Pre-lower body lift "prep'....

Critterchick44
on 9/6/09 12:23 pm
I am having LBL on 9/14/09. I have all the confidence in the world in my surgeon as he did my WLS in 2005 and I have had fabulous results. My delicate question is as follows... What kind of preparations should I make for my lower region for the surgery? Oh my, how to say it...I'm usually well kept, but should I get rid of any specific area or all? Weed whip of mow? I couldn't look my surgeon in the eye and ask this question. It's easier to come to strangers behind the safety of the Internet...I'm sorry if this question offends anyone....I certainly don't mean to. This is the only thing I have anxiety over regarding the surgery! Any thoughts so I don't look like a fool come surgery day? Thank you in advance for your response.
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/09 12:26 pm - Haleiwa, HI
I did finally ask my Dr if I could get a Brazillian wax, and he said that he thought it would be better than shaving.  I have my LBL scheduled for Oct 8, so I plan on getting my wax about 1 week before.  You really should ask your surgeon or even call and ask one of the nurses because they might have a different opinion. 

Good luck with your surgery!
Kennedy12
on 9/6/09 12:45 pm - Chicago, IL
I shaved completely because I didn't want to waste time under anesthesia having them do it for me. I am having a LBL 9-9-09 and asked if it was a good idea and was told yes.

I couldn't bring myself to have a Brazilian wax job, so I just shaved it instead.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Monica P.
on 9/6/09 12:57 pm, edited 9/6/09 1:09 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

Read my profile about my brazilian wax experience, I dare you. :)

I'm post-op one week, and didn't shave or anything before hand, I'm doing just fine.

totalfreedom
on 9/6/09 12:57 pm - Northern CA

Hi,

I shaved.  No need to wax and get irritated.  It takes a long..... time for the hair to return!

:-)

congratulations and best wishes.

Kelli

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Critterchick44
on 9/6/09 1:46 pm

I thank all of you for your kind responses and I appreciate your feed back!

Good luck to all of you on your continuing journeys...You are all so beautiful, inside and out!

-Judy

vickie O.
on 9/6/09 2:05 pm - amarillo, TX
i was told by my doc and hospital not to shave or wax anything.  the irritation could cause problems. so i let them do what they needed to do and i was out so i didn't get embarrassed or anything. good luck on your surgery. vick

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

DrL
on 9/6/09 2:16 pm - Houston, TX
Shaving prior to surgery is not recommended.  Hopefully, a nurse from the hospital will call and explain this.  The reason is that tiny little ingrowns can form and get infected. These little red bumps hold germs that can't easily be cleaned by the prep.

A standard part of every surgery in a hair-bearing area is the shave the patient with electric clippers that don't pull the hairs, then do a surgical prep.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/09 7:15 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Dr L,

What do you think about waxing since ingrown hairs usually do not happen from that? 
DrL
on 9/9/09 12:53 am - Houston, TX

Hi. As longa s you do not have redness, bumps, or irritation that shoule be fine.  The old practice of doing the shave the night before is really what's to be avoided.

And remember, they will take care of everything using clippers followed by the antibacterial scrub the morning of...

Happy healing !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active