Panni Surgery Scheduled 10/15 - worried about muffin top

Tisha C.
on 9/10/09 3:48 am - Signal Hill, CA
My Panni removal was approved by my insurance on the first try (Aetna HSA).  My PS talked of "upgrading" to a TT and even gave me a killer deal because of the professional relationship that he has with my step-mom.  However, money wise I still can't swing it so I've decided to go ahead with just the pani removal.

My worry is that I do have extra skin above my belly button, too, so I do worry about a muffin top.  I understand that it will be there but I'm willing to go through with the Panni removal right now and do the TT at a later time when I can afford it.

Should I completely worry about my muffin top look?  Will it get pulled down slightly during the normal panni removal process?

Also, how should I prepare myself ahead of time to help with healing?  I read that I should be drinking my water and taking in lots of protein since protein helps the healing process.  I worry about being out of work at that time as we were work in the employee benefits industry and I'll be out right smack in the middle of renewals and open enrollments.  Yikes.

I had wanted to have it sooner but my step-mom is having her own PS on the 17th of this month (I currently live with my dad and step-mom - she's an RN) and I didn't think it would be smart for both of us to be recovery mode at the same time.  My dad would probably lose his mind. LOL

I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!  I look at it like just one more step to my final transformation. :-D
Tisha
Anchor Cut TT 02/25/10
Lap RNY 03/29/06
   326    /   175
(Start / Present)

~Dave Matthews Band
Joanna O.
on 9/10/09 3:55 am - Manchester, NH
YAY someone else thats shaking in their boots.  Thank god I am not the only one.  I already have a muffin top so at least it will be a contoured muffin top.  like a bakery one.  I have no idea.  I am so scared that my shakes have the shakes.   Luckily I have 2 cats that think life is a bowl of cherries and love me all day.

My surgery is on the 30th of this month so I will update you on Muffin tops.
~*Joanna*~        
Tisha C.
on 9/10/09 5:14 am - Signal Hill, CA
On September 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM Pacific Time, Joanna O. wrote:
YAY someone else thats shaking in their boots.  Thank god I am not the only one.  I already have a muffin top so at least it will be a contoured muffin top.  like a bakery one.  I have no idea.  I am so scared that my shakes have the shakes.   Luckily I have 2 cats that think life is a bowl of cherries and love me all day.

My surgery is on the 30th of this month so I will update you on Muffin tops.
Good Luck!  I'll keep you in my thoughts on the 30th. :-)
Tisha
Anchor Cut TT 02/25/10
Lap RNY 03/29/06
   326    /   175
(Start / Present)

~Dave Matthews Band
Jandell
on 9/10/09 4:18 am - Glendora, CA
Ask your Dr just what will be done, they should tell you just how much they will remove.

I had my TT 2 weeks ago and was very surprised at how much more my PS removed than I even thought possible.

Recovery hasn't been that bad, I've been bored out of my gourd though. It sounds good to hear you can't do anything but read a good book or watch chick flicks until you have to do it for 2 weeks! Pain hasn't been bad, more of a major discomfort.

Eating wise, with the binder I can't eat more than a few bites, I feel so stuffed. I've been drinking lots and making sure what I do eat is protein.

Best wishes to you!
Jan
I know I can, I know I can
BigCityGirl
on 9/10/09 4:22 am - San Diego, CA
I think you are correct to be concerned about the muffin top after a panni.  Have you looked into financing with Care Credit?  To have a second surgery later will cost a whole lot more than the difference your surgeon will charge combined with this procedure.   Basically, you would be paying the full price for a TT later on.   And of course, you will have to go through the healing all over again.

Care Credit will give you 24 months to pay if off.  And depending on the arrangement your surgeon has with them and your credit rating, you could get the loan at no interest.  I've done this before and paid 0% interest. 

I'm sure that you'll see some improvement with the panni but I don't think you would get the great results you see that others get here with their TT's and LBL's.

Good luck - hope everything works out for you.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Tisha C.
on 9/10/09 5:18 am - Signal Hill, CA
On September 10, 2009 at 11:22 AM Pacific Time, BigCityGirl wrote:
I think you are correct to be concerned about the muffin top after a panni.  Have you looked into financing with Care Credit?  To have a second surgery later will cost a whole lot more than the difference your surgeon will charge combined with this procedure.   Basically, you would be paying the full price for a TT later on.   And of course, you will have to go through the healing all over again.

Care Credit will give you 24 months to pay if off.  And depending on the arrangement your surgeon has with them and your credit rating, you could get the loan at no interest.  I've done this before and paid 0% interest. 

I'm sure that you'll see some improvement with the panni but I don't think you would get the great results you see that others get here with their TT's and LBL's.

Good luck - hope everything works out for you.
I have looked into CareCredit, but because of a bankruptcy I was unable to qualify.  I've gone back and forth over the last couple of weeks about what I wanted to do - save up for the full TT or do the Panni removal now and TT later.  Because of my current living situation, it seems as though this is the prime time for me to begin Phase 2 of  "Transformation Tisha" (Phase 1 was my WLS).  If I look at it in terms of phases then I think I'll be good to go.

He did assure me that he wouldn't do just the panni removal if it left me looking unsightly, so I guess that's a good thing.  I'm hoping to see him again soon so that we can talk more in depth about things.
Tisha
Anchor Cut TT 02/25/10
Lap RNY 03/29/06
   326    /   175
(Start / Present)

~Dave Matthews Band
Ms Shell
on 9/10/09 5:49 am - Hawthorne, CA
Is it possible to get a cosigner? 

Just to know that right now your doc is charging you the difference and certain things like the operation room and anesthesia are already being paid for to get the panni.  That won't be the case later.  Believe me when I say I KNOW how wanting to begin the NEXT phase feels.

Good luck to you.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

MistersMom65
on 9/10/09 3:19 pm - TN
I'm so GLAD that BigCityGirl brought up about Care Credit BUT you don't necessarily get 24 months at 0% financing. I'm using this for my surgery and I was told by my Dr & Care Credit that the FACILITY determines how long you get the interest free. Mine (Vanderbilt Hospital Plastics) only allows 12 months. I am disappointed but am going to make SURE I pay it off in that time. Also I was surprised that I qualified because of my credit.PS BigCityGirl you look GREAT!!!! I've followed you .

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

CThrasher
on 9/10/09 9:09 am - CA
Okay...here is what I did.  The insurance paid for the panni...I  decided I would pay for the full TT and was quoted $5500...once the surgeon (he had previously done my arms 4 weeks prior) examined my tummy he thought I would do better with a bi directional TT which was an additional $2200 bringing my out of pocket to $7700  which I could not afford, especially after paying over $5000 for my arms so recently.   I went with the conventional TT and the panni.  I have a muffin top.  In hind sight,   I think I would have done what you  are saying...done the panni  now and waited til I could afford the recommended bi directional.  I have a huge pooch right at my pubic area...still resembles Ken doll after   almost 8 months. At first  surgeon said it was swelling...but now wants to do another surgery to reduce the pubic area...for a price I might add.
I have seen other surgeries he has done and they have no pooch...so  I am feeling like I didn't get a good job.  He also did my arms and my scars are really  bad...they are 9 months out and although  I am happy with the trade off of scars for hanging  flab...I am somewhat disappointed all in all.    I had my TT on a Thursday and was back to work on  the following Tuesday...I had very little discomfort...the worst was  walking bent over for 2 weeks and one of my drains had to stay in for 20 days...other than that    piece of cake.   I think you will be so  happy with  even the panni removal for now...when you can afford it go back and  fine tune the rest,
DrL
on 9/10/09 2:36 pm - Houston, TX
I would wait....converting a panni into a nice TT is NOT an easy operation and the results will not be as good as if you get a nice TT up front.

Maybe you would have to wait but were talking about a body you worked hard on, right ?
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active