Need LBL post op input pls

DS Facts
on 9/30/09 6:10 am
How much was removed from you? My sugeon told me today he removed 2 kg which is 4.4 lbs. It seems really low to me for a LBL, I was expecting at least 10 lbs.

The outside of the thighs looks huge to me. Any chance this is due to swelling and they will shrink a bit?

My tummy looks good, the upper part perhaps not as tight as I expected, butt looks good, but the outer thighs.. I'm freaked.

Input appreciated.
sonnieN
on 9/30/09 6:17 am - grand rapids, MI
My Dr. took off 9 lbs w/ my LBL. My thighs were swollen until 7 or 8 weeks post-op. It will get better.

Sonya
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 9/30/09 6:41 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I had 13.5lbs removed with my LBL. I don't remember my thighs being overly swollen - but everyone is different. I was extremely swollen around the middle and back for 2 months.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/09 6:42 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
Every surgeon I spoke to during consults said the skin will weigh LESS than I expect it to.  Especially if it is truly mostly skin being removed....if there is still lots of fat under there being removed then it will weigh a bit more but still not as much as you probably thought.

I just had a Tummy Tuck (not the full LBL)......I would have guessed the surgeon would take off about 10 lbs from my tummy but after releasing it was mostly skin I went in hoping he would say he removed at least 5 lbs.  Turns out it was about 7 lbs but I had a lot of laxity and he did a remarkable job (I had the fluer-de-lis cut).

I would be willing to bet you that it is swelling in your thighs.  My thighs are swollen and all I had was the tummy tuck so yes I think your thighs look huge to you because they are swollen.  You have to give it at least 3 months for all the swelling to go down.  When I had a small amount of lipo done on my outer thighs it took exactly 3 months for the swelling to go all away.

Hang in there, be patient (I know it's hard to be patient about it for me to!).
IF you are really concerned that the surgeon didn't take off enough then have an honest discussion with your surgeon and ask about doing a revision at about 6 months out if you are not happy.

Best wishes

Kennedy12
on 9/30/09 7:19 am - Chicago, IL
Bev,

As you know, my surgeon took off 17 lbs from me, not including lipo and I am so swollen I weigh 6 lbs more than I did before surgery. I feel like a stuffed sausage.

It will take time to really know your results. Did you have your thighs lipo'd at all? I know that can impact swelling and I think is the reason I puffed up so much.

I think talking to your surgeon is a great idea and let him know if you aren't happy. You paid enough, you should be happy. I wouldn't judge it based on how you are looking this soon after though.

Hang in there!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

DS Facts
on 9/30/09 7:43 am, edited 9/30/09 7:45 am
I didn't have any lipo done. I wondered if that was why the weight seemed so small to me, I thought maybe others had included what was lipo'd in their total. I am still amazed at your 17 lbs Jillian, that's fantastic. I know that in the end it's not the weight taken off that matters, it's how it all looks. There were just a few unexpected surprises at my first post op appointment that really threw me. I was so drugged up today (I thought he may remove drains so I went prepared) that I couldn't even do the conversion from kg to lbs in my head so I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. In his office he seemed impressed by 2kg.

The good news is I am healing up well.

EDIT: he did tell me it was mainly skin so maybe that helps explain it

wondering
on 9/30/09 8:29 am - Canada
Hey there, I've been thinking about you - so it seems that everything went relatively well.  How is the pain?  And were the drains removed or will you have to wait for that?  Would you do it again?  How did you like the doc, hospital, staff?
I'm glad you're well enough to write - glad things went okay (or at least hope they did).
L.

DS Facts
on 9/30/09 9:18 am
Things went really well, i'll send you a detailed recap in a week or so, still hard to get comfortable and type a lot. The pain has been completely manageable. I still have all 4 drains in, I think he will remove some if not all when I see him beginning of next week. The drains are no big deal at all, just empty them. I can shower now and that's the main thing. Hospital was great, I ended up in 2 nights because of nausea and not being able to pee. I really like Dr S. One thing to be sure and ask him is about your belly button. I cant remember if he and i discussed it (there were so many questions) or if I am thinking of my other consult, but I don't really have a belly button any more. I think it's there in the incision line but it was not cut around and put back in like I expected it to be. I don't care either way, looks ok to me, I was just surprised. He removed all the bandages today and 99% of the incisions look amazing, just one spot that has blistered that we need to watch. Send you more info soon.
Redhaired
on 10/1/09 1:31 am - Mouseville, FL
My doc said that he removed about five pounds when he did my TT.  He also said it was all skin.  I really think that makes a big difference.

Red

inkerdoodles
on 10/1/09 11:41 pm - Schenectady, NY
11 lbs for me

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Most Active