Consult with Dr. Agha

Redhaired
on 9/22/09 10:11 pm - Mouseville, FL
Diana-
Perhaps a consult with another world class plastics guy would help with the decision.  Have you considered a consult with Aly and Cram?  They are also recognized innovators in post bariatric plastics.

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 12:18 am - San Jose, CA
I have had conversations with them by email, and even was considering flying to Iowa for a consult last year.  However, that opportunity didn't happen (it was to be part of a trip back east), and my interest has waned for a couple of reasons: (1) I'd rather be close to home if possible; and (2) one thing I really like about Agha's work is he seems to have more appreciation for the curvaceous female form.  Many of Aly and Cram's pix show people "cut to the bone" and with somewhat boyish-figured outcomes (to me).  Agha is a fan of the hourglass figure.  He prefers his patients to arrive on his table 25 lbs over their goal weight, and to sculpt what is left.

I think your idea is a very good one.  But I have had consults with 3 local surgeons (all in my medical practice, in case I got insurance approval); a virtual consult with Aly and Cram via pictures (they wanted me to lose more weight first); an in-person consult with the Rosenstock-Lieberman clinic in Costa Rica (which I have not ruled out, although my husband is not crazy about my having surgery out of the country if we can afford in-country); and Agha.  I know what needs to be done, and I have an idea of the prices.  I am pretty confident that Agha is the most skilled of the bunch, especially when it comes to understanding the particular issues of post-morbidly obese patients and the issues that we have.

I'm coming to terms with the expense, since I have the money available (even if I don't want to spend it), and since I still have my class action suit against Health Net ongoing.  In the back of my mind, I would like to factor into the equation the possibility (however slight) that Health Net is going to pay for these surgeries in the end.  Yeah, that's the ticket -- visualize THEM cutting me a reimbursement check that is bigger, rather than smaller.  Why should they benefit from my keeping expenses to a minimum by going to Costa Rica??

I need to to get my head straight about this soon!
Redhaired
on 9/23/09 12:26 am - Mouseville, FL
Yep, there is no doubt he is an excellent surgeon.  There is also the added benefit that should you have complications you might have at least a prayer of having some of the expenses covered by your insurance.  I realize that that one is a huge "if and maybe" -- but it is something to consider. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 3:32 am - San Jose, CA
Actually, Agha's fees include supplemental insurance coverage for complications from "cosmetic" procedures.  My insurance most likely would cover such costs, if medically necessary, but it's reassuring to have the supplmental coverage (note to self: get copy of that policy and read it to see WHAT it actually covers).  Also, Agha's fees include any revisions and tweaks that might be needed.

There sure are a lot of 'ifs and maybes" involved though, aren't there??  I'm going to be getting a lot of exercise from the needed leaps of faith.
Redhaired
on 9/23/09 4:26 am - Mouseville, FL
I think it was Dr. LoMonaco who mentioned the supplemental insurance here once.  That is certainly a strong and reassuring selling point.  Regarding the tweaks and revisions -- will you have to cover the facility and anesthesia costs?

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 3:43 pm - San Jose, CA
Another good question.  I would imagine the hospital and anesthesia would not be covered, although  would hope that revisions and tweaks would be either office procedures or done as part of the second/third surgeries.
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 9:03 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
My surgeons have the same insurance.....just note that it only covers you for the first 30 days after surgery.  Anything that happens after that you are on your own......
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 3:37 pm - San Jose, CA
Thanks for that heads up -- I have asked for a copy of the policy to read it for myself.
Most Active