Anchor Cut Scars?

Katie B.
on 10/6/09 10:15 pm - Superior, WI
I am at the beginning stages of exploring plastic surgery.  I went for an initial consult two weeks ago.  The surgeon suggested that what might be best in my case for my extra skin on my tummy was an anchor cut.  I am honestly not exicted about a large cut down the middle of my stomach, but I also don't plan on exposing my midriff ever as that is not in my character or style.  Anyways....wondering....for those that have had this type of cut, how did the scar end up looking?  Was the healing process more difficult due to the extra amount of incisions?  Any other information related to this that would be helpful would be appreciated.  Thanks everybody in advance for your response. 
Katie

MSHAMO
on 10/7/09 12:31 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I, also, did not want a scar down the middle of my stomach and, also, knew that I would not be exposing my tummy, but opted NOT to have the anchor. BUT, I can definitely see that if I had had an anchor cut, that a lot of my midriff would have been removed. Frankly, if I had it to do over and with the knowledge that I have now, I probably WOULD have the anchor, even though I am really pleased with my outcome. Hope that helps a little, but, whatever you decide you will love your new tummy. Hugs!!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Anjail
on 10/7/09 12:35 am - Detroit, MI

I had the anchor cut on 9/11/09. Scar isnt too bad. Would rather the scar than the muffin top. LOL. Actually the scar isn't too bad and believe it or not it is turning the color of my skin already. Everyone is different. I don't plan on wearing any belly shirts or two piece bikini either so basically the only person whom would ever see the scar is my sweetie pie. The healing process isn't too bad. Just have to get use to my muscles being so tight. Some days I have to stand up really slow to stretch the muscle before I can stand up straight but other than that no problems.

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 10/7/09 1:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
In my experience the anchor scar made it much harder for me to recover.. I couldn't stand up straight because it would stretch the scar and that hurt a lot. Took me 2 months to be able to stand up straight on a constant basis. Couldn't lay on my stomach until 3 months post op.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 10/7/09 1:23 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I feel like I should add this: Had I of gone to a more skilled surgeon, I think my outcome/recovery would have been better.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/09 1:39 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
For the year I was planning my plastic surgery I never thought about having an anchor cut.  After MANY consultations a surgeon suggested I do the anchor cut because I had a lot of laxity, saggy skin above my belly button and on the sides.  He explained if I didn't do the anchor cut and he just pulled it straight down that I would end up with loose skin on the sides and probably in the middle.....it made sense to me.  I came home did some research and within a few hours I decided to go for the Anchor Cut.

I had my Tummy Tuck (with anchor cut) done 5 weeks ago.  I am THRILLED with the results.  I have a small waist, a definite hour glass shape.  I am amazed at how much better the scar looks than I expected.

So if you don't plan on running around with your midriff exposed and you want the tightest result possible I'd say go for the anchor cut....but it is a very personal decision.

Best wishes on your decision and future surgeries...
Melissa M.
on 10/7/09 6:22 am - Seabrook, TX

My scar has healed just fine and I had no issues.  I new I wanted the anchor cut from the get go since I already had a vertical scar from my open WLS.  I think the anchor cut can help give you the best results depending on how much excess skin you have and where it is located.  Your surgeon can help you decide what would work best for you.

Katie B.
on 10/7/09 11:47 pm - Superior, WI
Thank you to everyone who shared their experience and information with me.  This site is so valueable to me!
Katie

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 10/8/09 4:47 am
I did - check out my page - pswd is Love2009

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Hi Katie! I asked our doctor about anchor cuts and he said he does his best to avoid this incision. The only time it is done is when there is severe horizontal laxity. Try doing more consults to see if you can avoid this incision to repair that area.

Best of luck to you!
Tania
Patient Liaison
Plastic Surgery Body Contouring Center
http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com
Most Active