Ummm, I keep losing weight.

Monica P.
on 9/10/09 2:47 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

I know, this is an odd thing to worry about considering the journey we have all been on.

Since my lower body lift 2 weeks go I have lost almost 20 pounds. I know 9 pounds of skin was removed. About a week after surgery I noticed I had about 10 pound loss....that was fine, it made sense to me.

However, since I've come home I have no appetite, and I've dropped almost another 10 pounds. I easily go 2-3 days without eating anything. It was even hard to get enough water and I knew things were getting out of hand when I woke up the other morning with the runs. I was dehydrating myself!!

I spent the day drinking gatorade, water and then pedialyte. I'm much better now.  I'm making myself drink water but its a challenge.

I am forcing myself to eat! Yesterday I had a piece of grilled chicken thigh. Today, I had some grilled fish and just now I forced myself to drink a protein shake with decaf coffee, it took me over an hour to drink 16 ounces if it. I was SO FULL, I must have shrunk my pouch or something.

Is it possible this is a side effect of the anestesia? Will this wear off? I'm worried I won't have the strength to get thru the day when I return to work.

wen
on 9/10/09 9:13 pm - Manchester, NH
That is a lot to lose in that short a time!   Be careful.   I would say maybe the effects of the anesthesia may not have worn off.  At your stage I was even having the emotional melt downs from it.   I have a band and I WAS much tighter for the first month but now that has gone back to normal..so maybe the swelling has something to do with that as well.  

I knew I needed protein to heal properly so I made MEGA shakes....Vanilla Unjury..Chocolate Smart Milk and a Vanilla Ensure all blended.  That is calories, vitamins AND protein in one bang.  I did not feel much like meals for awhile but I did make sure I was getting enough calories and protein.  Add a Vitamin C tablet in there if you can.   Also...I was eating high calorie soups and ice cream..which normally would be a huge no-no..but again..making sure I had it..I wanted to heal properly.  All in all I lost 10lbs and I did not have as much skin as you ladies so I think I nailed it.  

TAKE CARE and be careful!   Not only for your nutrition but it can set you back healing wise big time.  Your body is going through a lot right now.  Take care of it.   Oh..and get a nap in there if you can.  I took one every day for at least 1/2 hour if I could.  That was for about 3 weeks as well.   

katiekat412
on 9/11/09 1:12 am
I've read that others feel very restricted after a TT, so I'm sure you fall into this category. I can't comment on experience, but I guess it would be back to the basics: very frequent, high priten meals. Try adding peanut butter to your protein shakes to get extra calories and fats.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Ms Shell
on 9/11/09 1:35 am - Hawthorne, CA
Monica if you aren't eating or drinking then yes you are going to maybe loose weight, or muscle or water!!  All that running and muscle building you've done, let's not undo it cause you aren't taking total care of yourself.

I haven't had surgery (20 days and counting) but I know when I wear my girdle I eat less then without, so maybe now that you are all tight that's causing the full feeling.  But full or NOT...you NEED to eat or DRINK.  Forget FOOD right now, I remember you used to like those 35g RTD protein shakes we got from the vitamin shoppe.  Make it a goal to drink 2 of those a day and water and that's it.  You really need the protein and nutrition right now. 

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

MSHAMO
on 9/11/09 1:54 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
Make sure that you are getting enough water and protein so your body can heal. Other than that, enjoy that you're appetite is low, it won't last for long. I think the pain pills I took really cut my appetite, but that only lasted until I got off them, then my appetite was bigger then before my surgery. Good luck!!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Cindy F.
on 9/11/09 2:47 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
I know that can be considered a problem but sounds great to me.  LOL.  Just make sure you drink and maybe protein shakes are the way to go right now so your sure to get in your protein to heal.  And of course water, water water.  hang in there.  I am sure at some point you will get your appetite back. 

Your doing so good!!!!  Hope I do as well. 

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
Jupiter6
on 9/13/09 9:15 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I'm going to shoot straight here--- if you had surgery and are not consuming protein, you will compromise your healing and can really injure yourself. After surgery you need to actually INCREASE your intake. Do whatever you have to do-- drink shakes, take supplements, but give your body what it needs... pronto!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active