more info please on TT and hernia

cherylbella
on 9/24/09 2:11 pm
Hello everyone, This is my first time posting on this message board. I had a VSG on 07/30/08 and have lost 137 lbs. Needless to say my life is so much better and I am a very happy gal. I have developed a hernia and would like to have a TT when I have the hernia repair done. I have seen a few post and would like more wise consul from my OH friends. What is the recovery? How was the pain? Was it hard to talk your surgeon into doing both. Did you have just one surgeon and did he do both? Thank you in advance for your information. Everyone have a beautiful night
Cheryl

Redhaired
on 9/24/09 9:57 pm - Mouseville, FL

My plastic surgeon fixed my hernia while doing my TT.  It was not an issue at all and in fact I think the hernia repair may have helped me get the TT.  But then too, my hernia was small.  I have read of people who have both general surgeon and plastic surgeon operating in tandem; one for hernia repair and one for TT.  I would talk to the plastic surgeon and get his/her take on the hernia repair.  He/she will have no qualms about telling you whether or not it is beyond the scope of the work they do. 

Red

cherylbella
on 9/25/09 2:33 am

Oh great. This is kinda what I wanted to hear. I am seeing the surgeon on Monday. Thank u so much.

kimmee2k
on 9/25/09 4:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Cheryl,

I have had 3 hernias it has left scars on me but I dont mind because they are repaired. I had mine done with my TT and the pain was tolerable. I was up the next day after my TT but I did take it easy for about 3 weeks. After that I was back to doing my daily routine. I have a high tolerance to pain so it was bearable for me. Everyone is diffrent so you will have to see how you feel. My general surgeon did my TT and then when my 2nd hernia broke my plastic surgeon did it and revised my TT more. So I have had 2 TT he fixed my muffin top as he did not like the muffin top. I wish you the best and you will do fine.
Kim
Jupiter6
on 9/25/09 8:54 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Had one surgeon who did both, and it was a very very painful recovery. Took about 3 months to even approach "normal." No need to talk him into anything-- he's the one who discovered the hernia-- it's common.

Insurance paid for the pannus and the hernia repair, but NOT the muscle repair (abdominoplasty.) So it was still about $4500 out of pocket I think. (Had multiple procedures.)

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

slowgoing
on 9/26/09 6:56 am - CA
My story is similar to Jupiter above, cost-wise and pain.  I must say that the pain pills he prescribed were very effective, however, and made it "tolerable" once I was home (was 3 days in hosp. since ins. cov'd part of this.  I had two hernias and a LARGE panni to be removed with muscle repair.  I was warned I would prob. lose my navel and I did - but I don't mind ... no more bikini's for me, anyway - lol.  I'm 62.  The Dr. also did the repairs with mesh being required and let me tell you, THAT was,  I think, the greatest source of my pain.  There was a lot of burning - a lot of burning for a few weeks.  But, it wasn't debilitating.  He didn't really address my muffin top well bec. he didn't want me under too long but overall I'm happy with the work.  It's now almost two years since surgery and I still have 90% numbness across the entire front where a full-size panty would be, from hip to hip.  I expect it will always be numb at this point.  It was still worth the surgery - a big improvement to say the least, just disappointed he didn't do the upper tummy part.

Good luck to you!

arline
I just talked to my surgeon and he said that doing the procedure at the same time is done. Most skilled plastic surgeons will do the procedure at the same time, but it depends on the severity of the hernia.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Tania
Patient Liaison
Plastic Surgery Body Contouring Center
http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com
Most Active