Used Regular surgeon?

doreenh
on 9/21/09 5:37 pm, edited 9/21/09 5:37 pm - Meredith, NH

I went to the Drs(not my regular one) on Monday to get a rash documented; he says to me have you thought about getting that removed.  I laughed and said that's why I'm here for the documentation, so he gives me a referral to one of the Surgeons.  He said he's done quite a few.

I'm going to go next week and at least talk to him.  It won't hurt and I think I may have an easier time getting the approval than if I go to a PS and maybe get more bang for the buck. Plus, no consult fee so all I'm out is my $4 co-pay. I'm still scheduling an appt with the PS.

So I was wondering if anyone has had their TT etc done by a regular surgeon and if so how did it turn out?

Thanks
Doreen

cleos_mom
on 9/21/09 10:15 pm - phila., PA

NO, your PS should be board certified in plastics a General surgeon is not if you are only getting a panni removal I guess any Dr. can cut off skin but if you are getting an Abdominoplasty a full TT then you should get a real PS who does the muscle tightening cause you may even need Lipo that general surgeons don't do. most PS don't charge a consult fee they are free you don't even pay a deductible. PS should come from a referral not and advertisement that looks good
You should pick your surgeon by ability not price, I klnow pric does matter but I put my plastics on a CC with 0% for a year

Good Luck

Lynne R.
on 9/21/09 11:34 pm - Houston, TX
ummm - WHY  would you go to a surgeon for plastic surgery if he is not a board certified plastic surgeon? I would never consider it.

Lynne

Soaplady
on 9/22/09 1:41 am - Guilford, NY
A friend of mine, also a nurse, had her tt by a general surgeon...actually 2. They each took one side (I am NOT kidding) and got rid of her panni. I saw the scar and it had the requisite pucker more on one side than the other, but she was happy. I dont know that they tightened the muscles. I think she just wanted the panni gone.

For a more professional result, I would certainly go with a PS who is board certified, but if just getting the blob of skin and excess residual fat is your goal...go with your heart.

Soapy

B.J.
on 9/22/09 8:45 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
My WLS surgeon also did my TT, hernia repair, and abdominal muscle tightening. Cosmetically it's not the greatest -- my scar is uneven and longer/higher on one side, and ends in a patch of "bad skin" (stretchmarks) that I'm sure a plastic surgeon would have avoided.

That being said, there was no way my insurance was going to cover a plastic surgeon, so I am not complaining, I went for it.

But if I were dead set on going somewhere in a bikini . . . I'd opt for a PS.

-BJ
Johanna !
on 9/22/09 11:35 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
I have seen some after photos of TT done by reg surgeons and honestly I feel they look butchered.  I would go with a PS.  Their goal is not to just remove skin, but to do it in an aesthetically pleasing way.
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

Newlifeagain
on 9/23/09 4:14 am - Bakersfield, CA
Without going into details at this time, I would have to say PLEASE go to a board certified plastic surgeon.  IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

gonemadx3
on 9/24/09 3:21 am - East Peoria, IL

Go with the Plastic surgeon definately. No general surgeon! I've seen the difference and there is NO comparrison!

-Michele

lap band '05/revision to rny 11/21/07
5'6- hw/276 sw/242 cw/144 gw/140
then- bmi 36-39 now-bmi 24-
NORMAL WEIGHT

"It's  Not Who You Are On The Inside, It's What You Do That Defines You".....

or

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/09 11:22 am
We all get better at what we practice -- including surgeons.

If the guy has done "quite a few," it's not the same as having done hundreds or thousands.  It is CERTAIN that being a general surgeon is  not the same as being a plastic surgeon.

Would you go to a general surgeon for heart surgery?  Of course not, you'd get a cardiac surgeon.  Experience and board certification count!!!

Most Active