Tricare and plastics

Rebecca73
on 9/18/09 6:51 am - North Pole , AK
I am just about done with losing weight and now I have  flat tires for boobs. There is nothing there but skin. Hubby has been gone a year and i tried to tell him that going from DD to a B but he really was not prepared and the first night he was home and the look on his face well i wanted to cry and later did. he loves me just the way i am but gezzz i got nothing there. does anyone know how it works with tricare and plastics for getting boobs again?

Redhaired
on 9/19/09 1:08 am - Mouseville, FL
I would not get my hopes up that Tricare will cover augmentation.  Of course, you should try.  But your best bet would be to see if you can get in to see a plastic surgeon at a MTF.

Oh, and the Tricare policy on plastics as I recall specifically excludes psychological issues as justification for reconstructive surgery.

poet_kelly
on 9/19/09 4:56 am - OH
I don't know about Tricare specifically.  But most insurance companies will not pay for a breast augmentation.  Insurance companies usually only pay for plastic after WLS surgery if it is something like removing excess skin, and only then if the excess skin is causing a medical problem, like rashes that do not go away with topical or oral medications.

Kelly
cburgin
on 9/19/09 10:08 am - Valdosta, GA
I have the same prob with my "skin tubes" as I call them..lol  tricare doesnt pay for sqwat...im just going to end up getting a loan and doing it that way and getting exactly what i want...tricare wants you to have 12mths of documented  rashes (pics,prescriptions etc...) and have over 100 lb weight loss...AND..panni has to be hanging over your pubic bone AND they wont cover boobs unless its a reduction...i have had no luck trying to even get a referral to a PS...so i gave up and decided I would rather have a Dr. I want and the procedures I want...I think it may also depend on what tricare region you are in too..i dont know for sure about that tho
justasweety
on 9/19/09 12:24 pm - TN
A friend of mine was able to get a boob job with tricare.  However, she was able to get it because she agreed to allow the docs to be able to practice their reconstructive skills.  I will ask her how she got into that and what was required.  She wasn't that happy with her results either.
Kennerknecht
on 9/19/09 12:51 pm
tricare prime from what i know will pay for ONE cosmetic surgery and its to there discretion like once i lose my weight i will go for a tummy tuck type of situation. call them bug them until tey tell u that i have a few friends that had WLS and then tricare paid for there surgery 

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

Redhaired
on 9/19/09 2:42 pm - Mouseville, FL
The policy is very specific about covering the panniculectomy if medically necessary.  The policy does not state one cosmetic procedure.  Where does that come from?  All plastics have to be reconstructive in nature and medically necessary. 

jonelle32514
on 9/21/09 3:39 am - Pensacola, FL
I paid out of pocket for my boobs and my inner thigh lift.  I will also have to pay for my LBL because tricare will not cover any plastics for me, even though I did lose 170 lbs!! booo!!!

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

Rebecca W.
on 10/2/09 2:56 am - Crestivew, FL
Sent an e-mail earlier.  Just checking to see how your recovery is going?

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”       ~ Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/09 2:20 pm - Fort Lewis, WA
I think Tricare can be a little tricky!  My general surgeon gave me a referral to plastic surgery here at our military hospital.  The plastic surgeon then submitted to tricare and all was approved. I just had a belt lipectomy on 9/16 and breast augmentation with implants done. Tricare covered both and I will be going back in to have my thighs done once I have healed from this.  I had my procedures done at a Madigan Hospital here at Fort Lewis, Wa.  I think it's just the location and the military facility.  Madigan is a big training center. I am very pleased with the results so far and look forward to the final results once I am completely healed.  I forgot to mention that I am 18 months out from my gastric bypass and have lost 105 lbs.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Michelle D.
Most Active