Swelling and Exercise

katiekat412
on 10/1/09 2:42 am
Hi All,

There have been a lot of posts lately about the swelling being worse than expected and lasting longer than expected. Many veterans have responded that the swelling can last for a long time, that it is aggrevated by activity, and that elevating the extremeties helps.

So, my question is, what about exercise???? I'm like an exercise JUNKIE! 
 I need it to maintain my weight let alone lose any (which I still hope to do). Not only do I exercise a lot, but I teack kickboxing and I want to get back to work.

What are your experiences with exercise? Is the swelling tolerable? Is it obvious (will I look like a blow fish)?  What did you do about it (i.e. exercise and deal with it, wait longer, etc)?

Thanks!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

totalfreedom
on 10/1/09 6:01 am - Northern CA
Hi,

I am 9 months out from a LBL/TT/thigh lift and breast lift.  I had more procedures in May. 

Prior to the PS i was an avid exerciser.  Running and weight training. 

My swelling experience has not been great.  I still swell on a daily basis.  Some days are better then others.  However, it has improved over this time, or I am just getting used to it!

Anyway, I was concerned about going back to any extensive exercising thinking my swelling would get worse.  However, the opposite has happened.  I think it has helped get the lymph moving, so it (the swelling) improves instead of worsens.

So as long as you are good to go with your incisions, then I say go for it.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

TammyGirl1
on 10/1/09 7:25 am - Oakley, CA

Kelli/all, when were you able to start intense exercise/weight training after your LBL/TT? I too am an avid execiser...and would like to know when the approx timeframe is.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

totalfreedom
on 10/3/09 3:39 am - Northern CA

Hi,

It was 8 months before I started back for any kind of exercise.  i went full force though.  Hired a trainer for 10 visits 3x per week.  Slowly eased in, but it only took a couple of sessions to get right back into it.

I mainly did it to gain my confidence back and to make sure the swelling would be ok.  I also was test driving a new gym.  I ended up joining and now go 3x a week to a very intense body sculpting class.

The swelling is still there, but no more then normal.  The exercise does not increase it, for me it helps most days.

We are all different. My recovery was longer then I ever expected from my (LBL/TT/Thigh Lift/BL/Lipo AutoAug) plus I had more surgeries at 4.5 months from my first surgery.  So I just waited to to get back to exercise after my PS round in May.  So 3 months after my last surgeries and 8 months from my initial surgeries.

Hope that helps.  But the best que is to listen to what YOUR body tells you!

Kelli

Monica P.
on 10/2/09 4:28 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Thanks, that's encouraging news! I'm anxious to begin running again!
totalfreedom
on 10/3/09 3:41 am - Northern CA
That's great.  I don't run anymore.  The bouning of the boutee'  just does not feel normal at this time.  :-)

But my knees were starting to hurt anyway (52 yrs) so I figure it was time to find a replacement for the run.

Hope your swelling improves soon.

Kelli

boomer65
on 10/2/09 6:38 pm
I'm 9 months out from my TT with a BL/BA and had a reivsion on my left breast in May.  I too was an avid exerciser prior to my surgeries - lifting, spinning 3x a week, etc.  Unfortunately for me, my swelling only worsened after exercise the first few months and yes I did look like a blowfish!

For me, I made the deicision to wait to start exercising again.  I would walk and do some light workouts, but nothing very hard or fast.  I did this until about Mid-June and then gradually worked my way back in.  Now I'm pretty much good to go.  I work with a trainer 1 day a week, spin at least 1x a week, lift a few times and run on the treadmill (although I still have to hold "the girls" as it's a little uncomfortable to run).  

I still get a little swollen but nothing like before and it doesn't happen every time.  You need to listen to your body and do what's best for you.  I was starting to get freaked when I was reading about people who had more surgery or the same as me and were back in the gym full force 8 weeks after..... my body didn't like that plan.....

Franci

Most Active