chickened out on part of my arm revision

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/20/09 11:01 am - OH
I had my revision on my one arm on Friday.  The primary purpose was to remove excess skin in the one armpit and then, secondarily, to fix a somewhat jagged section of the scar above the elbow on the same arm.  (My other arm looks GREAT!)  When I was talking to the surgeon about anticipated recovery as he was prepping me, he told me that the recovery for the armpit revision would be about the same as the first time around... and I just could NOT do that again. The first time around, I had a lot of pain in the armpits and spent several months unable to lift my arms completely above my head and (painfully) stretching out some "ropey" things in my armpits.  I told him I just couldn;t do that again (somehow I expected the revision to be easier).  SO he re-cut the whole incision above the elbow just UP TO the armpit, which will help the excess skin the armpit just a little (but will fix the problem with the scar whefre people can see it).

I know that it was MY decision, but I'm still a little disappointed that now I am stuck with uneven armpits for the rest of my life (I don;t see any way for me to pay to have it revised down the road).  I have just had WAY too much time healing from one surgery or another the past year... just couldn't deal with all that pain and trouble doing daily tasks again.  :(

Have to go back Thursday to get the stitches removed (yeah, he used stitches for the revision even though none of my other surgeries with him included stitches... always "glue")... cannot see the new incision because of the tape over it until then.  Trust it looks good, though.  Very little swelling (but some burising) this time around.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BrookeK
on 9/20/09 12:39 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Lora,
I usually just lurk here, preparing for my surgeries. (Scheduled Nov. 20).   I have always taken interest in your PS journey, though, because my arms look a LOT like yours did before surgery.  One of the PS I saw told me he would be conservative on how much he removed because if a revision is needed, it is so much easier "the second time around".  Now after reading your post, I'm not so sure about that. 

You know you said you are "stuck with uneven armpits for the rest of your life".  I can understand you wanting them to be the best they can be, but if you think about it, we ALL have something uneven on our bodies...and uneven armpits may not be the worst! 

I'm hoping when you get the bandages off and all, that everything looks good and hoping you like what you see.  I know they will look WAY better than my hanging batwings!  

Keep me posted,

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

Melissa M.
on 9/20/09 2:04 pm - Seabrook, TX
Hopefully the arm revision will look great and makeup for not having the "pretty" arm pit.  I can understand not wanting to go through the pain and discomfort of healing again.  After all, you really have had a rough go of it so I can't blame you.  I think there comes a time with PS when we have to accept our bodies for what it is.  So many people expect perfection, or something pretty darn close, but that is so unrealistic.  I'm sure there are many people out there who have had PS and can find something that they aren't totally happy with, whether it be uneven scars, leftover saggy skin, one side being bigger than the other, etc.  Even the best and most expensive surgeons aren't perfect.  

Just think how far you've come.  I'm sure you look great! 
Most Active