When do most people begin considering plastics?

lann08
on 9/24/09 12:45 am, edited 9/24/09 12:45 am - VA
   I'm under 10 lbs. before I reach my initial goal. I actually would love to lose 20 more total. Should I get plastic surgery when I reach my goal or is it recommended to wait and see how the body ultimately recovers from the rapid weight loss?
   To be quite honest, I would love to have plastic surgery NOW. I look fine with clothes on and a great support bra--minus the clothes and bra--different story. 
   Did most of you wait a few months or had it done right away?
Redhaired
on 9/24/09 1:21 am - Mouseville, FL

What I have read is that one should at least be at stable weight for a little while.  Whether one should be at goal or not depends on the plastic surgeon.  It is probably not too early to start talking to the plastics guys to get their take on what you will need and costs etc.  But do not be surprised or disappointed if they tell you to wait.

Red

thafatchick
on 9/24/09 1:43 am
I began looking into plastic surgery way before I decided to have wls.  I was curious as to what I might look like after I lost weight more so than about the actual surgery.  I know I will eventually be deflated all over, if my surgery does not fail.  I'm okay with being deflated for a time.   But I actually started imagining using a surgeon in Houston (Lamonaco, something like that) where I saw the pictures.  

If I had the money for ps, I would definitely go for it after I got married and had a few babies.  I wouldn't want to mess up my surgeons good work by getting prego and I don't want it to hurt.  I heard some ladies say on the pregnancy forum that their tummy's feel really stretched and hurt.  

Maybe you can ask your surgeon what they think.  They should have an idea of about when is a good time to have ps done.  

ThaFatChick
dw45
on 9/24/09 1:47 am - Hartford, AR
VSG on 03/23/09 with
The two PS surgeons that I have spoke with have suggested that I be at my goal weight.  I'm within around 10 lbs. and I'm hoping I can still have the surgery by the end of this year.

DW 

10 lb lost pre-op       5'10
Plastic Surgery completed 12/17/09 with Dr. Sauceda (Anchor Cut Tummy Tuck, Medial Thigh Lift & Eyelid Surgery)

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/09 5:37 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
hey DW....who are you considering using....I am in the planning stages as well.

Thanks!
katiekat412
on 9/24/09 2:13 am
With your current BMI it is a good time to start reasearching. While you could still lose more weight before your PS surgery, its best to not be waif thin. A good surgeon needs to sculpt, and if there is zero fat, the only thing they can do is remove skin or add implants. You shouldn't be losing much when you have surgery however, because your body needs to not be stressed so that it may heal appropriately.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Alice H.
on 9/24/09 2:35 am - Winterville, NC
My RNY surgeon suggests wiating until at least a year out from surgery and being at a stable weight for a few months.  I'm almost 2 years out and have been stable within 2-4 pounds for almost a year.  I'm scheduled for a LBL in Nov. 
Alice in OneDerland
H:260 G: 135 
C:145 L: 131 BMI: 26 H: 5' 2 1/2" 
RNY 10/07  LBL 11/09
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 9/24/09 3:18 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Lol I started considering Plastics a couple of days after WLS :P It went like this:

Before WLS I would look at every before/after RNY pic I could find
Had the RNY
Started looking at every before/after PS pic I could find
Had Plastics
Now I have nothing to look at :(

I had my plastics at 1yr 3 mo post-op. I was 196lbs (I'm 5'9") when I did it and I felt (and my surgeon felt) that I didn't have much excess fat left on my body - mostly just skin. Seemed like the perfect time to do plastics.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/09 11:55 am
 I started talking to a PS about eight months post-op, before my weight was stable.  He did not say to be stick-thin.  He said to be at a STABLE weight, and very healthy.  Then, when I was ready and had insurance coverage, he scheduled it.

Lynne R.
on 9/24/09 12:10 pm - Houston, TX
My surgeon, the wonderful Dr LoMonaco, says to wait until you have been at a stable weight for 6 months - in other words, if you are still loosing, you should wait.

Lynne

Most Active