FMLA approval- please help!

katiekat412
on 9/4/09 9:25 am
Hi all,

I asked once before, and someone posted that my job would have to cover my FMLA because the law states anything requiring an overnight stay in the hospital is covered by FMLA. I called MetLife, and they acted like no one had ever asked the question, and then said no, that  PS work would probably not be covered. I explained that my insurance was covering it (not telling them I would be getting additional work besides tummy) and they said it didn't matter! That can't be right, right?

To make matters worse, I'm probably having the surgery done in Mexico, and I don't know if that will complicate things. Any FMLA stories are welcome, espcially those that have anything to do with out of the country visits!!

Please help!

Kat

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

sonnieN
on 9/4/09 12:00 pm - grand rapids, MI
I have MetLife for my short-term disability insurance. Typically they will not cover PS as a leave of absence unless it is medically necessary. I submitted my claim and they contacted my surgeons office who let them know that this was medically necessary to remove the excess skin and I was covered for 4 weeks and would have been for more if my surgeon thought I should be off longer. The key when speaking w/ MetLife is to let them know that it  is a reconstructive surgery  due to an extreme weight loss after GB and the skin is deterorating w/ rashes etc. and don't say plastic surgery.

Hope this helps.

Sonya
katiekat412
on 9/5/09 10:08 am
Thanks! Any chance you had your procedure outside the US?

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

sonnieN
on 9/6/09 1:25 am - grand rapids, MI
No. Mine was done in the US.
DrL
on 9/6/09 2:08 pm - Houston, TX
The doctor's office performing the procedure is repsonsible for filling out the forms, and they can request records if they need confirmation.  So not sure how that will work out in Mexico.

Help me out here...I have never involved the insurance companies in the FMLA process. I thought  the documents came from your work, doc fills them out, end of story ???
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active