Redistribution of weight after tummy tuck

kim37207
on 10/6/09 4:22 am - nashville, TN
I am 6 years out from DS and had breast lift & tummy tuck 3 years ago.  I have noticed since the tummy tuck, my weight has redistributed to my legs, specifically my inner thighs.  I have noticed in the last year that I now have these fatty deposits on my inner thighs.  I have heard that once the fat cells are cut away from one area, they now migrate to other areas of the body.  Mine have landed on my inner thighs which are very unsightly.   They show through all of my pants, especially dress pants.  I have purchased some Spanx thigh garments to minimize this, but it is still very depressing to look down and have these.  It doesn't matter how much I exercise that area, it is still there.  Having a thighaplasty is totally out of the question due to the healing process and expenses.  I have heard that is the worst plastic surgery to have due to the moisture and wounds reopening and have to be packed.  This totally scares me. 

Is anyone else experiencing this or am I the only lone soldier? 
BigCityGirl
on 10/6/09 4:50 am - San Diego, CA
I was warned in advance that weight regain after LBL (or TT) or any of the various procedures would result in a redistribution to areas that may not be desirable.  My LBL was over two years ago and I have worked really hard to continue losing weight (and not regain any).   I know that if I were to regain my weight it would all go to my thighs!  I spend plenty of time in the gym trying to keep and maintain the body I have today. 

My SIL's sister has this problem.  She was not a bariactric patient but had a TT and lipo to several areas and then regained lots of weight and the new weight distribution is to her back and arms and flanks. 

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 6:32 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Good Grief I've never heard of this! 
I guess it just hammers home that the lifestyle change of good eating and exercise must remain a daily focus even after reaching goal and having all the excess skin cut off.
Thanks for the dose of reality.
cleos_mom
on 10/6/09 6:58 am - phila., PA
I had a thighplasty and it was more painful then the TT but I wouldn't say it was unbareable, my wounds did not open and they did not have to be packed as far as moisture, there is more moisture down there when you have a baby from your epiosotomy and that never stopped people from having babies.
I have heard that about weight so I try very hard to keep my weight stable, I don't know where my weight would pop out probably in my calfs & breasts, I had my TT, inner thigh, back, butt, bra fat and I am having my arms done
Good luck
Susan
O. Kufi
on 10/6/09 7:50 am
I am 2 years 3 months out from my WLS. I am only a little over a year from a lbl with muscle repair, BL/BA, medial thigh lift and arm lift and 3 months from a thigh lift and I have not had any problems with my thigh lift or other surgeries. I have heard that people have had issues with their thigh lifts but thats also about other surgeries too. Everyone is a little different.

I do agree that it is a reality check that we must continue to be vigilant in this process. I work to stay several pounds below my doctors goal.

Thanks for the reminder! I hope things work out to your satisfaction.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

B.J.
on 10/6/09 10:29 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
I am in the same boat, having gained back 30 lbs since my lowest weight and TT procedure. I looked too thin in the face, so wanted to put a few pounds back on. But now I've gone overboard and am paying the price.

Fat cells were REMOVED from our bodies during these plastic surgeries, and they don't come back. The ones that were left behind will continue to get larger with weight gain. Thus, I now have the flattest belly . . . but my inner thighs are I think, larger and flabbier than they were at my highest weight?!

For me, too, thigh surgery is totally out of the picture.

-BJ
kim37207
on 10/7/09 3:24 am - nashville, TN
I failed to mention that  the scale flunctuates about 5 lbs (up and down) since I had this surgery 3 years ago and I swear, all 5 lbs are sitting on my inner thighs.  I can workout and eat properly to lose the extra 5 lbs, but the fat never comes off the thighs.  Yes, my stomach is also the flattest and yes my thighs are also bigger now than they were before I ever had the gastric bypass 6 years ago and I weighed 356 lbs at my heaviest and lost 180 of it.  

Thanks for all of your comments. 
joychaser
on 10/6/09 11:46 am - MI
I am MOST certainly in the same boat. I am 5 years post op lap band and 1 year post op LBL with Butt flap. My thighs SUCK! Right after surgery they looked beautiful and smooth. I have never really had a horrible leg issue with my weight. NOW I DO! I have this permanent dip. My thighs bulge, than the side area where skin was removed is flat and it than bulges again at the hips. It is frustrating but in all honesty...I would not change it. What I have now is FAR better than the mounds of fatty tissue I had. PERK: I have the cutest belly button EVER!
From 251 to 141 and LOVING every minute of it! From a size 18 to a size 6-8!
I can finally SPREAD my wings again!
M B.
on 10/6/09 11:57 am - Warrensburg, MO
Boy I really appreciate this post.  I am having an anchor cut TT on Nov 12th.  I currently weigh 168 but would like to be around 150.  This information gives me much more motivation to lose as much as I can before my TT and I sure don't want to gain any back after.   

It is sure true that the most important thing that we can learn on the journey is to develop healthy habits in diet and exercise. 

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Melissa M.
on 10/6/09 1:24 pm - Seabrook, TX
I have definitely heard of this from a few people.  I know of one lady at work who had a TT after her WLS.  Now I don't know how much she gained after her TT or maybe she just never got really small, but she has large hips and thighs and a flat stomach. Her pants fit her loose in her abdomen and crotch area but fit her snug everywhere else.  So yes it can happen.

As far as the thigh lift, I have seen far more people heal with no issues than those who have had issues.  Complications can happen with any type of PS but I wouldn't say everyone has problems with healing with an inner thigh lift.
Most Active