Surgery in Mexico? How the heck do you get followup?

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 1:45 pm
GIVEN:  Seven and a half weeks post-op I woke up and there was a small opening in an incision that scared the daylights outta me, because I'm chickensh*t about anything medical, and about my body specifically. 

I called my wonderful surgeon, who arranged to meet me in his office on an hour's notice, where he quickly examined the problem, re-sutured things, checked the overall progress of recovery, bandanged me up, and sent me home.

It was 5:30 on a Saturday night.

(I know he does things like this almost routinely, because he keeps meticulously close watch on his patients.)

Also GIVEN:    The first two weeks post-op I was in his office every two or three days.  The next month and a half I saw him weekly, or more often.  Now I'm on a bi-weekly schedule.

SO I ASK:  If you have surgery in Mexico which is hundreds or thousands of miles away... AND if other doctors won't risk taking on another doctor's problems/issues/surgical patients because of potential liability ... AND since major procedures require vigilant follow-up and patient visits afterwards . . .

. . . WHAT is happening with the patients of Mexican plastic surgeons AFTER they return to the states?  (or patients of any out-of-the-States/Canada surgeon)   ...  I read here about phone calls back and forth to the surgeon, but really ... this isn't a substitute for personal examination.  And then ... who does the follow-up care, exactly, if things aren't just right?

Who exactly takes responsibility for patients when they return home, when the doctor is far away and beyond the borders?
Melissa M.
on 9/20/09 1:54 pm - Seabrook, TX
When I considered PS in Mexico I spoke to two PCPs that I use and one of them offered to do my aftercare.  The other wouldn't consider it.  There was no way I was going to go to Mexico and not have a Dr to go to here in the states for this reason alone.  That was my biggest fear which is why I stayed in the states and went through a residency program.  After all, cost is the primary reason people go out of the country for their PS.   I even flew to Mexico for a PS consult and was even scheduling my surgery.   I was so glad to find the residency programs here in the states because the cost was the same or in some cases even less than going to Mexico. 

Chances are most folks who go out of the country won't have complications, but you never know going in if you will be one of the unlucky ones!
KRWaters
on 9/21/09 10:14 am - Manteca, CA
Okay, I am not pursuing PS just yet; I am still in my weight loss window, really only 5 months out. I am curious for future reference, what is a residency program for patients? I know about doctors' residency programs, ha!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Melissa M.
on 9/22/09 8:22 am, edited 9/22/09 8:25 am - Seabrook, TX
It's pretty much the same thing except it's for plastic surgery.  There is a board certified surgeon who is the attending physician (and has his private practice) and the Resident.  These Residents are in their final semester of medical school and will be going into private practice once they graduate . They already are general surgeons and have performed numerous surgeries before so it's not like they are operating on you for the first time.  Usually you will meet with the Resident first and discuss what you want done and what he can do for you and usually get your quotes at the end of the visit (like any PS consult).  Once you decide to schedule surgery, then you will meet with the attending physician and the Resident and basically go over everything again and discuss any other concerns just to be sure both Drs are on the same page.   

The  surgery fees are about half or more of what a private PS would charge.  There isn't any profit to be made and all surgeon fees go back to the school.  The hospital, OR and anesthesia is regular price, so no savings there.   I personally met with 2 different medical schools and with about 4 Residents (different semesters) and was impressed with all the drs I met.  I got the BEST aftercare with the Baylor program that I used. 

PM me if you have more questions!

Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 3:02 pm - Haleiwa, HI
I have not had my surgery yet, but I already have aftercare set up for me with my Dr here in Hawaii.  They are well aware of where I am going to have surgery, and I have an appointment to see them 3 days after I get home.  I will go to them to get my stitches out or drains out if I do not have them out already.  Also, Dr Sauceda requires you to stay a certain amount of days in Mexico as well depending on the surgery, and I am required to stay 12 days.  I decided to stay a few extra days and stay 16 days to give myself a few extra days of recovery.  During those 16 days, I know I will see Dr Sauceda every day for aftercare.  I also know that someone did have an issue with one of her breast incisions opening up due to lifting her bag, and he offered to bring her back to Mexico free of charge to fix it.  She ended up not going back because it healed on its own. 

This really isn't any different if someone decided to have surgery in California, and they lived in Texas. I was going to have to travel no matter what because I was not comfortable with the plastic surgeons in Hawaii.  I have spoken to a lot of fantastic Drs, and I have chosen to go to Mexico not just because it is cheaper, but I am also going for the Dr. I could have easily chosen a resident program as well, but I am actually receiving more benefits by going to Mexico.  Dr Sauceda comes to the hotel everyday to check on me, change my bandages, bring me meds, etc.  His wife is his anesthesiologist and uses twilight sedation,  so there is less risk and not be under general anesthesia.  I have heard from many of his patients on the minimal pain they feel after surgery, so that is a huge plus as well.   Dr Sauceda is well known to taking the best care of his patients and also offering revisions free of charge.  You might have to pay for your plane ticket, but that would be far less than the anesthesia fee or hospital/clinic fee here in the U.S. that most would pay if they have to have a revision.  I am getting implants too, and they are the same implants that are used in the states and also have the same warranty too.  I also asked about if I had major complications in Mexico, what would happen.  He said it would be no different than it would be in the U.S., and he would transfer me to the hospital if he cannot take care of me in the clinic.  Would I have to pay for it?  Sure, but wouldn't everyone else have to pay for their hospital stay in the U.S. too?  Would they be guaranteed they would be covered by their insurance from a complication from elective surgery?  Even if they did, wouldn't they probably have a copay or a percentage to pay? I am assuming the hospital fees in Mexico are far less than the ones in the U.S, just like plastic surgery is.  Dr Sauceda assured me that he had never had to transfer anyone to a hospital for complications.  That gave me great comfort.

So, I have taken the responsibility of making sure I have aftercare and chosen a plastic surgeon that also will take care of me if I do need something, even though he is far away.

I have surgery with Dr Sauceda in 18 days, and I cannot wait to see my new body!

Jessica
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 3:42 pm, edited 9/21/09 11:18 pm
 Hi Jessica -

Is the HI doctor doing your followup care also a plastic surgeon?  My doctor was very particular about who would deal with any issues while he was briefly out of town, and insisted that it not just be a plastic surgeon, but the best he can find.  Has your Mexican surgeon "vetted" the person doing your follow-up? 

I'm not doubting you, I'm just terribly curious.  My doctor was very specific about my not seeing another doctor, emergency room, anything ... just him in the event of questions, concerns, and problems ... because he didn't want anyone else touching his "work" -- This is part of my thinking (and yes, it certainly does apply somewhat to having work done "out of state" though my concerns are much greater for those pursuing medical tourism in third world countries like Mexico).

If I'd had a problem like mine, following surgery in Mexico -- for heaven's sake, I would have been terribly upset that my only alternative would have been to hop on a plane and go all the way to Mexico!!!  Good grief!!!  

How are others handling this?

It's great to read how enthusiastic about your upcoming surgery.  But what I really want to know is, what has happened to other patients of Mexican (. . . Indian, etc.) surgeons when problems have developed.

Jessica, please don't be offended, because I'm rereading my work and seeing how it could be taken this way.  You seem to know a great deal about the experience of surgeries that you haven't had yet.  

I'm particularly interested in the experiences of people who have had complications, major or trivial, and how it was managed from a vast difference and across international borders.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 4:03 pm - Haleiwa, HI
The first Dr. I am seeing is my weight loss surgeon because they do not release me to my normal PCM for 2 years.  They are the ones that will remove my drains, stitches, etc.  From there, they will put in a referral to see a plastic surgeon.  He will be the one to follow up if I have any problems, but I am hoping I will be just fine. 

I am not offended at all!  I have been researching for a long time, and I have done my homework.  While this may not be the right choice for everyone, it is the right choice for me.  I have weighed the pros and cons, and the pros greatly outweighed the cons in my situation.

Jessica
cbhjr98
on 9/20/09 5:37 pm
I had my RNY in India. My surgeon did virtual conferences via Skype. We had video, phone, IM and email. My PCP did my blood work. And like most other posters who went a distance to have something done, I stayed for a period of time (10 days after my last surgery) to make sure everything was "OK" before leaving the surgeon. He then gave me a "fit to fly" paper and off I went. 

Like Jessica said - how is going to Mexico from Hawaii any different than going to LA or somewhere from Hawaii (or in my case, going to the USA from Romania (where there was NO surgeons) vs India, Mexico or whereever) - you will still have the distance from you surgeon. Face it, if I was back home in Kansas (where my family is) I would STILL travel several hours just to get to a qualified plastic surgeon to do my surgery. I think the vets in my home town are more qualified towards major surgery than the docs are - they just do more of it.... Small towns, communities, etc that do not deal with 'our issues' full time are not going to have the expertise to handle it. It's much better to travel to an experianced surgeon who will most likely get the job done right the first time and deal with issues (even travel back for them) than to compromise and go to an unexperianced surgeon that is more than likely going to create issues and make the likelihood of having to go back almost a promise.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
poet_kelly
on 9/21/09 12:54 am - OH
If you have surgery in another country, you should arrange for a doctor near your home to do your follow up.  Some doctors don't want to take a patient that was operated on by someone else, so it may take a little work to find one who will see you for follow up.  Obviously you're not going to be able to hop on a plane and fly back to Mexico in an emergency.  Phone or video conferences are all well and good, but you need an actually doctor present in case you need actual medical care.

Kelly
shscharger
on 9/21/09 5:08 am, edited 9/21/09 11:11 pm - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
GIVEN:  Seven and a half weeks post-op I woke up and there was a small opening in an incision that scared the daylights outta me, because I'm chickensh*t about anything medical, and about my body specifically. 

I called my wonderful surgeon, who arranged to meet me in his office on an hour's notice, where he quickly examined the problem, re-sutured things, checked the overall progress of recovery, bandanged me up, and sent me home.

It was 5:30 on a Saturday night.

(I know he does things like this almost routinely, because he keeps meticulously close watch on his patients.)

Also GIVEN:    The first two weeks post-op I was in his office every two or three days.  The next month and a half I saw him weekly, or more often.  Now I'm on a bi-weekly schedule.

SO I ASK:  If you have surgery in Mexico which is hundreds or thousands of miles away... AND if other doctors won't risk taking on another doctor's problems/issues/surgical patients because of potential liability ... AND since major procedures require vigilant follow-up and patient visits afterwards . . .

. . . WHAT is happening with the patients of Mexican plastic surgeons AFTER they return to the states?  (or patients of any out-of-the-States/Canada surgeon)   ...  I read here about phone calls back and forth to the surgeon, but really ... this isn't a substitute for personal examination.  And then ... who does the follow-up care, exactly, if things aren't just right?

Who exactly takes responsibility for patients when they return home, when the doctor is far away and beyond the borders?
Most Active