Beginning my plastics journey...

~ Robin ~
on 9/16/09 9:07 am - Muskegon, MI
Hi all! I am fairly new to this forum, as I am just now beginning they plastics phase of my journey!  My PS consult is set for Oct. 6. I have selected (at least unless I don't like her...) Dr. Dena Thayer in Muskegon, MI. (per my PCP's suggestion)  I don't know if anyone lives in the Muskegon, MI area and has experience with her - but if so, I'd love to hear how you liked her and her work. I *hope* to be able to start my plastics around the beginning of the year, when my hubby has more vacation time. I want to be all healed up by spring/summer so I can be active!! 

I do have a few questions!! I am looking at at least a panniculectomy and mons lift. I am also going to see about breast reduction - if my insurance company will pay. (PCP thinks they should.) Anyway, I'm amost sure those would be 2 different surgeries, but we'll see - has anyone had their Panni removal and Breast Reduction at the SAME time? 

Also, how long can I expect my recovery time to be? How long before I should expect to be able to be alone and move around my house without help? How long before I should expect to be able to drive my kids to and from school?!?! I realize there are different levels of "recovered". Obviously, as a busy mom, these are things I need to know so that I can make arrangements while I'm unable to do things.

Thanks for any advice/tips!! 

Hugs! 

- I will learn to let go what I cannot change, but I will change whatever I can. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Have you taken your vitamins today? 

Leslie T.
on 9/16/09 9:46 am - Northern, KY
Hey Robin, I just wanted to wish you lots of luck!  I have been following your journey via your postings on the main board since your surgery.   You continue to impress me!!!   I am also beginning my plastic journey, I meet with PS Jennifer Butterfield on Oct. 22nd (arms and chest for now...after kids I am looking into a TT).

Good luck again!
Leslie
RNY 5/2008 180 pounds lost from highest weight.   TT and arms done 12/2009
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
wendybear1
on 9/16/09 10:09 am - Brooklyn, NY
From my experience, you can have the more extensive if you are in a hosptial, but if you do it outpatient at a plastic surgeon's office (which often have operating rooms), you will have to go in twice.

Having had both surgeries, twice is probably better for the healing, although my original tummy tuck was done in the hospital and is needing much revision by my PS of choice (not the original lady, who was the ONLY surgeon covered by insurance who would talk to me last summer).

I had two surgeries a month apart over the summer. I would NOT recommend doing them that close together. I'm still having issues and healing. I had complications from both (and have been warned by all the plastic surgeons that did consults with me... over ten) that following massive weight loss, compilications are much more common.

That being said, I'd do it all over again, if needed. I'm becoming very pleased with the results.

Wendy_Canada
on 9/16/09 12:11 pm - Canada
Hi Robin,

Congratulations on your new journey.  I had a tummy tuck (anchor) which is hip to hip then pubic area vertical up to just under my breasts to get my muffin top.  I also did a breast lift at the same time.  Some ladies do more but that was the extent my surgeon would do in one surgery.  It took 5 1/2 hours. 

Honestly very little sorness for the breast lift and the tummy tuck took a little more out of me than i expected but i feel like i'm super woman and should take on the world two days after surgery lol
It was very controlable with medication and from the day of my surgery till i started back at my desk job was 2 weeks.  I was tired and maybe should have taken an extra week off but when you don't get paid you push yourself back sooner.  My surgery was a monday and I was totally on my own within 3 days.  I didn't have children at home so i was able to just take care of me and sleep whenever i wanted to.  And i have a Bichon dog who takes very good care of me 

I rented one of those chairs that is a recliner and you push a button and it will take you right up to a standing position.  It was very easy on the stomach muscles and kept you in the ideal position while sitting.  Get one of those grabbers so if you drop things it gives you that long reach so you don't have to bend over.  As far as driving your kids to and from school?  Not until your off the strong pain meds which will probably be about two weeks. 

I am going back this coming monday to have my arms done so if you don't hear from me at least i will be reading and looking for your posts.  Welcome to the PS board

Wendy (Orillia Ontario)

DEBI R.
on 9/16/09 4:21 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Robin,

You'll heal alot faster from a panniculectomy than a TT because there's no muscle tightening.  I haven't had my breasts done yet but I've heard they can be painful. I had a LBL and brachioplasty and went back to work in less than 3 weeks, I have a desk job.

Good luck with your plastics.  I hope insurance approves everything. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/09 1:17 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi,
First let me say congrats on getting started with your plastic surgery journey.

Keep in mind recovery for everyone is different.  A lot depends on how you go into surgery.....are you healthy, getting lots and lots of protein, do you smoke, etc etc.

For me the Breast reduction was a piece of cake.  No pain at all, no healing issues!
The brachioplasty was a lot harder because you can't use your arms for a few weeks. 
I'm only 2 weeks out from my TT....I had the Anchor cut (vertical and horizontal incision).  I've been amazed at great I feel.  I was really careful to make sure I took my pain meds on schedule, that did the trick to keep me pretty much pain free.  I only take a couple of Aleeve during the day if I had a particular tiring day.  Like yesterday I went to the surgeon (1 1/2 hr drive each way), so I was tired and sore by the end of the day and take a couple.

I've been trying to blog/track my experience with each surgery feel free to read them on my profile if you want.

Best wishes to you!!
Ruth

~ Robin ~
on 9/17/09 6:22 am - Muskegon, MI
You guys are all so great!!!!! I truly appreciate each of you taking the time to give me your input, tips, advice, and encouragement!! Much like when i was researching my RNY, I feel like I am a sponge right now, just soaking up all the info I can find!! 

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions once I have my consult, but in the meantime I am enjoying reading everyone's experiences and I am in awe at how GREAT so many of you look! Thanks to those of you willing to honestly share your journey!! 

hugs!

- I will learn to let go what I cannot change, but I will change whatever I can. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Have you taken your vitamins today? 

RhondaRoo
on 9/17/09 8:47 pm - OH
OH MY GOODNESS, ROBIN---ME TOO!

I am just now starting to explore this, and have my first consult with PS #1 on October 6. In Ohio here, so first I'm going to consult with the PS my surgeon recommended--Dr. Kurtis Martin; and then I'm going to consult with a PS my RN sister recommeded--Dr. Jennifer Butterfield. I don't have any clue on when this will happen--as I first need to save some $$$$s What a great plan you have, and how exciting of a time.

I'll definitely be following your journey!
RhondaRoo 256/235.5/131.8/120.0
Never, Never, Never Give Up  --Winston Churchill

Most Active