new pics 2 1/2 months p.o.

Diane B.
on 9/22/09 7:50 am - Seymour, CT
Hi everyone, I have been asked to post some updated pictures of my healing so far.  I have noticed some changes in my scars, which I am told by an occup. therapist is a normal part of the healing process, although I think I might not be  massaging as aggressively as I should. 

I have noticed a "reddening" of the scars, and on my right thigh, more of a raised "ropiness" near the bottom (see pics).  I have been using the kinesiotape, but haven't been taped in about a week.  Also, I am out of the compression garments, and have been not as vigilent about my massaging. 

I have to say also, that normal movements is a bit irritating on my scars, especially my arms.  (the rubbing against my clothing as I walk), so even though I hate them, I am very comfortable in my bra/arm garment, and tight bike shorts.  It is a love/hate relationship with these CG's!

I realize I did not post a pic of my tummy scar, it is so like an extension of my c-section, that I kinda forget about it, except when I see how super my mons looks since Dr. Sauceda lifted it as part of my TT.

I came across an article about scar healing, and after reading it, I am going back to my massaging big time.  My OT said it is not what lotion you massage with, it is how you massage, and that you do it often and aggressively.  Good luck everyone, here is that article:

Scars are the body's way of healing wounds. The type and extent of the scar is dependent on how deep the wound is and how a person's system produces scar tissue.  Scar tissue is not only present on the outside where you see the scar, but also  in the deep layers of the skin. Therefore, the deeper the wound is, the deeper the scar will be also.

The three phases of wound healing are:

1. Immediately after you have sustained a wound or have had surgery, the Inflammatory Phase starts. This phase is marked by swelling, pain and discoloration. While uncomfortable, the inflammatory phase sets the stage for the first phase of healing. The skin cells that let in the swelling also let in "clean-up" cells that help carry the swelling and debris away and make room for new cells and tissue.

2. During the second phase of wound healing, the Proliferative Phase, the base of the scar starts to form. A special type of cell called a fibroblast deposits collagen in the wound to close the gap and provide the base for new skin to grow. The deeper and wider the wound is, the more collagen is needed to fill the gap, resulting in a bigger scar.

3. In the third phase of wound healing and scar formation, called Remodeling Phase, the body continues to produce collagen for up to 2 years. In some cases, too much collagen is produced, resulting in a raised or thickened scar, also called a hypertrophic scar. The fibrous collagen can attach itself to other layers of tissue around it, such as tendons or muscles, and can restrict movement. This is called an adhesion. Adhesions or raised scars can be treated to soften the scar tissue and relieve the adhesions.

Treatments, including massage, moisturization and compression, are most effective during the early stages of the remodeling phase but can be effective even months after the wound has healed. Scar treatment will be discussed in more detail in a future blog.

Diane B. 

275# RNY 1-7-08 156# Dr. Bell Yale  New Haven CT
Brachio - BA - TT - TL 7-8-09 Dr. Sauceda Mexico

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/09 8:52 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Diane,
You look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for posting the updated pics...I'm anxiously awaiting the day I can get my thighs done....

Thanks for sharing!
dw45
on 9/22/09 12:11 pm - Hartford, AR
VSG on 03/23/09 with
Looks like you have healed very nicely.  Dr. Sauceda did an amazing job!

I'm meeting with him this Saturday for a consult.

I can't wait!

DW

10 lb lost pre-op       5'10
Plastic Surgery completed 12/17/09 with Dr. Sauceda (Anchor Cut Tummy Tuck, Medial Thigh Lift & Eyelid Surgery)

Leslie T.
on 9/22/09 12:36 pm - Northern, KY
Thank you for posting your pictures you look amazing!!!!  I am meeting with a PS to look at my arms and chest for the first round, your pictures make me even more excited for my consult.   I haven't had kids yet, so I am holding off on a TT until then.
RNY 5/2008 180 pounds lost from highest weight.   TT and arms done 12/2009
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/09 1:45 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Diane,

You look completely amazing and are still healing so nicely!  Dr Sauceda is the best! Thank you so much for keeping us updated with pictures!  I leave two weeks from today!

Jessica
DEBI R.
on 9/22/09 7:06 pm - CORSICANA, TX

You look awesome Diane!!

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

debbiel
on 9/22/09 7:48 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
Diane..You look great... you are healing very well...Thanks... for info on scar healing....  Debbie
shscharger
on 9/23/09 12:30 am - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
Diane

Thanks for the updated pictures and as always I really appreciate any / all the information you have on the scars !  Just want you to know I emailed Dr S a link to your last pics and told him to remember exactly how he did you thighs because I wanted my scars to look just like yours !! 

You look great and am sure your scars will only get better and better with time !!  I hope you will be around next month to help guide me and the others who will be down there with me thru the process ?? 

Talk soon
Tony
FLGail
on 9/23/09 1:11 am - Sun City, AZ
You look super Diane. Your PS did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                                                                  Gail
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 11:27 am
Wow Diane you look awesome! Thanks so much for updating your pics.  There is nothing more reassuring than seeing the prior success story's of the surgeon you are about to use prior to your surgery date... Thanks for the article as well great info!!! 
Most Active