How to tell when you've overdone it, post-op! (Long rant, sorry, but I need it)

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 9:58 am
Okay, here's what happened yesterday (about 5 weeks post-op circumferential flab-ectomy, and I'm 49 YO).  

Basic housework to get the house clean enough for the cleaning lady.  Also, took rambunctious medium sized dog to groomer.  TOTAL TIME:  THREE HOURS

I "had" to put my classroom together, in smoggy Los Angeles heat, while occupying a nine year old autistic son, moving supplies accross campus, and up a double-flight of stairs.  The other teacher had not cleared out the room first, so I took care of that.  TOTAL TIME:  FIVE HOURS

My 18 YO son and 14 YO daughter arrived to help me.  Then, his car refused to start.  We had to get him towed, all other kids as well, across town to automotive repair, while younger son had complete and total meltdown.  TOTAL TIME:  THREE HOURS

On the way home, ALL children in car arguing, received a call that my elderly mother had a slip-and-fall.  When I arrived home, got a call that she'd had a second one, and was en route to emergency room.  Sent children off to dinner with someone else, husband drove me to ER to meet mom (I would have done it myself, but I had just taken Vicodin).  Mother is jaundiced and has gall bladder problems, will have to have surgery.  TOTAL TIME:  SIX HOURS.

Then, I got home, took a shower, more Vicodin, and went to sleep.

Now ... much of this was planned, but a lot of it was unavoidable.

Nonetheless, I woke up today, and surprise surprise, surPRISE!  I'm oozing thick fluid out of a new teensy break in my vast incisional line.  GROSS!!!  (I'd call the doctor but this happened also about two weeks ago -- not the type of DAY, but the type of ooze 

17-18 hours hard labor and intense emotional chaos post-op at five weeks -- I'm tellin' ya -- It's too much!!!  (So I've spent all day in bed, eating, drinking, sleeping, eating, drinkng, sleeping ...  See?  Overdoing it post-op will turn you into a virtual house-cat!)

Kennedy12
on 9/5/09 10:28 am - Chicago, IL
Wow, I am sorry you had to go through all of that and in one day no less! Take good care of yourself. I hope the oozing stops soon and you are on the mend!

I am amazed you attempted all that at 5 weeks. I have my LBL Wednesday and am really curious to see how I recuperate.

I really enjoy reading your posts, but hope they are more positive from here on out, for your sake!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/09 2:16 pm
Hey, good luck on Wednesday, that is very exciting!

I didn't really "attempt"  ALL of that at five weeks -- I mean, my kid's car broke down and if you're the mom you help your kid.  And my mother's body broke down, and if you're the daughter (especially the only child) then ... you help your mother.  It was just a difficult confluence of cir****tances.

So ... do as I say, and not as I did!  Be compliant, rest as much as possible ... and sdee if you can possibly sleep away six weeks of your life to recover LOL
MistersMom65
on 9/5/09 11:35 am - TN
Oh my GOSH Charming!! I'm so sorry that ANY of this happened much less all at ONCE!!! Please keep us updated on your oozing issue. Take care of you. I'm amazed you were able to do so much this close out!!!

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

661jennifer
on 9/5/09 1:17 pm - bakersfield, CA
Yeah you over did it biggg time...I'm tired reading it and I am preop. So take it easy for a few your charming but not a super hero. And even then they need a break also.
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

Monica P.
on 9/5/09 1:50 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

Ok, you're scaring me.  I'm afraid to go back to work, and now I'm afraid of the move I made back home to live with mom.

In addition to all my slicing and dicing, my elderly mother has been diagnosed with some pretty severe cataracts. I've made the move home to help take care of her since I'm the only sibling who can...

I'm wondering, are there people in your life that you can ask for help with stuff? Like with me for example..I had so many friends just show up to do stuff. I'm pretty independent and stubborn and its hard for me to accept help....but I'm learning that its part of being a friend.....helping others when they need it and LETTTING PEOPLE HELP YOU.

Please, please take good care of yourself and get the rest you need. We are always here to listen to you vent when you need it. :)

victoria R.
on 9/6/09 8:26 am - goose creek, SC
Charming
You had one heck of a day there girlfriend.  I havnt had plastics yet but I overdid it a bit after my last Csection back in 2005 and opened up my insicion a bit.  I hope today is going better for you and you're back to a speedy recovery.  I always enjoy your posts.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Most Active