Brachioplasty, mobility & recovery

Ms Shell
on 9/16/09 2:17 am - Hawthorne, CA
Please give me the good the bad and the ugly about recovery from a brachioplasty.  I am adding that to my lower body lift and now I'm like how will I wipe my ass, feed myself etc.

So anything you can tell me would be appreciated!!

15 days and counting ...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Cindy F.
on 9/16/09 2:33 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with

Wish I knew.  LOL  But here is a big hug to get us through the next few weeks.  YIKES and YAHOO at the same time.

Lunch Tuesday September 29!!!

Hugs

Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
Redhaired
on 9/16/09 5:45 am - Mouseville, FL
Actually the arm surgery was not that bad.  I spent a couple of days in the hospital but by the time I was discharged I was completely self sufficient.  No I was not reaching for things on top shelves and I did take it easy but I was able to take care of my "activities of daily living".

red

sonnieN
on 9/16/09 5:45 am - grand rapids, MI
I had my arms done w/ my brachio and had no problems w/ mobility & recovery.  I was always able to use my arms and pretty much had full mobility. I would recommend putting thing equally on both sides. My only issue was my right arm became a little sore but I realized that I had everything on my right side and was using that arm too much. I then had them bring in a tv dinner tray that I set up on my left and tried to split things between both.

Sonya
Jupiter6
on 9/16/09 11:09 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I had the abdominoplasty, brachioplasty and breast reduction all at once, and I can tell you  this---you absolutely CANNOT function alone for several days. Try now to get out of a chair while it's reclined without using your arms, and without tensing your gut muscles, and you'll see what I mean! I had help with everything you mentioned-- especially the bathroom, and showering, for over a week, and still needed help getting up and down from some chairs almost 3 weeks later.

I thought I'd tough it out and do it alone, but it's really just not possible or safe.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

DEBI R.
on 9/16/09 4:44 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I had a LBL and arms done and was using my arms the same day. Other than trying to keep the ace bandages on my arms I didn't have any problems, even washed my own hair on day 3. I do need a revision because he didn't take enough skin off of my arms or stomach. Good luck you'll do fine. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/09 4:09 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi
I've had a breast reduction and lift, a Full Tummy Tuck (anchor cut) and the brachioplasty (fyi- these were not done at the same time).
I can tell you that of all the procedures I've had done the brachioplasty was the worst.  It's really painful in the armpits and you really can't use your arms for a couple weeks...the first week is the worst.

I purposely did not and knowing what I've been through would not do the arms and the LBL together.  You can't use your stomach muscles and your legs will probably be sore too....you will need your arms to get you up and down.  You also need your arms to do your own wound care....it will be so much harder.  I can't imagine how I would put wound cream or scar cream on my buttocks with my arms barely usable.

Keep in mind the more work you have done at the same time the harder the recovery becomes.  With all my procedures I've had zero wound issues to date and I believe part of that is because I'm not over taxing my body during recovery.

That's just my 2 cents.......I know lots of people have it all done at once.

Best wishes and good luck with your journey
Ruth
Kim J.
on 9/17/09 5:20 am - Claremore, OK
Everyone's experience is different.  I went into this knowing I was going to hurt like nothing I have ever felt before.  I had a full TT, MR, BL, BA, Arm Lift and lipo all done at once.  My TT has been the easiest to deal with.  I pretty much have mobility with my arms and I was worried about the bathroom part too.  But I didn't go for about 3 or 4 days so by then I was better.  (OH, my advice to you and I'm not a Dr....By no means so Its just friendly advice, start on some stool softener, not laxitive but they have stool softner at Wal-Mart)  The meds really caused me probs with my stomach after RNY so I was worried about it this time.  I did the stool softeners and never had a problem.  Back to your arms, you won't be able to lift, of course, and you can't raise your arms, but for the most part I sat with my arms on pillows and one across my tummy and I was good!  I went back to the bed, from the recliner, after about a week.  I have 2 pillows behind my head, 1 under each arm and one under my knees and I sleep like that all night.  I don't know how I do it because I usually move lots in my sleep, but right now I don't move at all! 
You will need help.  I am 2 weeks out today and I get tired really easy.  I can't do much housework or shopping, dang it!  LOL!  Take it easy and make sure you have someone to give you lots of TLC and you will do just fine!
I wish you all the Best!
Kim J!

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." Erma Bombeck

19 lbs lost before surgery
9/3/09  Full TT, MR, BL, BA, Arm Reduction and Lipo 10-12 lbs skin/fat removed

blessmysunnysoul
on 9/18/09 4:04 am - rio dell, CA
Get some Zendo sis and let it flow LOLOLOL...

sweetness u gotta have someone come take care of u atleast a week. U got tons of friends that I am sure lolol have seen your ass just like I have so let them take turns adoring your new ass and rest those arms. Do u have a shower massager attachment on your shower? Atleast u can give yourself a quick clean with water that can be directed without getting u soaked ...thats what i did when i was so fat that i couldnt wipe my own ass. Seriously a great 20 dollar investment.

I wish i was closer!!

All that spirits desire, spirits attain. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/18/09 1:14 pm - OH
My brachioplasty (whi*****luded the armpits and all the way down along the outside of each breast to get rid of the "side boob" flaps of skin) was very painful and, despite a compression garment and/or ACE bandages,  I struggled with swelling and problems with being able to raise my arms up for several months.  I had it at a different time than my TT, so I cannot address the combined surgeyr issue, but wanted to let you know that brachioplasty pain/healing/swelling -- like all PS -- can vary widely.  Many people say it was really easy, but for some it was not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active