on the nightstand, water, meds, anything else I needed to have handy & I was as comfortable as possible.
aimee43
on 10/10/09 10:59 am
I had my TT on 10/1 so I'm a fairly new veteran to this topic. I had a horizonal incision. I slept sitting up in a chair (not a recliner though) the first two nights I was home. Then I went to the bed. I found that with enough pillows I can get pretty comfortable. Obviously the more upright you are the easier it is to get up and down, just less distance to cover if you're already sitting up. I have to say this, I've had a c-sect and I had my gallbladder removed in '83 when they were still
doing these large incisions on your abdomen so this surgery feels about the same. My abdomen is sore, it's more comfortable when I sit than stand but it's about what I recall feeling like during my other recoveries. I was really scared this was going to be worse, and it isn't. Hope all goes well with you and that this helped a little too.
MistersMom65
on 10/10/09 2:27 pm - TN
I had a Appendectomy in 84 (also before laposcopy procdures!)& I remember that I was sore but I MADE myself get up. In fact(LOL) I snuck at 2 weeks & had sex and popped a stich..and I lived. I do appreciate the input..And thank you for the thoughts!!

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

MistersMom65
on 10/10/09 2:32 pm - TN
Thank everyone for their input. I'm remembering now that I did have to sleep on the couch in an upright position with a "nest" of pillows for the first 2 weeks home, that was after 5 days in the hospital...So I'm going with the lift chair..PLUS I have only 1 hand, the other arm ends 4 inches below the elbow. I don't have any problems as I was BORN this way BUT trying to get up with 1 hand/arm might be more than I can manage comfortably. Thanx again

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

MSHAMO
on 10/11/09 9:32 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
If you are having any muscle repair, I would recommend a recliner. I didn't have a lift recliner, my DH was with me 24/7 for 2 1/2 weeks. I could not get comfortable in my own bed, but did end up sleeping on the couch after about 1 1/2 weeks. Didn't want to use the recliner apparatus so I had my DH prop my feet up on another chair that was movable. The biggest tip, IMO, is to take your pain pills on a schedule and stool softeners. My worst problem was constipation. Don't  get too freaked out, I was very worried about the pain, but it is very manageable!! You will love your plastics!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
DS Facts
on 10/11/09 9:59 am
I have no idea why but I slept in a bed the first 4 nights post-LBL; I could not get in/out of the recliner. On the 5th night I could not sleep in the bed any longer (very hard mattress) and I switched to the couch which has been perfect, I get my butt lined up with where the cushions separate and it's the right angle to not pull on any incisions. I think sleeping post-op is very person dependent.
Most Active