Lower Body lift--swelling?!

Sensdncr86
on 10/7/09 12:35 pm - Tampa, FL
Hi I am 27 years old and had my RNY 25 months ago and a lower body lift on Sept 21st.
I spent alot of time researching and lurking here prior to surgery-and felt i really knew what to expect...However  I had my drains removed 10 days after surgey -I was down to 60 cc per 12 hours.

All of a sudden 4 days later I have Blown up with swelling. I expected some but this is quite uncomfortable (i literally feel the liquid "jiggling" around inside me when I walk) The Dr. says its normal but was it this apparrent for anyone else? Clothes I was wearing prior to surgery do not fit now! I feel like all of this re-stretching of the skin is going to cause more loose skin?

Can anyone give me some insight? 

Amanda

*~*Mandy*~*

"Surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams"
MelissaF
on 10/7/09 10:15 pm - Northwood, IA
Very normal!!!!

Our bodies are in a state of panic with all the trauma.  Remember just how much trauma to the tissues and underlying muscle happens with an LBL... swelling is the body's natural defense mechanism to provide healing to traumatized tissues.  Water weight, swelling if you will, weighs A LOT.  Look at a gallon of milk doesn't really look THAT big but weighs a ton, what 10 lbs?  

You won't have lose skin b/c of the swelling.. it will start to go down soon.  Wear your compression garments and watch sodium intake.  It will get better, I promise.

For now, relax and enjoy recuperating :)  Try not to stress.  I stressed WAY TOO MUCH!  I wish I hadn't... take my advice, really.

LOL.  I know it is hard.  Hang in there.  You will be so happy soon!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/09 12:41 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Like Melissa said swelling is normal and expected.  But I must say I'm surprised they removed your drain when you were pulling 60cc in 12 hrs.  Most surgeons I know of want you pulling less than 20cc in 24 hrs for at least 2 days in a row before removing the drain.  I'm wondering if that is contributing to your swelling too.

If you are really concerned, I'd call the surgeons office and talk to the nurse.

Best wishes on your recovery!
Sensdncr86
on 10/9/09 3:33 pm - Tampa, FL
Thank you so much for the quick responses! I went in this week and it turns out I have a seroma-basically just fluid build up. i agree the drains probably came out too early, but my Dr. apparently doesnt like leaving them in more than 2 weeks. Not sure of the rationale. They are going to drain me Monday and have instructed me to wear a compression girdle until then. The LBL pain was nothing compared to this.  
                     *~*Mandy*~*

"Surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams"
Most Active