Sick leave/State Disability after Plastics ??

TammyGirl1
on 9/24/09 3:30 am - Oakley, CA
I am wondering if people can use their sickleave for recovery after Plastics (in US or Mexico)? I know I would have to go onto Sate Disability after the 1st 4 days (or 5??) when I want to use my sickleave. I am just researching so I dont know if I will be doing it in US or Mexico but curious what others are doing. I do have 5 weeks vacation saved but would like to use some sickleave if possible since I have lots of that saved up....
Thanks,
Tammy
TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

Rachelynka
on 9/24/09 4:10 am - Pinole, CA
Hi Tammy.  There's a 7 day waiting period before State Disability will kick in.  I used my sick time for this 7 day waiting period.  I was suprised to find that the laws changed this year and you don't have to use all your sick and vacation time before you can get State Disability - just have to endure the 7 day wait period.  When I hade my RnY, I saved all my vacation time for follow up appts and actual vacations, and that's been a huge relief.  Hope all is well.  Will I see you Saturday at the Nor Cal Luncheon? Hope so!  Love & Hugs!
~Rachelynka               
TammyGirl1
on 9/24/09 4:15 am - Oakley, CA
Hey there!! Yep, I will be there. I got my weekends mixed up and missed last month :-( I was so disappointed!

So..at the least I can use 7 days of my sickleave before I have to use vacation(in the case state is not an option)? If I do it in Mexico, I am not sure how it works since I am not sure a Dr from there can fill out the paperwork..hope someone can help :-)

See ya in a couple days...Mimi's yum :-)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/24/09 4:55 am
Dr Sauceda is going to fill out my FMLA papers and the paperwork for my short term disability.  I got his snail mail address to send the paperwork!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

TammyGirl1
on 9/24/09 5:15 am - Oakley, CA
Ohhh so sweeeeet!!! :-)

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/09 6:38 am
I had my surgery on August 24 and I was approved for short term disability because my insurance paid for my tummy tuck.  If I wouldn't have sent the letter from Blue Cross Blue Shield stating it was medically necessary then I would have been denied my disability benefits.  A lot of states don't pay disability benefits for cosmetic surgery that's why your doctor must classify it as Reconstructive Surgery.

Sherline
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/09 9:22 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'm not positive but I think to qualify for FMLA it would have to be a "medical necessary" procedure.  If your insurance is paying you are probably ok.
If you are going to Mexico for surgery I'm not sure the Dr's from there can fill out the forms for you but your PCP might be able to......

Good luck with this!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/24/09 10:06 am
I think it all depends on your employer and your short term disability insurance carrier.
My LapBand wasn't covered by insurance, but I was able to get FMLA for 4 weeks and paid short term disability.  I'm not sure if they thought that was medically necessary or not.   I know that the FMLA papers have to be filled out by the actual surgeon doing the procedure.  My PCP would be fine filling the papers out, but my work won't accept his signature.  I'm starting this stuff early - 2 months early because I don't want to be left at the last minute not having things done, just in case there is a problem.  One never knows with these things.
I think the best thing to do is to contact your employer's HR department and the company that carries your short term disability insurance.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

totalfreedom
on 9/24/09 2:22 pm - Northern CA
Hi, I am in CA.  I used my SDI for both of my surgeries.  After I met the 7 day waiting period, I received it for 5 more additional weeks.  My employer coordinates with SDI, so I did not loose any pay while i was off and did not have to use all that much sick pay.  My doc classified it as reconstructive surgery on my paperwork that was sent to EDD.

You should be covered.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

katiekat412
on 9/26/09 5:13 am
Hi,

I didn't file for disability, only FMLA, but I had some similar concerns. I just wanted to say that I got approved yesterday, and my surgery will be in Mexico. The only procedure that is covered is the panni procedure, and I had to use the right words for approval. I filled out the papers for my doctor. I had to say that it was medically necessary to alleviate symptoms from the hanging skn, that the skin was a result of gastric bypass surgery, and that it was reconstructive. Never say plastic surgery.

Good luck

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Most Active