Anchor Cut Scars?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/10/09 10:37 am - OH
Mine is not the typical case, but when I had my TT I did not care about the incision (I had open RNY so there was already a large incision), but my incision turned necrotic (a complication that happens, apparently, in varying degrees about 10% of the time) and I ended up with a huge open wound... so now I have an area of my belly that looks more like a burned area.  Fortunately, I had a reverse TT (since I had already had a panniculectomy), so the scarred area is up at the bottom of my ribcage and under my breasts.... but I still have the long incision below it (that also looks more like a thin burned area than an incision.

As I said, necrosis (whether from circulation issues or infection) is not terribly common, but if you are that concerned about an incision, you need to be prepared for the slight possibility of ending up with something much more significant than just a thin white line...

I think the biggest question is whether your surgeon believes he can give you an acceptable result without doing a vertical incision.  Most of the time for post-WLS patients, the answer is no, but I realize that soem have much less extra skin than most/many.  Are you willing to have a potentially less desirable result to avoid the incision? 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie B.
on 10/10/09 9:06 pm - Superior, WI
Thank you for your input.  I value your information. 
Katie

Most Active