They're not going away!

Monica P.
on 10/7/09 2:51 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

My one little red sore has turned into three. Over the weekend I was rubbing it (instead of scratching) and the darn thing 'popped' and began to drain right there in the middle of the mall!

My surgeon says there's nothing I can do but wait it out. It's a stitch that my body is rejecting and trying to push out to the surface. I was told that since it's beginning to bleed its a good sign, meaning that the stitch is almost ready to come out.

:(  I don't like this.

redsore.jpg picture by moe_in_lb

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/09 3:41 am
Monica, I am sorry you are having to deal with this after having such great results.  It will get better soon, I promise.

Sherline
Monica P.
on 10/7/09 9:41 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Thank you Sherline, you make a good point....considering how well I've done I really don't have a lot to complain about. I've been blessed with good health and now a flat tummy. :)
BigCityGirl
on 10/7/09 3:48 am - San Diego, CA
I wouldn't worry about it.  My body, through four rounds of plastic surgery, always "spit" stitches - everywhere and a lot of them.  Everything healed nicely. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Monica P.
on 10/7/09 9:40 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
How did the scar heal? I'm wondering what these craters are going to look like when they heal.
BigCityGirl
on 10/7/09 12:08 pm - San Diego, CA
Mine had little blisters that broke and healed rather quickly.  My scars show no sign of the stitches.  There was a little discoloration at first after the wound and blister healed but then everything healed properly.  I hope everything works out for you.  Good luck.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/09 10:11 am, edited 10/7/09 10:12 am
Monica, I found the pop-ooze phenomenon to be really disturbing.  But your surgery was recent, and it won't last forever.

Seems like it when it's happening, though, I know.

I'm now ten weeks post-op.  A 1-1/2" section of my pannus-flab removal came unhinged three weeks ago, and so did I!!!  My surgeon stitched it up immediately (5:30 on a Saturday evening), and it continued "leaking" ickiness until just today, when it stopped.  I was astonished, because it seems I've been leaking something from some place for the last two and a half months!!!  I still have a whole box of huge gauze rolls because I think I believed it would go on and on for months.

But it won't.  Ironically, "spitting" stitches means your surgeon used about three layers of suturing to hold you together -- a sign of quality work.  Some of the stitches absorb, and some reject.  Your body will be done with them in time.

cleos_mom
on 10/7/09 12:10 pm - phila., PA
my body rejected a stitch on my thigh he watched it for 3 weeks and I used warm compresses but he finally had to cut it out then it was healed immediately
good luck
Most Active