If It's Been Asked Once It's Been Asked A Million Times

RhondaRoo
on 9/17/09 9:03 pm - OH
so why can't I seem to find the answer under the search engine????

Anyway---here goes: I am just now beginning the process of PS; my first consult is with Dr. Kurtis Martin here in Cincinnati on October 6. At this point, I have an idea what I think is needed (LBL, inner thigh, breast lift); but I am really going to see what he recommends, then get an idea on pricing; as I am working now in order to save up for this--so I'm certain this is at least a year in the making.

But, here is my question for you good folks: how much *final* (after swelling, etc) weight did you lose after a Lower Body Lift? and How many sizes did that equate to? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out where I want to stop my weight loss (don't panic here, losing .5 lbs per month) prior to PS; for example, if 10 lbs is probable, then I'd stop at 135 to get to 125 to not be too thin.

Thanks for your input in helping me come up with a guesstimate.
RhondaRoo 256/235.5/131.8/120.0
Never, Never, Never Give Up  --Winston Churchill

mkgivens
on 9/17/09 10:05 pm, edited 9/17/09 10:12 pm - Brandon, MS
VSG on 03/18/09 with
I am going through the same thing. I have found that most reputable surgeons say that if you're within 10% of your goal you should stop and re-evaluate after plastics. They say that +/- 10% won't effect the results of your plastics. I actually regained a few pounds because I found that I looked too thin and emaciated especially in the face with even just a few less pounds at this point. It's amazing how much a few pounds can make a difference when you're at/near goal. Being too thin made me look about 10-15 years older! As I found out, a lot of the body areas I'm concerned with won't necessarily be helped by further weight loss, so there's no need to age yourself another 10 years for a few extra pounds that can be addressed by the plastics that you're going to have anyway. So i am holding at 138-139lbs right now until after my plastics. I am already a size 2/4 a don't want to go any smaller, I just want to look better/fitter without the saggy belly and skin.

Here are some web replies from MDs:

http://www.realself.com/question/Tummy-tuck-do-I-have-to-reach-my-weight-loss-goal-before-surgery-Reaching-your-goal-weight-before-a-tummy-tuck

http://www.realself.com/question/Tummy-tuck-do-I-have-to-reach-my-weight-loss-goal-before-surgery-Tummy-Tuck-After-Massive-Weight-Loss

5'4", Small/Medium Frame, Size 2/4

workingmommy
on 9/17/09 10:51 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
That is a really hard question to answer because we are all so different.  From my own experience:  I had a LBL on 6/10 and brachio, BL/BA on 7/14.  I had 17lbs removed from the LBL, and I think about a few from the second (the boobs may have cancelled out the arm skin..lol).  Pre-op I was 155lbs and a size 12 pants, medium tops.  Today I am 144 and a size 4/6 pants and small/medium tops.  I know I still have quite a bit of swelling.  I think I will settle into a 4 and stay small/medium on top.  Good luck and I hop you find the answer you looking for!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/09 2:50 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
HI!

It's tough to answer this because it truly is different with everyone.
Some people may have 20 lbs removed from their tummy and someone else may have 5 even though they both wear size 12 pants pre-surgery.  The difference could be that the one with the 20 lb loss was not at an ideal BMI yet and they had more fat and tissue removed than the person who had 5 lbs removed but it was all skin (no fat).   Make sense??

Every surgeon I had consultations told me the same thing.....skin removed does not weigh as much as we think it might.

I also learned that a good plastic surgeon will require you to be at goal or at least 10 lbs away.  They are not only interested in what goal you personally pick on the scale but also want you to be at a good BMI AND they want you to have maintained it or been stable for a while.

Keep in mind that the true final result may not be seen for 6 months because the swelling takes a long time to go down.  I think the average for most people is about 3 months for the swelling to go down significantly but I know many women who at the 6 month and even 8 month mark still swell at the end of the day....so it takes time to see the true final result.

Net/Net....I'd say determine what your personal goal is (bmi and weight) and when you are within about 10 lbs of it you should be ready to go.  That's just my opinon...I'm not a Dr so check with your surgeon.

Best wishes on your journey.
Ruth
Most Active